yconic - How to become a leader in university starting from year 1?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How to become a leader in university starting from year 1?

A photo of Mar Mar
How to become a leader in your program starting from year 1?
Anyone of you making plans for your first year in University?
Is it good idea to take leadership roles starting from first year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
45 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I would advise against starting a club or something in your first year because you're dealing with a lot already. Sure you can join clubs as a general member and then apply for some exec positions in 2nd year. But even then, being an exec on more than 2 clubs is a LOT to handle and it means either your academic or social life will suffer. You have at least 4 years at university (assuming you're not doing a 3 year BA), you've got plenty of time to show off your leadership skills.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xxMoonCakezxx xxMoonCakezxx
So basically at Frosh week you just sign up to two/three clubs that you know you're interested in?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
During the 1st week of school, each school usually has an open day for clubs. Each club will have a table and a sign up list, some posters/info about them, students talking about what they do etc. You can sign up for them there (but I suggest only signing up for ones you're truly interested in or you'll end up on a million mailing lists). Sometime in September they'll send out an email for the first general meeting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
Make yourself known during frosh week, do something out of the ordinary
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 123abcuwo 123abcuwo
Join 2-3 clubs, get as involved as you can in those clubs. Some clubs have exec positions reserved for first-year students, too. Each residence also has councils, rep positions, etc. available so that's another way to be active in your rez & meet a lot of people. There'll also be something similar to a "Volunteer Week" where students will be able to find out more info or sign up to volunteer at local organizations, charities, etc. Don't join a bunch because you're just wasting your $$, as you probably won't show up to a single one of those club meetings.
Don't take on too much; transitioning to university life isn't easy & you'll soon find yourself feeling overwhelmed if you try to do a bunch of ECs while maintaining high marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@Qq wrote
Make yourself known during frosh week, do something out of the ordinary

The more illegal the better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mar Mar

Thanks to everyone who left a post in this thread

Right now I am trying to make myself a well rounded person.
I want to be competitive in as many things as possible.

I don't really want to join any clubs until my second or third year. I actually would love to start my own club but only if I'll come up with some new and interesting idea.
What do you usually have to do on the exec position?

Since I'll be a little older than most of the first year students I want to use this advantage wisely. I am also legal to buy alcohol, which means that I can buy alcohol for first year students and also host my own parties.

Is it better to live in residence or rent a place close to university?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stuiecam123 stuiecam123
Depends what your scene is...residence is kind of like a summer camp with super thin walls. If you're straight out of high-school and you like being "cliquey" and you can admit you're still immature go for it you'll love it (nothing wrong with that) but if you like you're own space from time to time, like being independent (you're even able to eat by yourself at the caf!)and the thought of being surrounded by people that could potentially annoy you then get your own place...
But having said...first year can be stressful enough sometimes it's just easier to have all that living stuff taken care of in a package, besides it'll soon enough just be a memory.
I myself live off campus but have already had a few years of learning to live on my own, but with first year it was still a lil' tough at times to schedule everything.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Your student union or association is a good place to get into a leadership role, but many of them are corrupt, disgusting, left-wing organizations.

There are also program-specific clubs. Those are generally really good and you'd be with like-students in the same program as you.

Avoid sororities and fraternities at all costs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom

@ARMY101 wrote

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken

@littleroom wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

+1

+2
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
What's wrong with sororities and frats?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
What's wrong with sororities and frats?

They, like residences, are breeding grounds for criminal activity and deplorable gang acts. They also have the added horror of initiations.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That's certainly the vibe you'd get after watching movies like Animal House and Old School, but that's not actually what they're like in Canada. And no school-sanctioned frat or sorority can use hazing to initiate its pledges.

They're pretty much just clubs. In my experience (never as a frat member but as a friend of quite a few friends who are frat and sorority members [of several different frats/sororities]), they treat their members and the general public with respect.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

And no school-sanctioned frat or sorority can use hazing to initiate its pledges.

Hazing still happens quite a bit though for sports teams and frats/sororities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

There's undoubtedly some form of initiation going on at every Greek organization, but, from what I've heard from several sources, hazing - in the sense that you actually fear the initiation practice - is not common. That's not to say that it doesn't occur, though.

Many schools have policies that any frat or sorority that uses potentially harmful hazing practices will, with little mercy, lose its right to be affiliated with the school. Pledges are expected to keep hush about what goes on during initiation, but every Greek that does haze faces a pretty high risk that they will lose school sanctioning.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

And no school-sanctioned frat or sorority can use hazing to initiate its pledges.

They're "not allowed" but they do continue to use hazing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGill_University#Hazing_scandal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraternities_and_sororities#Hazing_issues
http://www.globecampus.ca/blogs/parents-view/2009/03/06/hazing-serious-problem-canadian-universities/
http://www.theepochtimes.com/news/5-10-13/33263.html

Oh look, and even a few weeks ago, a New Brunswick volleyball team was suspended for hazing rituals: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/12/09/nb-stu-hazing-volleyball-suspended-210.html.

It's absolutely still an issue, regardless of whether it's "allowed" or not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Varsity sports teams =/= Greek organizations.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh look, Wikipedia has a page for that too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazing_in_Greek_letter_organizations

The issue is not hazing in specific organizations though, the issue is that hazing does occur in various organizations across campuses. Some of that hazing comes from sports organizations, but hazing is constantly associated with Greek organizations.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote

Oh look, Wikipedia has a page for that too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazing_in_Greek_letter_organizations

Thanks, I DID need a definition of hazing in Greek organizations.

That's really just a belief of yours. Yes, it does occur; does it occur often enough that I would discourage anyone from joining one, like you did? Absolutely not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks, I DID need a definition of hazing in Greek organizations.

That's really just a belief of yours. Yes, it does occur; does it occur often enough that I would discourage anyone from joining one, like you did? Absolutely not.

Every sorority and fraternity has some sort of initiation process to get into the club. That's why they treat it as an "exclusive" club: because they did something that no one else has done.

Sometimes the initiation process is just a night of stupid games. But more often than not, it crosses the line into criminal activity, where the person has to drink to excess and/or commit crimes such as theft, trespassing, or lewd behaviour.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Replace "more often than not" with "on occasion," and I'll agree with you and your statement will more closely reflect reality.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of biosci biosci
I wouldn't argue with a law student haha :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@biosci wrote
I wouldn't argue with a law student haha :compress:

Or an internet troll.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mar Mar

@ARMY101 wrote
Your student union or association is a good place to get into a leadership role, but many of them are corrupt, disgusting, left-wing organizations.

There are also program-specific clubs. Those are generally really good and you'd be with like-students in the same program as you.

I there sororities and fraternities in all large Canadian universities? Isn't it going to be a fun life experience?

What do you usually have to do in the club if you are an executive or you have another leadership role?
Was this helpful? Yes 0