yconic - How to check course instructor/proffesor teaching a class on ROSI?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How to check course instructor/proffesor teaching a class on ROSI?

A photo of Radiation Radiation
So, after taking my first linear algebra class (MAT223), I noted that I do not have a competent instructor despite being the best class time for my schedule. So, if I want to change to another lecture, how would I check which professor/instructor is teaching it on ROSI? I've only heard of one competent teacher that teaches this course well, and that is Sean Uppal according to second and third year students. If his lecture is full, am I screwed?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of kraken kraken
I don't think there's a way to check on ROSI, but they're mostly posted here. some are still tba though, weird http://www.artsandscience.utoronto.ca/ofr/timetable/winter/mat.html

and if the other profs all suck, you could sneak into Uppal's lecture. no one checks attendance at lectures generally, and there are usually people who skip so it's not like every seat will be full.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for the quick response, Kraken.

The wait-list for Uppal's lecture is only 1 student, while my lecture has 6 students on the wait-list. I am guessing things will change midway through the course. Unfortunately, if I were to enroll in his class, the lecture on Friday will conflict with my Calculus class. Do they allow course conflicts or not? I wouldn't have much of a problem missing Calculus sometimes on Fridays and linear algebra at other times. If not, my second option would be to go his Tuesday class and then go to the lecture I am actually registered for on Thursday. But then that would just be a disaster waiting to happen, as he may cover things my instructor will cover in the Thursday class and vice-versa.

What would you suggest? Thanks again for all the help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
They allow conflicts, yeah. Yeah like you said, going to some of two profs' lectures will probably mess you up... you might get some stuff twice and some not at all. If you think you're fine with missing some of each class on fridays then I'd say go for Uppal's. And the waitlists get taken down this monday I believe, so if you don't get in by then, just sit around reloading on ROSI a lot and wait for someone to drop.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

In the event that I can't register for his class (students don't drop), would I get in serious trouble for attending his lecture without being enrolled in the class? Also, what would I do for term tests? I would still take it with my original lecturer, no?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
No one will notice/care. Lots of people go to the wrong lecture... but if there's only one person on the waitlist it's likely that spaces will become available.

And yeah you'd probably have to take it in the lecture you were enrolled in. But I'm not sure... it might not matter because for some courses they just give the tests of the people in each tutorial to its TA to be marked, and since the tutorials aren't lecture-specific it might not really matter.
Was this helpful? Yes 0