yconic - How to develop good writing skills?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How to develop good writing skills?

A photo of ManUtd123 ManUtd123
Hey guys, I'm taking English in summer school - I'm wondering on how can I develop my writing skills. Can anyone give me some tips/study advice?

Do you guys think a 90+ is achievable in grade 12 english? If so what ways can I go in achieving this mark. Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of heesoup heesoup
90+ is definitely achievable. English is so subjective that it depends on your teacher. Find out what your teacher expects from you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of treecows treecows
Read. (Has to be good literature though, Twilight and other young adult crap is not going to help you)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
Like a lot of the other posters wrote, you need to read. Not just novels or plays, you also need to read and understand various articles and essays. Here is what you need to remember, though; you might have good writing skills in one form of writing (e.g. poetry) while having more trouble writing other forms (essays, short stories, etc.). Whatever it is you want to be a better writer at, read and analyze how other people do it. For example, if it is essays you want to write better, read other people's essays. Look for grammar, sentence structure, and how they organize their ideas. Also look for any rhetorical devices that flavour the writing (any interesting puns, metaphors, personifications are good to note). At the same time, read on the opinions of the author and decide on whether that opinion and the supporting arguments make sense to you. This way, while you read what others write, you would have a better idea of how it would be critiqued. But here's the more important thing you should do; make sure you understand what the author is talking about. If the topic is something you don't know anything about, it will not be useful to you. If you know well about the topic, and the author's writing does not make sense, then that's when you know it's poorly written. You should decide what is a good writing style based on what you read and follow suit with it in your own writing.

In summer school, 90+ is probably a lot more achievable than it is in day school. I say this because teachers are not likely to assign projects as huge as they would during the semester due to time constraints. Hopefully your teacher, whoever it may be, will take pleasure in your writing. Good luck with English.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of ktel ktel
I've been writing since I was 3. Suckers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of History History
Hey, ManUtd123, don't mind ARMY101, he's just some loser who's in his mid 20's and consistently attempts to undermine prospective university/college students. He's awfully insecure and gloats quite a lot despite there being nothing impressive about himself. Back during the old forum days, he would claim working at McDonalds was a career job. Quite frankly, I don't know if he's a troll or just some low-life because a lot of posts, clearly, are aimed to attack teenagers like yourself. Nevertheless, he then goes to create helpful threads like his 'OSAP tips' thread. He's just jealous that students, like yourself, have a chance of doing something special with their degree (like attending Graduate school). He wanted to go law school, but was not admitted because his level of douchebaggery was too high for their liking. Also, his CGPA was very, very low. On a scale from 1-10 (of being a douchebag), he is a, ummm, i'd say a 22 - Army is quite the douchebag. His credibility has plummet after every single post he applies.

Now, back to your question. A 90% is achievable. Why? Well, in Grade 11, I had a 72% in English class. In Grade 12, I had a 90%. As Kevin Garnett once declaired, anything is possible, sir.

Cheers! :-D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of History History
Also, he may well be another teenage student who is a troll. He might not be in his mid 20's; rather, he may very well be our age or maybe even his 30's. He's a freak, so there's no knowing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ You're saying what we're thinking.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@ktel wrote
I've been writing since I was 3. Suckers.

Newspapers? Then you're incredible. Or what were you writing?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Started out with my name. Moved to small sentences and then to short stories. Then just English class at school. And now technical writing only.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@History wrote
Hey, ManUtd123, don't mind ARMY101, he's just some loser who's in his mid 20's and consistently attempts to undermine prospective university/college students. He's awfully insecure and gloats quite a lot despite there being nothing impressive about himself. Back during the old forum days, he would claim working at McDonalds was a career job. Quite frankly, I don't know if he's a troll or just some low-life because a lot of posts, clearly, are aimed to attack teenagers like yourself. Nevertheless, he then goes to create helpful threads like his 'OSAP tips' thread. He's just jealous that students, like yourself, have a chance of doing something special with their degree (like attending Graduate school). He wanted to go law school, but was not admitted because his level of douchebaggery was too high for their liking. Also, his CGPA was very, very low. On a scale from 1-10 (of being a douchebag), he is a, ummm, i'd say a 22 - Army is quite the douchebag. His credibility has plummet after every single post he applies.

This is quite the thorough biography of myself! False, but interesting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats

@History wrote

Now, back to your question. A 90% is achievable. Why? Well, in Grade 11, I had a 72% in English class. In Grade 12, I had a 90%. As Kevin Garnett once declaired, anything is possible, sir.

Cheers! :-D

Boss. ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
Reading usually is the best way to gain good writing skills. You don't need to read novels, reading the news online from time to time is the same. In English class, teachers focus more on formal writing (rather than creative writing), so it's actually more useful to read non-fiction stuff. I also recommend doing your own personal writing from time to time, i.e. blogging or writing journal entries. It's good practice for learning how to express yourself.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ktel ktel
To be fair I taught myself how to write my own name without my mom noticing. Pro skills.

I actually wrote some pretty awesome fiction when I was younger. I used to read a lot too, hence why I think my writing skills were so good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0