yconic - How to fulfill pre-med requirements in a UK university
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How to fulfill pre-med requirements in a UK university

A photo of wanghaoanyiyi wanghaoanyiyi
Hi everyone:
I am not a citizen in either UK or Canada and I study Biology in Imperial College London. I want to attend medical school in UofT. However, I am afraid that the course here do not fulfill the pre-med requirements as there are no Physics courses and Calculus courses and I did not do any f these two subjects in my A-Level either. What should I do?

Thank for your help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of KayS94 KayS94
You don't specifically need to have taken physics or calculus to attend any medical school in Canada. Each medical school has their own criteria, but all of them require you to write the MCAT. Here's more info for UofT's med school- http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/information/requirements/International.htm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of wanghaoanyiyi wanghaoanyiyi

@KayS94 wrote
You don't specifically need to have taken physics or calculus to attend any medical school in Canada. Each medical school has their own criteria, but all of them require you to write the MCAT. Here's more info for UofT's med school- http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/information/requirements/International.htm

Thank you so much for your help. Are you a medical school student? I heard that most Life Science undergraduate students in the UofT want to go to med school after their graduation. Are they going to attend undergraduate medical school or graduate medical school? I am still not clear about the medical school system in Canada.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Comradeponov Comradeponov
I may be wrong, but aren't undergraduate medical programs classified as "pre-med", or programs that prepare you for med school / let you finish all the course requirements.

In U of Calgary, for example, you can take medicine (BHc) as an undergrad. It's basically health sciences.

As always, I may be wrong. I'm only in grade 12 (next year) :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
There is really no such thing as pre-med in Canada. I hate when people say they're in 'pre-med'. No, you're in sciences
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner

@ktel wrote
There is really no such thing as pre-med in Canada. I hate when people say they're in 'pre-med'. No, you're in sciences

+1. As ktel says, pre-med programs do not exist in Canada (they do in the U.S.). People get into medicine with all kinds of backgrounds, including business, engineering, arts, and fine arts.

OP, for Ontario medical schools, check out OMSAS, which will list all the requirements for Ontario's medical schools. For those in other provinces, you will have to go to each medical school's site.

Friends I know who are interested in medical school who don't have a whole lot of flexibility in their programs have taken some of the pre-reqs in the summer, or through distance education (acceptable in Canada, but some U.S. medical schools don't like distance/online courses). Some medical schools in Canada have few, or no, pre-reqs. Check out OMSAS to start, then explore the other medical schools in the country (U of A, U of C, U of S, U of M, UBC, Dal, MUN, McGill). Or check out the pre-med 101 forums - tons of information there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote

You guys are absolutely wrong.

Pre-med programs consist of two years of basic science, social science and English courses.

some programs indeed CALL THEMSELVES a "pre-med" program. Though you don't HAVE to be in a pre-med program to get into med school, they do in fact exist...

Edit: I don't want to state specific examples since it would probably result in more people applying to the program(s) I link here...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
The term "pre-med" is just pretentious, in my opinion. It's as if you, as an undergrad, are guaranteeing that you are going to get into medicine by taking this program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It doesn't matter what it sounds like... It's what it is defined as, a program that consists of two years of basic science, social science and English courses...

They do in fact exist, several of them do. I know it because i plan on applying to some of these pre-med programs...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Of course they exist. That could be just about any general sciences program at any university. You could also call them "pre-vet", "pre-pharm", "pre-gradschool"...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner

@Comradeponov wrote
It doesn't matter what it sounds like... It's what it is defined as, a program that consists of two years of basic science, social science and English courses...

They do in fact exist, several of them do. I know it because i plan on applying to some of these pre-med programs...

Go ahead and think what you want, but they aren't pre-med programs. They may be called health sciences, or medical sciences, or whatever, but they are not pre-med programs. Can they prepare you for medical school? Sure. But they can also prepare you for vet school, pharmacy, physical therapy, occupational therapy, dentistry, speech and language pathology, grad school, etc. These programs do not exist solely to place students in medical school.

The only "real" pre-med programs in Canada are the Med-P programs at the Quebec medical schools, for Quebec students accepted to medicine directly out of CEGEP. They do one year of Med-P before starting medical school. Those are the only "pre-med" programs in Canada.

All the other programs are just health-related undergraduate science degrees. Can they prepare you for medical school? Sure. But their reason for existence is not purely as a pre-med program. If you think that is the case, you are in for a rude awakening when you get to university.

Edit: Not to mention, very, very few medical schools in Canada accept students after only two years of university. Most require at least three years of university, and some (ie. Western) require a four year degree. Even for those medical schools accepting second and third year students, it is extremely rare for a second year student to gain admittance. It is less rare for a third year to gain admittance, but it is still is does not happen often.

Now, if you are in Quebec and attending CEGEP, all of this goes out the window. If you attend a CEGEP in Quebec, you can be admitted to medicine after 2 years of CEGEP. You have to complete one year of Med-P at university and then you start medical school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0