yconic - How to fund your education
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How to fund your education

A photo of pepper pepper
step 1: get a job. Summer jobs are great for short term tmoney.
step 2: save your money. This is very easy for me but harder for spenders.
step 3: Put into an education savings plan and the government will GIVE YOU MONEY for saving money. Something like 20% of whatever you put in the government matches!!!No strings attached except that you have to use the money at post-secondary education.
Step 4: Apply for scholarships.
step 5: once you've been accepted apply for OSAP and take the maximum amount that they will give you. It's interest free until you graduate and it will really help you pay for your education.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
26 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of ck.rayment ck.rayment
I have a job at the moment, but its not that great. I normally get tipped $4 a day, or nothing if business is slow. They also only give me 2, or if I'm lucky, 3 days to work a week. Sometimes they don't give me any hours to work at all some weeks. My mom won't let me get a second job though, so I don't know how I'm supposed to be paying for my future education, What do I do if I'm stuck in a situation like this?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I had a summer job and have literally handed over a hundred resumes around my town, it's a small place and we don't even have fifty businesses so it's hard. My mom told me that if I keep handing out resumes to the same places, they'll eventually get tired of seeing my resume and give me the job. Problem is, with the reciession, people are more willing to put up with resumes and throw them out quicker as well. Also I've been looking at scholarships all day today and the due dates are all before I even know if I'll be accepted to the university. it doesn't make much sense to me, applying to for the scholarships when you don't even know if you've been accepted to the university yet
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@pepper wrote
step 1: get a job. Summer jobs are great for short term tmoney.
step 2: save your money. This is very easy for me but harder for spenders.
step 3: Put into an education savings plan and the government will GIVE YOU MONEY for saving money. Something like 20% of whatever you put in the government matches!!!No strings attached except that you have to use the money at post-secondary education.
Step 4: Apply for scholarships.
step 5: once you've been accepted apply for OSAP and take the maximum amount that they will give you. It's interest free until you graduate and it will really help you pay for your education.

Yeah no kidding. Your ideas are not new or thrilling whatsoever.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SarahT wrote
Problem is, with the reciession, people are more willing to put up with resumes and throw them out quicker as well.

Wrong. Stay in school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Exasecond Exasecond
The way I do it is two part time jobs, (holiday pay from both, but no overtime), and stick it into ING or Ally, or RESP
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pepper pepper

@ck.rayment wrote
I have a job at the moment, but its not that great. I normally get tipped $4 a day, or nothing if business is slow. They also only give me 2, or if I'm lucky, 3 days to work a week. Sometimes they don't give me any hours to work at all some weeks. My mom won't let me get a second job though, so I don't know how I'm supposed to be paying for my future education, What do I do if I'm stuck in a situation like this?

I am in that kind of situation as I only get to work a day a week or maybe 2 max. It is all about saving your money. I have always saved my money and it is paying off for me right now as it is all going to my education. And like I said before if you put that money that your saving for school in a government savings plan(I highly recommend it) you will get free money from the government. So for an example you put $1,000 away for school(although you should put away more as school is expensive) the government would match that by giving you a 20% grant so $200 more free money. Now say you save $4,000 you could get $800 from the government free, just for continuing your education. Talk to you bank representatives for more details.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of scbloom scbloom
Apply for scholarships and bursaries. Find low rate board or share a rental with several other students. Buy used textbooks. Take extra courses per term and plan to attend throughout summer as this will lower your overall costs that include board, food and other expenses associated with attending university or college. Many university courses are offered at colleges for less money and are fully transferable. Just be sure you get your letters of permission in place before you apply or pay for courses from other institutions. Taking courses online is often cheaper also.

Don't eat out. It is cheaper to buy food and prepare it yourself, besides it is healthier for you. Visit the university food bank. That is what it is there for. If need be visit the local run food banks too. Outfit yourself from second hand clothing stores or church clothing bazaars. Most universities have some part time jobs available. If you forgo the job and focus on your education and achieve high marks that will enable you to qualify for additional scholarships.

Check with the University and province as to what bursaries are available to low income students. There are usually a couple thousand dollars available for those individuals.
Take public transportation or walk. If you have any assests such as a vehicle, or whatever, that has real value, sell it or cash it in. For your birthday, christmas etc....ask for gifts of money to put toward your education.

Keep your life simple. Avoid the temptation to party or spend money on entertainment and outside activities, or on things that are not necessary or needed. That time will come. Focus on your education, study hard, and you will be able to get the education you desire.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of origamiprincess origamiprincess
[size=7]Another way to fund your education while you are in university or college is to take co-op. Not only do you get paid, you also get great work experience, and can make connections within your preferred field. This will help you get through post-secondary education without too much debt, and provide you with amazing job opportunities after you finish it! [/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of karlene karlene
this site is helpful, but part time jobs work too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emo1322 emo1322
I say, when you are in high school start working your butt off or take a year off and work while living with parents, that has really helped me out and has gotten me a higher position at work so i can make more and work less (but i guess that depends on where you would work) Take the bus more, leave your car at home with parents or sell it. If you are eligible like previous posts, definitely invest in OSAP, not only are they interest free for the first 6 months after graduation, but they can also provide grants like 150$ for text books because every little bit helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tyra Tyra
This big part is being practical with your money. Do you really need that shiny new car?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Tyra wrote
This big part is being practical with your money. Do you really need that shiny new car?

Spam!

How many students buy that shiny new car when they're dependent on student loans for assistance?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bobbyn4360 bobbyn4360
Does anybody have good ideas for investing their student loans?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of alyssiaodo_09 alyssiaodo_09
For your step 3; I had no idea you could do this! I was wondering how I would sign up for this educational savings plan... I currently have a part time job that pays 10.50. Although I have car payments to attend to as well as a phone bill, so at the end of the month I'm only able to save so much.
Seeing this post, I look forwards to saving and recieving money. But I am curious, if I need the money for my post-secondary education, would I have to confront my bank itself and tell them I need to pay for something at school? ( First payment of program ect. )

Thanks!
Alyssia
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of haileybouckhuyt haileybouckhuyt
there is also this gread book called the debt free graduate that helps you get through school and come out debt free its great
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@bobbyn4360 wrote
Does anybody have good ideas for investing their student loans?

GIC's are good. They're locked in, and right now they have some specials going on (at least at ScotiaBank they do).

If not GIC's, even TFSA's are a pretty good rate of interest.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GradClassof2012 GradClassof2012
I've been working for almost a year, a part time job of course :) Its been great. "Learn to count your pennies" it really works :) (guess we can't use that saying much longer;)
Whatever I earn I give back 10% to my church (being a Christian)
The most I have ever used was $500 (I went to the states on a family holiday)
I always do lots of research into something I want, if its not sometihng that will last me I don't buy it.
I don't go shopping (like at all) if I have a gift card I use it I rarely go out and eat.
I have a a college fund ( the reason I got a job) I have almost saved up a whole year for univeristy which is exciting. (I have this bank account from I believe DT bank the government gives me $500 extra cash)
I'm writting essays for scholarships.
So what I would do to save up.
Save Save Save! And work hard! (You can't get far without working hard)
If you see that awesome pair of shoes (being a shoe fan!!) look at the ones you wear first, think about those in africa who have no shoes you'll live (trust me my parents are like "YOU NEED CLOTHES" but I don't need any, I got lots :D) haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of j8749 j8749
If you stay dedicated to your studies, a great way to make money, while also boosting your resume is by applying to work as a teaching assistant at your University. Universities normatively have special offices dedicated to assisting students in accessing information about scholarships and funding opportunities. A good way to get 'free' money is by maintaining a certain average. This year i was granted money for maintaining an average above eighty. If you want a part time job outside your school, you have to make sure you put out resumes well in advance. The recession has meant that many jobs previously held by younger individuals, are now being filled by older employees. To help build and enhance your resume, go to yes employment or other local employment assistance establishments. I also found the tips from studentawards.com to be very helpful (i.e the resume cliches article). It is also good to follow up on the status of a submitted resume, to show persistence and eagerness. The secret to a good resume is being specific and refining board terms and claims, to separate yourself from the crowd. The challenge is to also be concise, to avoid losing the potential employers interest. Although my teaching assistant jobs do not offer a substantial income, they are serving to help build my resume in preparation for school applications.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tedirun tedirun
Not the amount of prospect annual income should lead you when choosing your future career, and respectively your education. Most important: decide what makes you happy- you'll have to do that probably the next 45 years; also think about with what kind of people you will interact; :bom: last, but not least think how you can live a balanced life throughout your career.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of poohbear poohbear
having a job before going to collage or university is a great start and then also continuing to work while in school
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BugNerd BugNerd
Spend money sparingly and invest any savings wisely. TFSAs are a great way to invest and make every dollar go further. Credit/debt makes every dollar go less far, so try and avoid using credit cards or student loans on frivolous things.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blm2 blm2
Do not buy a phone on contract if you do not need it, it is a big waste of money! Also, seek post-secondary education for it is an asset in today's society.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JamieMctavish JamieMctavish
i suggest that unless you absoultly need something. dont get it. buy the necessities, grocies, books, just worry about your money and how you are going to use it throughout your college/university visiting. then after you will get a job and not have to worry about not being able to party or what not cause you'll have the cash too seeing as though you do not need to spend it on skool.
Was this helpful? Yes 0