yconic - How to get a scholarship without writing an essay
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How to get a scholarship without writing an essay

A photo of Hanin Al-Hjowj Hanin Al-Hjowj
why do scholarship have to do with writing essay's , cant they just give out a scholarship and anyone could enter in it ! :albino:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
37 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
No, an essay takes work and gives your point of view, which many organizations are looking for when giving out scholarships.
Was this helpful? Yes 2

A photo of BugNerd BugNerd
There are also some qualities that a GPA or collection of data points describing yourself just can't get across, and that's where the essay component of most scholarships kicks in.

It allows you to express things like your creativity, personality, and inspiration for your field of study. Things that are more qualitative.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
If you can't deal with writing essays for scholarships......
Good luck with first year English........
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
So, you'd rather have them be given out randomly?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of tobybennett tobybennett
lol it would be nice if you didn't have to write an essay
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of poohbear poohbear
ya i wish we didn't have to write an essay to recieve a scholarship
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sheslikethis sheslikethis
Not writing and essay would be a breath of fresh air. However, the organizations giving out the scholarship/ bursaries would not believe the applicants had any merit of investment if they didn't work for their dollar LOL.

Just stick with it man, it's worth the effort in the long run.

-sheslikethis :cyclops:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gracelin gracelin
An essay is one of the easier ways for someone to understand your point of view on a certain idea or event. It would be rather difficult for judges to pick which student to give which award if everyone just shoves an application with their name on it, saying 'gimme money yo!' ..Though, that'd be nice, eh? But no. There's no free lunch. You've got to work for stuff in life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of OhLaura OhLaura
There are some scholarships that require no essays. But to be honest, chances are the less work you put into a scholarship application, it is less likely you will will. A lot of people enter the scholarships or frequent contests that require no writing component. I mean, I say enter every scholarship you can, essay or no essay. But you really have to work for your money, if you know what I mean!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kdenis2 kdenis2
I think that references are a much better judge of character and a person's merit. Just becasue you write something does mean you believe it - Reference give a great idea to the judges of how worthy a particular applicant actually is.
They can show work ethic which an essay can't.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kdenis2 wrote
I think that references are a much better judge of character and a person's merit. Just becasue you write something does mean you believe it - Reference give a great idea to the judges of how worthy a particular applicant actually is.
They can show work ethic which an essay can't.

And, on the other hand, just because you have a reference saying you have a good work ethic doesn't mean that you are a hard worker.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shequi shequi
i also try and deviate from those essay writing scholarships. i've heard that they're a lot easier to win since not as much people apply to them, but i don't see a point in wasting your time writing a 1000 word essay if you don't win.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of wcpatton wcpatton
The point of writing a 1000 word essay is to practice for all the essay writing you'll be doing in uni LOL
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Oprime Oprime
I definitely understand how you feel; but if you have good grades you should be able to get entrance scholarships at the university/college that you're applying to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AmberBusch AmberBusch
I understand what you mean. I've been out of school for the past year (in order for me to even consider post-secondary education I've had to work full-time.) It's hard to get back into the habit of writing properly formatted essays, but it helps staff at the school realise what kind of a student you are. Dedicated enough to actually write an essay, then they can judge your personnality based on your writing style :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AlClo AlClo
I find most essay topics for scholarship applications are actually fairly similar... So if you have one good essay you're proud of, you can usually just alter it slightly for each new application.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Essays show your potential and interest in the scholarship. They see that you actually took time to apply and you're dedicated to their organization.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bookie Bookie
Oh but essay writing is so much fun!

In all seriousness, if we did not have to submit essays for the majority of scholarships we apply for, what would they have to judge us on? One may argue that our GPA or our transcripts are story enough but then, (please excuse the triteness found in the next few words after the comma), we would be eliminating our chance to shine as individuals. Not much insight can be found in a list of grades and percentages. As gruesome as you may find writing to be, how you express yourself in ink is what sets you apart from other applicants.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stratosfear Stratosfear
Most of the essays aren't much longer than a page or two so I wouldn't complain. I mean, its their money they can give it out to whoever they want. Needless to say I'm not about to read an entire novel just so I can write an essay about it and then have only a slight chance of actually getting any money but there are many other scholarships where the essay just has to be about why you think you deserve the scholarship. These ones are usually no more than 1000 words and should be easy enough to write.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Amalik Amalik
yea but then there are all those people that are experts at English and in the end you have no chance. sucks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Amalik wrote
yea but then there are all those people that are experts at English and in the end you have no chance. sucks

That's the point. The people who are best get the scholarship.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Lol it's not about being the "best".
It's usually those who are pretty strong English skills and are able to write a convincing essay that win. At the same time, it's also usually someone who's really involved in their community and have impressive extracurriculars.
You could be getting 100% in English but do nothing for your community and therefore have a minimal chance at winning the scholarship.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MRichards12 MRichards12
Think about it this way: the few hours that you spend writing an essay could make you THOUSANDS of dollars! Sounds like it's worth it to me...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyyli8 cyyli8
Writing essays is good practice for future courses and assignments too! Also, many scholarships ask similar questions (ie. contribution to community), so usually you can adjust them easily for specific scholarships =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of eritz eritz
It can be a really big bummer though...I'm applying to physics and math programs. Just because i'm not a stellar writer doesn't mean i don't need the money. Arts majors always get the scholarships, and the rest of us just have to try and do it on our own. I don't think that's fair. They also get more scholarships because their high school averages are higher because their courses are easier. They get away with taking easy geography courses and stuff like that, while i'm slaving away in calculus and chemistry. My courses are harder, but i get no recognition for my work because i can't earn the scholarships.

...ok, i'm done ranting. I didn't mean to offend anyone, i'm just really frustrated :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0