yconic - How to get internships if you dont get into co-op?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How to get internships if you dont get into co-op?

A photo of ray123 ray123
Hi,

I am a laurier bba student. I dont know yet if I got into laurier co-op or not. Is there anyone who didnt get into to laurier co-op, but still got an internships? How do you go about finding and applying? Were you ever asked about laurier co-op? Please advice me with any info you have.

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of caveman caveman
Networking.

You can also check the Co-op/Career Center (King and Lodge). It may have some postings. Otherwise go to the websites of companies you're interested in and check out their websites, you could try a job board from one of the accounting institutes or talentegg or something, maybe attend a career fair somewhere, but biggest of all you've got to network.

I'm not at Laurier, but this is pretty standard. If you're asking whether they'll wonder why you're not in co-op, just explain it to them, or if you want to try and hide it just say you're not in the co-op program and hope they don't press further.

Where will you be looking for work, and in what industry? And are you in first year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ray123 ray123

@caveman wrote
Networking.

You can also check the Co-op/Career Center (King and Lodge). It may have some postings. Otherwise go to the websites of companies you're interested in and check out their websites, you could try a job board from one of the accounting institutes or talentegg or something, maybe attend a career fair somewhere, but biggest of all you've got to network.

I'm not at Laurier, but this is pretty standard. If you're asking whether they'll wonder why you're not in co-op, just explain it to them, or if you want to try and hide it just say you're not in the co-op program and hope they don't press further.

Where will you be looking for work, and in what industry? And are you in first year?

Thanks.

Yea I'm a first year. I dont have any specific firms I want to work at, but looking towards accounting/finance, but I have been told its hard to get internships in that concentration and most people start off with HR or around that area.

Also have you had an internship in those concentrations, what do they generally ask or look at? Also how much work experience is preferred? What really appeals to the interviewer?

Thanks again:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ray123 wrote

Thanks.

Yea I'm a first year. I dont have any specific firms I want to work at, but looking towards accounting/finance, but I have been told its hard to get internships in that concentration and most people start off with HR or around that area.

Also have you had an internship in those concentrations, what do they generally ask or look at? Also how much work experience is preferred? What really appeals to the interviewer?

Thanks again:)

No problem.

It may be too late to get something related for this summer. The big firms recruit mostly in September/October, and since places will want you beginning May it's a little late to be getting something good. You can try to apply to some places, ask around see what's available, send out some cover letters/resumes to some accounting firms seeing if they have any invoicing or something they need done in May (it's a start) and then just work any job for the summer. Otherwise, just work wherever and focus on next year.

Accounting firms can be hard to get into for the summer because that's their least busy season. It's right after tax/busy season, so many firms give their employees a week off right after and then everyone takes their vacations throughout the summer and, depending on your firm, sometimes you can leave early in the day, go out for golf whenever, or not go in on Fridays (more common at smaller firms, especially those outside the GTA). The larger firms do hire for the summers (taking QC, Schulich and other students) as do some smaller firms, but it's usually upper-years only (there are quite a few exceptions). I've heard the summer placements at the Big 4 are pretty chill. As for finance, it's more common for them to recruit in the summer (and think of the top finance schools-- no co-op for them) but it's very competitive. Also if you're not in the GTA there's very few finance opportunities. Outside of Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and maybe Calgary there's really not a whole lot (although Waterloo's not bad with the big insurance companies).

I have had one internship in accounting in the past and now I have another for this summer. As a high schooler I found it was hard to have really anyone look at you seriously (plus you only have a 2 month summer to work, so if there's any training you really aren't there that long). I was lucky to get something, and when I looked for this summer I had my work experience from last summer. I know they were happy to see and hear about that, plus some of the courses I had taken in university that were relevant, and beyond that just the normal extra curricular and leadership and behavioural-type stuff. Not too much different. They just want to know that their investment in you will hopefully pay off. They want to see that you're interested in the field and their company, that you have a certain proficiency for those types of things, that you are a team player and are willing and able to learn, and that you want to work hard in order to achieve good career progression. You might get into some jobs where you're somewhat abused just for cheap labour, but other times they're more into training you, and they recognize that you really don't know that much so they're going to have to teach you almost everything. Having some good computer skills can also help too (especially if they're after cheap labour).

Just focus on your strengths during the interview. If you have little to no work experience, highlight anything you can from it and then move on to other areas. Hopefully you have some extra curriculars where you can show the same sort of stuff they're looking for from your work experience, or something special you have that can make them overlook your deficiency. Beyond that networking, forming good relationships and being in the right place at the right time can all be to your advantage. And if you are someone the interviewer enjoys talking to and seem interesting you may get hired just for that.

That's pretty much the best general overview I can think of. If you have any more specifics that can help narrow your focus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ray123 ray123
^^ that was very helpful!

I was inquiring for next summer, this summer I do have an unpaid/volunteer internship i guess you could say, its an engineering firm. I dont really know exactly what they will have me do, the lady suggested that I will rotate in the diff business depts and help where there is extra work to be done, so hopefully that will help. I do want to narrow it down to accounting/finance later on, but as of now its anything and everything.

As for work experience, I have zero. I do plan on working part time when second year begins.

But based on your internship experience do they expect you to have certain business knowledge or do they generally guide you through it?

Also what university are you from?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ray123 wrote
^^ that was very helpful!

I was inquiring for next summer, this summer I do have an unpaid/volunteer internship i guess you could say, its an engineering firm. I dont really know exactly what they will have me do, the lady suggested that I will rotate in the diff business depts and help where there is extra work to be done, so hopefully that will help. I do want to narrow it down to accounting/finance later on, but as of now its anything and everything.

As for work experience, I have zero. I do plan on working part time when second year begins.

But based on your internship experience do they expect you to have certain business knowledge or do they generally guide you through it?

Also what university are you from?

Any work experience will help. You can play up your unpaid internship if you'd like.

It really depends on where you're working and what the position is. If the employer normally hires students and has an established position, there's a good chance they're not directly looking for work experience. Like the Big 4 hiring- 99% of students will not have public accounting experience. They expect to train you, and what you learn in the classroom only goes so far, plus in a first term you'll only have an introductory level. While relevant work experience is good/helpful, it's not mandatory. If you have it, you can make it a selling point. If not, don't. Sell something else. Other employers who might not normally hire will probably look more for experience and knowledge (if it's more of a legitimate position and they're not just using you for cheap labour). Since they might not want to invest a lot of time in training you, and are sort of expecting you to fulfill some of the roles of others, they want you to have some sort of knowledge.

And just as a general: some employers will likely care more than others. Just like some employers will want their employees to be very outspoken and extroverted while others don't really care. Through networking/interviewing you'll figure it out. If the employer is really pressing you for actually having work experience, you'll have to make sure you sell yourself some other way and hope they buy it. You can't sell what you don't have, no matter how hard you try.

If that's too wishy-washy for you with the details, feel free to PM me.

And I go to Waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dimethylamylamine dimethylamylamine
Me and all my friends got jobs from applying online, none of us are in a co-op program per se. If you have a strong GPA/work exp/extracurricular activites, then firms will want you whether you have a co-op status or not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dimethylamylamine wrote
Me and all my friends got jobs from applying online, none of us are in a co-op program per se. If you have a strong GPA/work exp/extracurricular activites, then firms will want you whether you have a co-op status or not.

I'm just curious: was this online from a job-board type thing at your school, or just an online application from a company's website?
Was this helpful? Yes 0