yconic - How to improve my English? Real life issue =(
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How to improve my English? Real life issue =(

A photo of Cutie Cutie
Hi
Sometimes i feel really bad in class because I can't communicate well with classmate. The prof. thinks I’m poor and have no idea what’s going on as well as students most of them are Canadians and to be honest with you, I can think a way more better! However, it's not that I don't know or have no idea, but it's all about that I don't know how to explain my thoughts in a good English!
I'm really smart and I can do well on paper exams ; especially at math, chemistry and computer science because I don't need to discuss that with someone else.
But when it comes to business classes, where we need to discuss and share experiences they all (profs & classmates) think I have nothing to do while setting there.
I have this Marketing Prof. who always discourages me by her looking when I speak or participate in class( wired looking that makes all class looking at me the same way). She just makes me more and more depressed and I don't feel that I want to participate anymore in her class because of her looking and the way she talks to me like I’m an idiot or a young baby girl! She thinks I’m poor no matter what I do! Just because I have a different accent and probably a little bit different face that doesn’t mean that I should be ignored. I’m very sensitive or so, I can easily cry so that’s why I don’t wanna speak to her about my issue. I feel very far from my classmate, they just say hi to me once a while and most of those are guys. I never talked to a female in my class they just don’t wanna talk to me for no reason!
And at the end im a 100 % sure that the Prof will took off some of my participation marks ( and she can easily find a reason for that).

I thought about changing school and move to some of these big names like McMaster or U of T,, but I'm always afraid of facing the same issue everywhere I go!!

What should I do?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Be confident in yourself and who you are.
Be proud of where you come from and all that you carry around with you from your home country, including your accent.
I know it's easier said than done, even I have trouble with my self confidence sometimes even though I have no accent or anything like that.
But if you're sure of yourself and present yourself that way, it makes everyone stop for a second and think, "Danggg.. that girl's serious!"
I have a few friends who aren't from Canada and have pretty heavy accents, but they know exactly where they stand and exactly what they're talking about, and that really helped them get "accepted" by others not like themselves.
Ignore those stares that people give you and just pretend they're not even there. Simple stuff like that is going to be your easiest downfall if you let it get to you so easily.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of theboydetective theboydetective
One of the best things you can do is read. Read a lot. Watch TV and try to pick up on things that you would say a certain way but you find people on TV saying a different way. Try to get a better understanding of linguistics. This will help you understand rules and grammar in English better. If you converse with someone who you're friendly with, tell them not to be afraid to correct things you say incorrectly.
1/5th of Canadians' mother tongues are not Canadian (English or French). If someone thinks there's something wrong with you because you have an accent and get confused with tenses and conjugations, I think majority of Canadians would agree there's something wrong with them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Read, write, and watch TV. Quality of watching and reading is more important than quantity. You have to be really critical of people's writing and speaking. For example, if I wanted to tell you that I can't communicate well with my classmates, I would say "I can't communicate well with my classmates," not "I can't communicate well with classmate." When you're reading something that someone else wrote, ask yourself, "is that what I would have wrote?" In that example, I would have wrote something different than you - so, as you're just learning the language and I'm proficient at communicating in English, you have to assume that I'm the correct one (though that may not always be true).

That being said, you actually have very good grammar in areas that most English speakers have difficulty with, so I commend you for that. It takes a lot of work to learn the intricacies of a language, but I think you're well on your way to being an even better writer (possibly better speaker) than most people who were born and raised in English-speaking Canada.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mar Mar
Judging on your english grammar your english is way better than mine and of many other foreigners. You are way smarter than people who are judging you. English is not your first language, therefore, you should be proud of yourself.

Don't be too embarrassed or shy to talk in your class. No one really cares that you have an accent. I actually enjoy speaking english with an accent. I've met a lot of new wonderful people thanks to my european accent.

If you want to improve your pronunciation you should listen to podcasts, BBC or any other english audio lessons. You should repeat each word slowly and loudly. Don't waste your time watching TV because you will pay attention to the pictures and not words.

If you want to improve your vocabulary you should read books. Try to pick a book which will not make you open your dictionary and look for a new word every 5 seconds.
Every day I repeat 17 words I know and learn 8 new words. I use flash cards.
If you want to get better at writing essays you should write at least a couple of essays each week.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted