yconic - How to improve school spirit?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

How to improve school spirit?

A photo of mapbanzon mapbanzon
The question that has haunted every school since the beginning...

How do you improve your school spirit?

It's been widely discussed in many conferences, I've been to and many have different suggestions. Most of the suggestions have been implemented at my school, but it just never seemed to work.

There have been things like,
Better advertising - so general
Having prizes - who doesn't want a prize?
Getting teachers involved...

But really, anyone have anything more original?

Something new that will, hopefully, be effective.

It's really disheartening sometimes, to see people who have worked incredibly hard to organize and events and spirit days or weeks but no one seems to want to participate!

Was this helpful? Yes 0
31 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of Zion Zion
I assume you're talking about high school. I say...it's just high school, save the spirit for university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
are you on the student council?
sucks for you
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ck.rayment ck.rayment
I find that getting students more involved with spirit days relies on the advertising. At my high school I've noticed that they make the corniest and most annoying advertisements about the spirit days on announcements, and that makes me want to shrivel up and hide from the spirit days. Also, all of the events are announced last minute, a few days before the big event. If they had more posters up, less corny ads, and informed the school a little earlier, they'd be more well known.

And the best part of spirit days is getting more than a few people involved. My school once had a toga day, and I saw maybe 5 people dressed up? Um, hello, how about picking something that more students can relate with? Examples like, "wear your school colours" or "western day." I don't know. Maybe even a duct-tape day? I was really excited to participate in that one when the student elections were going on, and they haven't done it yet. I'm totally bummed out about it. Get more fun spirit days that most people can involve themselves in to get the school revving up in spirit. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
Hey, I'm Student Council VP this year but I was the spirit convener last year so I can offer some help.

I get what you mean when you say no one wants to participate. However, last year what I decided to do was have a Spirit Week, comprised of 4 spirit days and give an incentive to people who participated 3 out of the 4.

If your school lacks spirit, the best way to get it up again is if you provide an incentive. So what I did was I planned when the spirit week was going to be, and promoted like CRAZY. Msn PMS, Posters, Twitter, Facebook Status and of course the rest of my council helped.

The incentive was to give a slice of pizza to every one that participate 3 out of the 4 events. And of course, the incentive was heavily advertised.

Every spirit day, Student Council set up a booth of around 4-5 laptops and then we recorded the students name, student number, and the spirit day they participated in. By the end of the four days, I compiled the 600ish student list of all students participating and trimmed it down to 250ish students that participated in 3 out of the 4 or ALL 4.

This event was a huge success and my school has never experienced anything like this. Now every spirit day there are always participants and the Spirit Week is an annual event at my school.

Btw my four Spirit Days were:

Olympic Spirit Day (Winter Olympics during that time)
Twin Day
Plaid Day
Retro Day

Perhaps, this is a idea you should introduce to your Student Council? Good Luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of abril abril
Advertising is Important, but only when it is done right. I find that for people to get my attention, it has to be from a person I respect. Advertisment needs to catch not one group, but everyones attention. Bribing always seems to help too. Schools should regularly have students get together in some way to build their relationships with many people. The closer together a school is, the more school spirit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mapbanzon mapbanzon

@Nyx wrote
sucks for you

love the optimism here guys
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Lammih Lammih
:cheers: we paint our faces of the schools colours n do it for anyone willing so they just end up staying and watching games ...even when we lose :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leviaidan leviaidan

@Nyx wrote
sucks for you

I am... :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AlanaGriffith AlanaGriffith
Try making a competition between the grades.. worked for my school so well. Offer points for grades with the best spirit, and keep track. At the end of the year whichever grade has the most points gets school t-shirts or cool bags. Remember to start with low risk spirit days, pj day or colour day before you do a crazy one like wacky hair day.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ashrafn001 ashrafn001
Improving school spirit is no simple task - it requires lots of hard work and determination. At my school, we have prep rally's almost every month and sometimes with some well-known community celeberities make an appearance. In a prep rally - the most important thing is to keep the audience entertained and that could be accomplished easily. I suggest you include activities that get the audience involved such as a basketball shoot out or "(Your High School Name) Idol"!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ashley99948 ashley99948
you can have more spirit days.. give our prizes.
also for school spirit it helps to have days where kids are suppose to dress up in school colours and cheer school chants.!

it really works at my school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mnagao mnagao
I'm not sure how school spirit differs in high school and university, can anyone let me know? (I'm currently in high school)

However, I do have some suggestions in promoting school spirit in high school. I think it's best to start off with small events early in the year, for example a teachers vs. students basketball game. It's a small event that most students will be interested in, even if they don't like sports. Later on in the year, you can start to promote the bigger events. I find that once students become involved in the smaller events, they will be more likely to want to go to the other ones (i.e. dances and events that are more expensive).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jenniferphilpott jenniferphilpott
I'm the Prime Minister of Student Council at my high school, we find that creating competition is a really great way to boost spirit. We frequently play on our rivalry with another school located in our region that we are extremely competative with. When students at our school smell competition, they come alive with spirit! We also try and host spirit weeks once a month. These are themed weeks where we have activities during the lunch hour each day. At my high school, spirit is really hard to come by, and we try our best to keep the students enthusiastic about being Marauders.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of brontehutchinson brontehutchinson
Make a compition between a rival school.
Like during the holidays my school and our rival school see who can donate as much food, and money to a local food bank. My school never wins but this year we won! It's healthy compition, and if you win it's a good reason to say that you school is better.
Hope this helps
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I'm also a part of student council at school and my school seems to be lacking some spirit this year as well, so here's a few ideas to throw out there...

Almost every month, we have spirit weeks.
During those spirit weeks, we have these stamp cards. If you dress up everyday of the spirit week, you get 5 stamps. Once you collect all 5, for that week only, you can put it into a draw.. and the prize.. wait for itttt...
$100 gift card to the mall... who doesn't want 100 free bucks for putting on a plaid shirt or going to school in your PJs?!?!?

We also hold pep rallies every year, and it's a competition between each grade. Each grade is assigned a different colour and they compete in relay races and such. It's fun when you're in grade 12 and know that you're going to ownnn all the grade 8s, but it gets everyone going.

Another thing we do is lunch-time activities. During our spirit weeks, we also host games in our student lounge each day. We've done things like.. Fear Factor, Amazing Race, DDR, Rockband, Guitar Hero, etc.. and we ask that students from each grade come up to participate so it gets the spirit going amongst all the grades to cheer on their reps.

Lastly, PR is a hugeeeeeeee one. Advertise anywhere and everywhere! We always have hugeeee posters hanging up at school as well as smaller paper sized posters around the school, in the washrooms, etc. Update your status on facebook, tweet the latest event, text all your friends, and get your council members to do the same!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jhy1030 jhy1030
Get all the popular people in a group and come up with an idea... Popular kids promote events better than anyone else. LOL
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of May12 May12
I would love to see a competition of who can come up with the best mascot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Porsche4 Porsche4
clap your hands and stomp your feet
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs

@jenniferphilpott wrote
I'm the Prime Minister of Student Council at my high school, we find that creating competition is a really great way to boost spirit. We frequently play on our rivalry with another school located in our region that we are extremely competative with. When students at our school smell competition, they come alive with spirit! We also try and host spirit weeks once a month. These are themed weeks where we have activities during the lunch hour each day. At my high school, spirit is really hard to come by, and we try our best to keep the students enthusiastic about being Marauders.

Prime Minister? Wow, what a title!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chelseyskeoch chelseyskeoch
School spirit is hard... you always have the people who want to get involved and then you have the people that no matter what you do they just don't care about the school. I suggest you keep on being enthusiatic and encouraging and create awesome opportunities!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kkiekrmbs kkiekrmbs

@Porsche4 wrote
clap your hands and stomp your feet

haha, reminds me of....

"(school) fans in the stands, let me hear you clap your hands"
*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap*clap
"Now that you've got the beat, let me hear you stomp your feet"
*stomp*stomp*stomp*stomp*stomp*stomp*stomp
"Now that you've got the groove, let me see your body move"
*...move your hips, shake it?? just move xD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of renmedy90 renmedy90

@Lammih wrote
:cheers: we paint our faces of the schools colours n do it for anyone willing so they just end up staying and watching games ...even when we lose :P

We offer this as well, though our sports teams have pretty good statistics and everyone knows the players because the university I attend is smaller in population, but not in spirit! I think that's what also drives us to the games and love our school. Everyone seems to know each other, or know someone who knows someone else. It's pretty cool when you think about it :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of taym taym
My highschool has A LOT of spirit. A few years ago, we decided to do a prep rallies whenever there was a special event happening, and then we would organize games at the prep rallies. Each grade would earn points when someone in their grade won a particular event. It seems to work very well, each grad has a color and there is always lots of painted faces and people dressed in their grades colors. Spirit is good at my school!
Was this helpful? Yes 0