yconic - how to overcome shyness during a collaquy?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

how to overcome shyness during a collaquy?

A photo of zefyre zefyre
So i've had trouble presenting because i experience anxiety attacks while talking in front of a group of people. I know this fear I get while presenting is all in my head but sometimes it just overwhelms and then I start studdering. For those of you who don't know what a collaquy is it's similar to a fishbowl where you and five other individuals (amount of people varies) gather to discuss a book chosen for your summative and we ask each other open ended questions and the class as well. I have a feeling people are going to ask me hard questions LOL, i finished reading my book but i haven't touched it until today. My collaquy is on wednesday and i have a brief memory of what happened in the story but not really accurate as I have forgotten some crucial scenes in the book. How do you guys overcome anxiety? I know practicing helps to some extent but this is almost like an on the spot kind of thing. No notes are allowed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
I just try to come in as prepared as possible. Being a little nervous is normal.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pandasbox pandasbox
A lot of times when you're presenting to your peers, they're just as nervous and unprepared as you are. Don't assume they're going to see through your mistakes, they're probably too busy trying to cover their mistakes to notice. If you have trouble speaking think of it as an oral in-class-essay; take two seconds to think up an argument and then follow through with it. The easy part of English is that there are no wrong answers, as long as you have an argument with evidence and justification, you're invincible. Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
ktel is right - being nervous is completely normal for a majority of people. The good news is that there are a number of strategies you can use to reduce your anxiety.

Aside from being as prepared as possible (which I trust you will, as most anxiety suffers tend to be), it might help to acknowledge your anxiety by prefacing your discussion with the acknowledgement. Sometimes that works. Personally, I have found breathing techniques (based on mindfulness-based stress reduction programs) to be effective. A simple technique that you can use is to take deep breaths and focus on your breathing a couple of minutes before your presentation. By doing so, it can help clear your mind of unwanted thoughts and thus calm you down. What works better, long-term wise, is just constant exposure to the source of anxiety. It really does get better the more you expose yourself to it.

If your anxiety continues to be a barrier to your academic success and nothing seems to be working, you should consult a licensed counselor or therapist who can offer you effective strategies for anxiety management. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
I'd prepare a ton. I find that when I'm nervous my critical thinking skills diminish, and I'm left with only subconsciously controlled actions, so having a plan makes up for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dbdudgh dbdudgh
I think the best way to overcome anxiety is to prepare and feel confident about yourself. I often have to perform and when I get nervous, I say to myself, "why the hell am I being nervous? I've prepared for this and I'm gonna own this performance(or colloquy in your case)," but of course you do have to be prepared. And don't think about what others are going to think about you, just be yourself and do/say what you want.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BrownianMotion BrownianMotion

@zefyre wrote
So i've had trouble presenting because i experience anxiety attacks while talking in front of a group of people. I know this fear I get while presenting is all in my head but sometimes it just overwhelms and then I start studdering. For those of you who don't know what a collaquy is it's similar to a fishbowl where you and five other individuals (amount of people varies) gather to discuss a book chosen for your summative and we ask each other open ended questions and the class as well. I have a feeling people are going to ask me hard questions LOL, i finished reading my book but i haven't touched it until today. My collaquy is on wednesday and i have a brief memory of what happened in the story but not really accurate as I have forgotten some crucial scenes in the book. How do you guys overcome anxiety? I know practicing helps to some extent but this is almost like an on the spot kind of thing. No notes are allowed.

Ignore the inadequate advice received above. Try the following method:

Picture Meagan Fox naked during your presentation, giving you a pep talk.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ That could make him even more nervous
Was this helpful? Yes 0