yconic - Human Biology degree
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Human Biology degree

A photo of Torontonian Torontonian
What careers are there for Human Biology degree...? I am really interested in learning about diseases, etc.The only thing that comes into my mind is med school
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Epidemiology/public health, nursing, PA, OT/PT, research, industry (pharm/food) etc
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks~

If I wanted to business, would I have to take another 4 years undergrad...?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
You could get a bunch of other jobs that have nothing to do with biology with any sort of degree. So theoretically you could go into a business field.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Adding on to inthemaking's list: dentist, veterinarian, pharmacist, medical writer, clinical research associate, regulatory affairs, optometrist, chiropractor... There is quite a number of them. The common theme, however, is that a graduate or professional degree or diploma is needed for most of them.

Going straight into a business career without a business degree, certification, or experience is tough. Likely not going to happen. If you take a few business electives during your human biology degree, then you'd most likely be able to finish a business degree in two years afterward; it wouldn't take four years to do a second degree, as electives used in the first degree can also be counted towards the second degree. However, to fulfill residency requirements, you'd have to complete this degree at the same place you did your first degree. Otherwise it'd probably take you more like 3 years to complete it.

Getting an MBA after completing a science degree is a possibility, but MBA schools typically want to see relevant work experience, and, as I mentioned previously, it's tough to get relevant work experience without a business degree.

Another possibility is doing a business degree but taking mostly science/biology electives. Professional schools, and even graduate schools, don't require you to have completed very many science courses, and requiring you to have taken advanced biology courses is unheard of.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you for the replies~
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BryanaButlar BryanaButlar
If you are looking some career related to disease, being a pathologist would be great for you. But becoming a pathologist needs a very lengthy process in terms of education and training tracks amongst all physicians. Requirements include four years of undergraduate study, plus four years of medical school, plus a minimum of four to five years of post-graduate training in pathology residency. After that you will be a certified pathologist.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I know a guy, I don't think he's a doctor, but he might as well be. He took a super specialized program and he's the person who check organs before they're transplanted for quality. Very interesting. I also met a perfusionist during some of my research studies this year, also didn't have to go to med school, but took a super specialized program and she runs the heart and lung machine during coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Lots of careers like that that will get you into the hospital and working in that environment that you wouldn't even think of.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you for replies~

Looking at all these careers, I have to go to grad school?

I was hoping there would be direct career where I could work and study at the same time
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Yep. Grad school, professional school, post-grad college diploma/degree... unless you want a job as a lab technician, but you can't even count on that with just a bachelor's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0