yconic - Human Geography- UofT
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Human Geography- UofT

A photo of Student89 Student89
Human Geography at UofT?
What shall i expect, how is the program and what the courses like? I plan on majoring in it. Coming from a Geog major at UoG, i'm more interested in the human aspect than physical geography.
If anyone has or is in this program, i'd love to hear more about it, also i'm stuck between choosing UTSC or UTSG.

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of BobTheBuilder BobTheBuilder

@Student89 wrote
Human Geography at UofT?
What shall i expect, how is the program and what the courses like? I plan on majoring in it. Coming from a Geog major at UoG, i'm more interested in the human aspect than physical geography.
If anyone has or is in this program, i'd love to hear more about it, also i'm stuck between choosing UTSC or UTSG.

Thanks.

I finished my undergrad in City Studies last year. I would definitely recommend City Studies over Human Geography because it is more multidisciplinary - your Geography degree is filled with Geography classes whereas in City Studies you can take classes in Geography, Anthropology, Economics, Women's Studies, Environmental Science, etc. to count towards your major.

It is a lot of critical thinking and essay-writing so make sure you have a good grasp of the English language. If you do not, the Writing Centre is there to help you out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks,
At the moment i have the choice of picking a double major in Human Geog and City Studies at UTSC. I love urban geog but i didn't know about the economic, women studies, etc aspect of the program. With my previous marks at UoG, my essay writing is quite strong so im very comfortable with that, but is the course loads large in terms of having a diverse range of studies, as in womens with economic, and in my future case, more geography?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Student89 wrote
Thanks,
At the moment i have the choice of picking a double major in Human Geog and City Studies at UTSC. I love urban geog but i didn't know about the economic, women studies, etc aspect of the program. With my previous marks at UoG, my essay writing is quite strong so im very comfortable with that, but is the course loads large in terms of having a diverse range of studies, as in womens with economic, and in my future case, more geography?

I pretty much took all Geography and City Studies courses because the Anthropology/Women's Studies/etc. didn't appeal to me like it did to some of my friends.

There's definitely a wide selection of courses. For City Studies, they know have field courses where you can actually get involved with the local community. I enjoyed all of my City Studies-related classes with the exception of "Social Geography". It was pretty much BS about gendered spaces and identity. I found it to be too abstract, more like a Philosophy class. The others were really good; there's classes like Geographies of Disease, GIS, Urban Geography, Canadian City Planning, Urban Transportation Planning, and there's even a class on Mixed Raced People. The Geography faculty is amazing; they actually care about your success which is more than I can say about other UofT programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ok, Thanks a lot.
I was wondering, since you've finish your undergrad at UTSC, do your records say UofT in general or does it say UofT Scarborough?
I ask this because people always tell me i should choose UTSG because of their prestige and that my final documents will say Scarborough and ppl may have a more negative look onto UTSC than UTSG.
Do/Did you find this to be true, and is it available to see on your final docs?

Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@Student89 wrote
Ok, Thanks a lot.
I was wondering, since you've finish your undergrad at UTSC, do your records say UofT in general or does it say UofT Scarborough?
I ask this because people always tell me i should choose UTSG because of their prestige and that my final documents will say Scarborough and ppl may have a more negative look onto UTSC than UTSG.
Do/Did you find this to be true, and is it available to see on your final docs?

Thanks.

No worries.

ALl of the documentation at the end does say "Scarborough". As far as the prestige goes, U of T is still U of T; there is a reason why UTSC is called University of Toronto, Scarborough Campus and not University of Scarborough. There is still rigorous standards by which faculty and students need to adhere to. While it is true that some people may see UTM and UTSC as less prestigious, but that is ignorance.

I noticed on the other thread that you have, someone mentioned 10% of the class can get A's. That is absolutely true - but not for social science students anymore. That was amended a few years ago. I think it still holds in Economics and Management, but not anymore in Social Sciences.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ya that's what i thought. Thanks.
Btw, did you living in residence at UTSC, off campus or commute? And for UTSC what do you think is the best, more social, fun, etc? I only live 30 mins away but i'd like to be one campus...

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Student89 wrote
Ya that's what i thought. Thanks.
Btw, did you living in residence at UTSC, off campus or commute? And for UTSC what do you think is the best, more social, fun, etc? I only live 30 mins away but i'd like to be one campus...

I was a commuter. To be honest, I hated the overall experience! The only things to get involved in are cultural groups, and that gets old after some time. Personally, I hated the segregation (ie. Chinese Management Student's Association and all the religion-based clubs).

Another thing is that the Science and Economics/Management students get so much preference, it's not even funny. They built a new Management wing (very modern and sleek) when I started in 2006 and a new Science wing in 2009 or so. This year, a brand new state-of-the-art building opened for Management and Computer Science students. Meanwhile, the Humanities/Soc Sci kids get the use the old buildings from the 70s.

Looking back, I would definitely encourage UTSG. I absolutely loved the City Studies program, but hated every other aspect of UTSC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks,
ya i was thinking about all that, i really want to live on a campus, but i love having the social side and a lot of it. Everyone has said UTSC is sort of difficult to have a social side on cause there are a lot of people commuting and segregation. Thanks a lot of your opinions and all the information, you've helped me a lot.
Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Anytime!
Was this helpful? Yes 0