yconic - Humber or Ryerson for Nursing?? Help!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Humber or Ryerson for Nursing?? Help!

A photo of leah93 leah93
I'm so confused. I've been accepted to both and I have no idea where to go. Any thoughts or suggestions??? Anything would help! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I haven't heard anything about Humber, but I know Ryerson has a really good nursing program.
But since Humber is a college and Ryerson is a university, they both have very different learning environments.
Colleges tend to have smaller classes, so prof's will actually know your name and be able to help you out a bit more. On the other hand, universities tend to have bigger classes, so chances are, your profs won't even know your name.
If you wanted to go into nursing, I would pick the college, so Humber.. because nursing is more of a practical program and requires lots of hands-on.. so much easier when you have more help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leah93 leah93

@cyynthiia wrote
I haven't heard anything about Humber, but I know Ryerson has a really good nursing program.
But since Humber is a college and Ryerson is a university, they both have very different learning environments.
Colleges tend to have smaller classes, so prof's will actually know your name and be able to help you out a bit more. On the other hand, universities tend to have bigger classes, so chances are, your profs won't even know your name.
If you wanted to go into nursing, I would pick the college, so Humber.. because nursing is more of a practical program and requires lots of hands-on.. so much easier when you have more help.

Wow, this really helped a lot :) I think I would prefer to have smaller classes and have profs that do know who I am. I would probably do better in an environment like that. I'm just worried that one school you graduate with a BScN and the other is BN, and I have no idea if they make a difference!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I'm pretty sure that they are both equivalent.
Just that most universities offer nursing in their Sciences/Health/Life Sciences programs, so you would have a BScN, whereas most colleges offer nursing through their school of nursing, which is the case with Humber, I think, so you would have a BN.
I would also assume that following a university path would mean more science based classes, whereas colleges are more clinically based.
I'm not 100% sure, though, since I'm not a nursing student myself, but it seems to make sense to me.
:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leah93 leah93

@cyynthiia wrote
I'm pretty sure that they are both equivalent.
Just that most universities offer nursing in their Sciences/Health/Life Sciences programs, so you would have a BScN, whereas most colleges offer nursing through their school of nursing, which is the case with Humber, I think, so you would have a BN.
I would also assume that following a university path would mean more science based classes, whereas colleges are more clinically based.
I'm not 100% sure, though, since I'm not a nursing student myself, but it seems to make sense to me.
:cheers:

Thank you so much for your responses, you have honestly really helped me. Ryerson, BScN, being more science based is what's holding me back. I'm really worried about that, and I've heard some things lately about Ryerson that have made me second guess myself. As of right now I am leaning towards Humber. Ugh. But thanks again for all your help! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of poeticallydemented poeticallydemented
One of my friends in Nursing at Humber says her program is actually through University of New Brunswick... did you apply to that program? She's never been to New Brusnwick in her life but she's getting a diploma from there!

I know someone in Ryerson's nursing, I think it's joint with Centennial, the first four semesters are at Centennial and the last four are at Ryerson... not sure if you've applied to that but if you did you should get a nice mix of both University and College!
Was this helpful? Yes 0