yconic - I am a 4th year Mac Health Sci student, ask me anything you want to know about the program.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

I am a 4th year Mac Health Sci student, ask me anything you want to know about the program.

A photo of james182 james182
Hey everyone, I'm a fourth year student in the BHSc Program. Prospective students, feel free to ask me anything about the admissions process and I'll try to answer to the best of my ability. Good luck to all those who applied!

PS, I can't read through your supplementary application.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of CyanicSparrow CyanicSparrow
I'm interested about the amount of science content one actually learns in the program. I realize there's an emphasis on skill-building, but does this actually mean that you learn less knowledge about biology and chemistry then say a life sciences student?

Did you mark supplementary applications? If so, what made an 'outstanding' essay for you? I'm just curious :).

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of james182 james182

@CyanicSparrow wrote
I'm interested about the amount of science content one actually learns in the program. I realize there's an emphasis on skill-building, but does this actually mean that you learn less knowledge about biology and chemistry then say a life sciences student?

Did you mark supplementary applications? If so, what made an 'outstanding' essay for you? I'm just curious :).

Thanks

Hey CyanicSparrow, great question.

I would argue that in first year, the difference is minimal. We take the same introductory chemistry courses as all other first year science students. Our biology is taught in a different way, and focuses on cellular signalling and molecular biology as a means to introduce students into the world of using primary research in addition textbooks to learn.

In later years, there are mandatory cell biology and biochemistry courses in an inquiry format, where you'll complete group projects. Generally, you'll learn something MUCH more in-depth than you would learn in any lecture-style class, but the information you learn may not be as broad.

What we don't have in mandatory traditional style science courses, we have in mandatory courses related to health. For example, anatomy and physiology is mandatory for most students in second year, as is epidemiology and statistics. In later years students must take health policy and critical appraisal of literature.

Overall, the wrong question to ask is "does one program learn more than the other". The two programs focus on different things, and each excels at what they're trying to teach.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JJamieson JJamieson
This is awesome! I was just wondering how you think the work load/difficulty of the program is. Was it a big challenge transitioning from high school? I heard that once you get it, the material is not hard at all!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of larbiiiz larbiiiz
Roughly how much does it cost a year? Would you recommend living on campus at all or off campus? Do you have any tips on how to save money and do you think that it's worth it going to Mac for health sciences?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of louzz louzz
HI, my average is 82, do I have chance to get in medical radiation science??
Was this helpful? Yes 0