yconic - I am scare about not getting accepted again
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

I am scare about not getting accepted again

A photo of AngelRider123 AngelRider123
Hi,
I am really scare about not getting into university again for the second time because my four courses are really lacking off and I am really scare. You see, I am on my fifth year of high school and got rejected by all three of my universities that I wanted to apply for the sciences. But then I change my whole program back to the arts and now I am really nervous about not getting in for the second time. Right now, I apply to Waterloo for Honor Arts (legal studies), Ryerson for Criminology and Justice and Guleph for Criminology and Justice with Policy in it. Their marks for all of them are high 70s and low 80s. I have my two out of my top six, which are Advance functions; 80% and International business; 75%. I am now taking Economics, Writer's Craft and English. As well, I have night school for calculus. All four of my marks are in the low 60s and I don't know how am I suppose to get my marks high enough so that university will look at me. I am really stress out and as well really scare that I may not make it again just like last year and I am really worry about it. I don't want to go to the workforce because I am not that type of a person who wants to go to work. I like to learn and work hard and not do boring things. I don't know what I can do of this time besides working my best to get as much marks as I can get my hands on. Do you guys have any tips on how to do well before my final exams comes in for both May (night school) and June (day school).

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of ariadne89 ariadne89
First of all, try to take a couple of deep breaths and relax. I know how completely stressful school and grades and big life decisions about university can be, and I'm sure you are feeling a ton of pressure to get in from family, friends and society in general, especially since you're already on your second try. But even as a random observer, I can see that your stress levels are out the roof, and you're not going to be productive at improving your grades or making big decisions if you don't engage in some self-care. I know it sounds cheesy and kind of obvious, but make sure you are eating healthy, getting lots of sleep and not overdoing it on the caffeine. Again, this will sound kind of cheesy, but try to do something kind for yourself, whatever that may mean for you. It could be something like going to meditate for an afternoon at your favourite park or treating yourself to lunch and a movie. Just make a bit of time for yourself in order to get strong and cut down on your stress before you really tackle the issue of your grades. Try to put your life into perspective and think positively. You may not have perfect grades, but do you have good health? Things that you enjoy doing or talent in other areas? Friends and family that care for you? Getting into a particular school may seem like the end all and be all right now, but 10 years from now it will likely seem unimportant.

Now, as for how you can improve on your grades and your performance at school, I really think you need to talk to your teachers, rather than asking random people on the internet. Only your teachers can really know what specific areas you need to improve on most, and since they're the ones marking your work, they probably have by far the best tips on how do better! Find a way to politely ask if you can meet with them at their convenience for a few minutes after class, during the lunch period, etc. Explain to them honestly but politely that you are looking for ways to improve your grade, and ask if they can give you feedback on how to improve and any specific tips for tests, studying, etc. Just be careful not to seem like you're begging for extra credit or blaming your grades on them. I would also suggest seeing if you could find a peer tutor or study buddy at your school.. or perhaps a local older tutor who attended your high school. Again, other students who are actually enrolled in the same class and know the assignments and requirements are going to have way better tips than random people on the internet who don't know the class or teacher.

Finally, I wish you the best on getting into university, and I'm absolutely not trying to imply that I think you won't get in, but I feel like you're aching to hear this from someone: it's NOT the end of the world if you don't into university. It won't mean that you're a bad person, or a stupid person, or that you don't have many talents and things to offer to the world. It won't mean that you won't have a happy, fulfilling life or that you won't be a productive, positive member of society. I know that with how incredibly competitive the economy is right now, society pretty much makes it seem like university is the only path for basically any and every kid from your standard middle class family, but that's not really true. Keep your options open, and you'll realize there are so many other valuable things you can do. So many people look down on college, but these days many college programs lead to high-paying jobs much quicker and easier than BAs do. If you're interested in travel, there are all sorts of programs where you can travel for free in exchange for doing volunteer work or development work (like building houses, working with children, etc.) in other countries. Those kinds of things can be amazing experiences and also look fantastic on a resume. There are all sorts of internships and co-op opportunities available too, which can give you fantastic job experience. It may seem like your only options are university on one end of the spectrum or a low-paid job at Timmie's on the other end, but that's not necessarily accurate. Worst case scenario if you don't get in and then have to wait a couple years to apply again later as a mature student, you'll have a lot more money and job experience than kids who go fresh out of high school.

In fact, I'm not trying to be mean or harsh because obviously I don't know you personally, but it seems like maybe taking a year or two off of school in order to figure out exactly what you want to do could be a good idea. If you are struggling this much to get decent grades in high school, university is only going to be 10x harder, with 10x more stress and pressure. You might be amazed by the difference that a few extra years of maturity can make. Plus you seem really unsure about what you actually want to study at university, and it's better to take a year or two off and save up rather than go spend thousands on something you won't enjoy or won't get good grades in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of annabee annabee
judging solely by your grades you might not have what it takes to make it in university. sorry if this is harsh, but if you're struggling to get over 70 in your high school courses for a 2nd time, this might just be a sign you're meant for different things. Plus its much harder to keep a decent average if you do get accepted, so what will happen then? I'm just trying to give a rational option, but like the person above said - its not the end of the world if you don't get into university. Maybe you should take some time off to think about what would really be best for you, or even apply to college, theres nothing wrong with doing either. best of luck to you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of katadare katadare

@annabee wrote
judging solely by your grades you might not have what it takes to make it in university. sorry if this is harsh, but if you're struggling to get over 70 in your high school courses for a 2nd time, this might just be a sign you're meant for different things. Plus its much harder to keep a decent average if you do get accepted, so what will happen then? I'm just trying to give a rational option, but like the person above said - its not the end of the world if you don't get into university. Maybe you should take some time off to think about what would really be best for you, or even apply to college, theres nothing wrong with doing either. best of luck to you!

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@AngelRider123 wrote
Hi,
I am really scare about not getting into university again for the second time because my four courses are really lacking off and I am really scare. You see, I am on my fifth year of high school and got rejected by all three of my universities that I wanted to apply for the sciences. But then I change my whole program back to the arts and now I am really nervous about not getting in for the second time. Right now, I apply to Waterloo for Honor Arts (legal studies), Ryerson for Criminology and Justice and Guleph for Criminology and Justice with Policy in it. Their marks for all of them are high 70s and low 80s. I have my two out of my top six, which are Advance functions; 80% and International business; 75%. I am now taking Economics, Writer's Craft and English. As well, I have night school for calculus. All four of my marks are in the low 60s and I don't know how am I suppose to get my marks high enough so that university will look at me. I am really stress out and as well really scare that I may not make it again just like last year and I am really worry about it. I don't want to go to the workforce because I am not that type of a person who wants to go to work. I like to learn and work hard and not do boring things. I don't know what I can do of this time besides working my best to get as much marks as I can get my hands on. Do you guys have any tips on how to do well before my final exams comes in for both May (night school) and June (day school).

Thanks

Your not cut out for university. it's not the end of the world. Go to college for a field you'd like to work in. If you want uni badly change your options to UOIT and York. You'll have a chance of getting accepted there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TeaL3 TeaL3
Wow. Same thing with me last year. I really thought I was going to go into sciences but realized I wasn't cut out for it so I changed everything and heading towards social science. I'm currently on my fifth year too. I worked my ass off this year but it was great because I was actually taking courses that I love to be in every day. Always making sure your taking courses that you love and enjoy! It makes everything easier. Especially when your going into humanities or social sciences because the only prerequisites for those are Enlgish. If you can, try to step it up for the exam, talk to your teacher and guidance about it. I'm sure they'll help you out if you're sincere. Consider summer courses or one extra semester if you can. Even join college first if you find it difficult to get into university at the moment. I believe that it doesn't matter how long it takes you to get there, because your goal should be just getting there. I hope this helps ~ goodluck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bscit Bscit

@Rum wrote

@AngelRider123 wrote
Hi,

Thanks

Your not cut out for university. it's not the end of the world. Go to college for a field you'd like to work in. If you want uni badly change your options to UOIT and York. You'll have a chance of getting accepted there.

York for law. Lol gl with that. But UOIT I heard it is horrible to Law but atleast you are going somewhere. You should hurry up and leave High school. 1 Extra year is enough. Unless if you want to change careers.

And seeing that it is your second year, shouldnt you have changed your work habits and studied harder? I thought people learn from their mistakes but for some people I guess they have to screw up twice to realize.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I was in the exact same position as you were two years ago. I was taking heavy math/science courses with the intention of pursuing engineering in university. However, I ended up failing half my courses (4) that year. In my fourth year, I ended up taking courses in the humanities and social sciences, pretty much everything outside of the natural sciences and ended up doing quite well. Now in my fifth year I've worked even harder and managed to pull nearly a 90% average in my top 6 for the BA programs that I've applied to. You just got to pinpoint your strengths and weaknesses and focus on what you're good at because your dreams may not always end up a reality.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of louzz louzz
Don't worry!
I know how u feel. Just keep ur head up and continue working hard.

The best solution is to take a summer school course to raise ur mark. u can also take an e-learning simultaneously

and then reapply in summer! I'm sure u can make it~
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of louzz louzz
or maybe u can take a course in private school which is much easier

Life still goes on, dont be desperate =D
Was this helpful? Yes 0