yconic - I chose the WRONG Major!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

I chose the WRONG Major!

A photo of nb38 nb38
Ok, I want to go into Arts, more specifically Speech Communication.

HOWEVER, I chose to Major in Physical Sciences, from the Science department. Im not interested in that anymore =P

Is it possible to switch from Science to Arts in the first year?

Btw, Im going to U of Waterloo =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy

@nb38 wrote
Ok, I want to go into Arts, more specifically Speech Communication.

HOWEVER, I chose to Major in Physical Sciences, from the Science department. Im not interested in that anymore =P

Is it possible to switch from Science to Arts in the first year?

Btw, Im going to U of Waterloo =)

Why don't you stick with physical sciences so you can actually get a job. An arts degree from Waterloo is as useful as an bleep on an elbow.

Anyways, I'm sure you can change - just give UW a call.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
The general rule of thumb is that it's always easier to switch from the sciences to the arts than the other way around. Given that you haven't even started your studies yet, I suggest you make a call to the admissions office to ask for the exact procedure on how to switch.

Please do not be discouraged by naysayers - an arts degree is not a barrier to having a fulfilling career, but a rotten attitude will be. Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@Spengler wrote
The general rule of thumb is that it's always easier to switch from the sciences to the arts than the other way around. Given that you haven't even started your studies yet, I suggest you make a call to the admissions office to ask for the exact procedure on how to switch.

Please do not be discouraged by naysayers - an arts degree is not a barrier to having a fulfilling career, but a rotten attitude will be. Good luck.

+1. Contact Waterloo specifically.

And to JNBirDy, Speech Communications is probably more marketable than Physics. Speech-language pathology is a huge field right now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
A degree in speech communication alone is pretty much useless. If it leads to a Master's program that allows you to be certified as a speech-language pathologist, then you're well set.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
A degree in speech communication alone is pretty much useless. If it leads to a Master's program that allows you to be certified as a speech-language pathologist, then you're well set.

Yes, that's what I meant. But to make physics lucrative you'd probably a need a PhD.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512

@Zion wrote

And to JNBirDy, Speech Communications is probably more marketable than Physics. Speech-language pathology is a huge field right now.

Yeah girl.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hobbes hobbes
Ugh, I hate it when people give out their opinions about your program choice by saying stuff like "Oh, that's useless."
Was this helpful? Yes 0