yconic - I do not know what to do, PLEASE HELP ME!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

I do not know what to do, PLEASE HELP ME!

A photo of Bawwwwss Bawwwwss
I'm debating whether or not I should stay back a year. I accepted my offer from guelph for commerce. Although, I'm not sure if I want to do commerce anymore. I have always had a passion for engineering, but I doubted myself and did not take any science courses because I thought I would do poorly in them. I'm not the brightest person, but I'm also not the dumbest. Engineering requires very hard courses, some of which I do not know if I can handle. Should I stay back a year and find out what I truly want to do? Or go to guelph and see if I like commerce? Thanks, any help is appreciated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of gassergasser gassergasser
In my opinion, don't go to Guelph commerce if you have no idea what your going to do with your life. If engineering is your dream, then stay back a year, get those courses and live your dream.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Stay back. You can take the science courses and see if engineering will work. You can always upgrade or take some bird courses too to get better marks. Then you can either apply for engineering programs or to better business programs. Guelph Commerce will always be there for you.

Good luck :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
If earning lots of money is important to you, then you're looking at losing about a year of income by staying back a year. However, I think you should stay back and make the most of a gap year, because while money is important, it's not as important as finding work that you'll actually love doing (instead of dreading) for the next 40-50 years of your life.

Job shadow engineers to see if you would actually enjoy the profession, while taking the necessary science courses to apply to engineering programs. I would also recommend talking to or job shadowing professionals in whichever area of commerce you might be interested in. You might find that commerce is actually what want to do, in which case you could always accept your offer to Guelph (I'm assuming you'll be asking for a deferral from Guelph).

Consider also holding a part-time job if you do take a gap year. That way, you can save money for school and get some valuable work experience.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PJ PJ
Just be aware that deferral policies (if you are planning to request a deferral from Guelph) typically require that you do not attend any education institution during the year that you defer. Meaning you cannot place hold while you go back to high school to figure out if Engineering is for you.
With regards to the comment about missing out on a potential year's income, you are also spending a year's worth of university tuition and residence fees etc. when you are not sure what you want to do.
Just some thoughts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0