yconic - I don't have anyone to write me letters of reference
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

I don't have anyone to write me letters of reference

A photo of jhlee jhlee
..... D: what should I do? Do all scholarships require them? How many letters of reference should I have? I'm not really close with any teachers :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of lemony lemony
It doesn't have to be a teacher. Think of what your extracurricular activities and community involvement are, then ask "Who is in charge of that organization?" and that is the person who can write you a reference letter.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
You need to get close with them...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of purpledog purpledog
I'm sure if you're a good student in the course, and you explain that you're applying for a scholarship, that they'll be more than willing to write a reference letter for you. You don't need to be close to them in a "buddy-buddy" sort of way, but that would definitely help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Keylee12 Keylee12
I've been out of school now for 15 years. I am going back now so I can do better by my kids. Does anyone have any idea how would be a good way to go about getting reference letters?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jomie jomie

@Keylee12 wrote
I've been out of school now for 15 years. I am going back now so I can do better by my kids. Does anyone have any idea how would be a good way to go about getting reference letters?

Have you been employed by anyone recently? Or done any volunteer work?
You could always take up some volunteer work now and ask them for a reference letter. I find that's the easiest if you don't have an employer. You could always ask friends, but that's probably a little more biased and unprofessional.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SKYeglinton SKYeglinton
ask anyone you're familiar with professionally i.e. your boss, teacher, supervisor, group leader.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AnnW93 AnnW93
They can be coaches, teachers, volunteer/ work supervisor. Majority of the time, not someone related to you.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LubeyLu LubeyLu
You can go up to almost anyone, even family friend.
You don't have to ask from teachers that favour you because when you ask nicely they'll most likely do it. However, give them atleast two weeks notice to do it.
Does anyone know if every scholarship needs a reference letter or is it optional?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of highxonxsplenda highxonxsplenda
If the person you're asking a reference letter doesn't know you as well as you'd like them to, give them a resume outlining stuff you've done that you might want them to bring up in the reference letter. It'll help them, too, with the whole process.
And no, not all scholarships need a reference letter. But generally, the bigger, $1000+, ones do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Most people are pretty happy to write you a letter if you just ask. Even if they don't know you very well they'll just make something up
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Life's tough bro
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think what you should start doing now is to work really hard in one teacher's class, and make sure he/she sees that you are a dilligent student. Then that teacher may start to like you, and to write reference letters for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Sucking up always works. ;)
JOKESSS.. Don't go that. :)

It doesn't HAVE to be a teacher..
It could be your youth pastor, your pastor, your doctor, your dentist, your optometrist.. your parents' close family friends.. essentially anyone that's not in your family will be acceptable.
You could just ask one of your teachers, even if you aren't close with them; I'm sure they'd be more than willing to help you write one.
If you don't know them that well, just write down a list of all your accomplishments, achievements, awards, etc.. or give them a copy of your resume.
Was this helpful? Yes 0