yconic - i don't know what to do!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

i don't know what to do!

A photo of jessraye8 jessraye8
Hi! This is my first post though i read the other posts on here quite often. My problem is I don't know what to do when i'm older. I know I don't need to declare my major yet but I don't know if i want to apply for math or science. I really like math and I have gotten the highest mark in my class all through high school (I'm in grade 12) but I also like science, and i'm particularly interested in astronomy and the like. The problem is I don't really know what careers I can do if I apply for the math faculty and if I took science that would require me to take a general science course first year right? Also, how do electives work? Can you take anything as an elective or does it have to be within the faculty ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
You can take general electives. Why not combine the two? Take some math courses, and take some astronomy/astrophysics courses. Overall major go into a science field you enjoy that is linked to astronomy and has more math.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessraye8 jessraye8
so when I apply, I should apply for science and go from there?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
My suggestion is look for careers you might want to do, and find out what you need to get there. Don't just aimlessly take courses because you 'like' them
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of laura14 laura14
I'm at the University of Waterloo. I have a lot of friends in Math Physics. For this program you can either apply through the math faculty or the science faculty. The people I know applied through the science faculty and will end up with a BSc with a math minor (or you could do it the other way around). In this program there is also the option of co-op so you can try out either math or physics jobs and in upper years you can specialize in astronomy/astrophysics I believe (or at least take a lot of courses based on this).

Don't worry too much about the program you choose, once your in university it's fairly simple and easy to change programs if you don't like it.
Waterloo has both a great math and science faculty (just talking from experience). However, math is rather brutal here - being known for math often means it's hard (but if you like it you'll do fine!).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rightsaidfred rightsaidfred

@jessraye8 wrote
Hi! This is my first post though i read the other posts on here quite often. My problem is I don't know what to do when i'm older. I know I don't need to declare my major yet but I don't know if i want to apply for math or science. I really like math and I have gotten the highest mark in my class all through high school (I'm in grade 12) but I also like science, and i'm particularly interested in astronomy and the like. The problem is I don't really know what careers I can do if I apply for the math faculty and if I took science that would require me to take a general science course first year right? Also, how do electives work? Can you take anything as an elective or does it have to be within the faculty ?

Really, none.
Math has lots of applications. IF you're like Terrence Tao, be a math prof.
If not, be a math teacher. If you're pretty good at math (grad school level mathematics) become a hedge fund analyst or a quant or something.
Lots of math majors go into finance, as well, or computer science.

As for astronomy? Science is really cool but a lot of hard/theoretical science just doesn't cut it as far as jobs go. What can you do? Teach? That's about it for astronomy.

Elective courses are stupid. In Canada and the USA, they make you take electives which are generally unrelated to your major. So if you're taking Engineering, your electives might be anything from the humanities - which is annoying.
If you take philosophy, you might take a "Conceptual Physics" course or something that's sciency. It's pretty lame.
Was this helpful? Yes 0