yconic - I have a biology question.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

I have a biology question.

A photo of brady23 brady23
I don't know the answer to this question in my textbook. Can anyone help me?

The question is: What would be an ideal enzyme in photosynthesis to regulate by feedback inhibition. How could this enzyme be regulated?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Mas40 Mas40
hey

that is indeed a very hard question...

here is some text that i found, hopefully it is helpful

http://jxb.oxfordjournals.org/content/54/382/539.full

Good Luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Mas40 wrote
hey

that is indeed a very hard question...

here is some text that i found, hopefully it is helpful

http://jxb.oxfordjournals.org/content/54/382/539.full

Good Luck!

Thank you! I don't know the answer, and my school's biology department is pretty tough, so I'm trying to get as much practice as I can.

My textbook asks the same question for glycolysis, but I think I know that one is the enzyme phosphofructokinase.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of newageanubis newageanubis
For glycolysis, phosphofructokinase is inhibited by citrate/citric acid from the Kreb cycle.

As for photosynthesis, I think ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase-oxygenase is a fairly good candidate. If the enzyme were downregulated by feedback inhibition, the plant would be able to reduce the incidence of photorespiration. Any Calvin cycle intermediate could inhibit the enzyme. I think 1,3-bisphosphoglycerate is good candidate for that because it's far enough from the carboxylation reaction, but present in a relatively large concentration.

Another candidate I can think of is ferredoxin-NADP+ reductase. Once enough carbohydrates are synthesized, non-cyclic photophosphorylation isn't really required until carbohydrates are needed again. Any of the Calvin cycle intermediates could inhibit this enzyme; I would say 1,3-bisphosphoglycerate, again.

Hope I helped somehow. Good luck! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@newageanubis wrote
For glycolysis, phosphofructokinase is inhibited by citrate/citric acid from the Kreb cycle.

As for photosynthesis, I think ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase-oxygenase is a fairly good candidate. If the enzyme were downregulated by feedback inhibition, the plant would be able to reduce the incidence of photorespiration. Any Calvin cycle intermediate could inhibit the enzyme. I think 1,3-bisphosphoglycerate is good candidate for that because it's far enough from the carboxylation reaction, but present in a relatively large concentration.

Another candidate I can think of is ferredoxin-NADP+ reductase. Once enough carbohydrates are synthesized, non-cyclic photophosphorylation isn't really required until carbohydrates are needed again. Any of the Calvin cycle intermediates could inhibit this enzyme; I would say 1,3-bisphosphoglycerate, again.

Hope I helped somehow. Good luck! :)

Thank you, that question did come up on the test, and I put NADP+ reductase for the reason you said, and I got 3.5 / 4 on that question! :D

I only lost 0.5 because she was looking for Protein Z because she said that the enzyme you want to regulate should be earliest in photosynthesis to minimize energy waste, but we had freedom with which enzyme we wanted to choose.
Was this helpful? Yes 0