yconic - I know it sounds terrible, but should I?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

I know it sounds terrible, but should I?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey all,

Judge if you want. I just want some opinions on this... I really don't know what to do. I'm a grade 12 student in Ontario, and school started for me two weeks ago. A couple of days ago, our guidance counselor had a meeting to tell us about scholarships. The one in particular that I am interested in is awarded for character, leadership, and academic achievements. The problem is that each school can only nominate one student to apply for the award.

I know of a few other students interested in this award, but there is one student in particular that concerns me. She's been a classmate of mine for a long time now and, to put it quite simply, she's a cheater. She seems to be able to find a way to cheat on almost every test, including skipping class and forging doctor's notes, getting someone to steal a copy of the test, etc. She was caught once, in grade 10, and was suspended for five days.

My worry now is that she will receive the nomination for the award. She's a good student (no doubt as a result of her cheating), and surprisingly the suspension was sort of swept under the rug. None of our teachers even suspect that she still cheats. She also has some pretty decent leadership activities.

My question is, should I speak up about it? I just don't think it would be fair to me or anyone else if she was nominated, especially for a scholarship awarded for character. What would you do in my position?

Thanks to anyone who actually read this long and rambling post.

Cheers!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of AaronGardam AaronGardam
Go for it man! (As long as its kept anonymous and you have proof you are doing the right thing.) My suggestion is to talk to your councellor beforehand so as you dont upset your reputation and be seen to the administration as getting rid of the competition to get ahead.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
How can you even prove that she still cheats?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

My question is why you haven't been reporting her from the beginning. Reporting her now makes it seem like you're trying to eliminate your opponents for this award. If you were really an upstanding person you would have reported her every time she was cheating.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote
My question is why you haven't been reporting her from the beginning. Reporting her now makes it seem like you're trying to eliminate your opponents for this award. If you were really an upstanding person you would have reported her every time she was cheating.

You're right, I guess I always just thought it wasn't any of my business. Now, however, it's become blatantly obvious that this actually does affect me a lot.

Do you think there's some way I could report her anonymously?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Dreamsicle wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

You're right, I guess I always just thought it wasn't any of my business. Now, however, it's become blatantly obvious that this actually does affect me a lot.

Do you think there's some way I could report her anonymously?

Of course. Leave an anonymous note with a teacher or principal, or set up a fake email account and email the teacher or principal.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote

Of course. Leave an anonymous note with a teacher or principal, or set up a fake email account and email the teacher or principal.

Hmm... sounds like a good idea actually. Maybe I will try this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes it would sounds suspicious now that you would accuse her of cheating if you knew she was doing it before. I would still consult it with your guidance counsellor.. Or even better if you have a friend that is not in the running for this award, ask them to talk to one of the staff at the school. This way it doesnt look as bad and looks as though this person is also wanting this award to be given to a student that deserves it instead of a cheater! This happened to me when one of the girls was in the running for Valedictorian... but all the students voted and they knew what she was like so it worked out that she didn't get it. You would regret not saying something so I would.. the worst thing that is going to happen is that they will just say no.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Apaicanada Apaicanada
Yeah man. When it comes to scholarships don't let it go without a challenge. Go to one of the teachers in charge of applying for this and tell them that this person was cheating and they should be questioned about this before nominations. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Academic fraud is serious. Do your part to stop it. Teach her a lesson now while she's still in high school; the consequences are much worse in uni.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of susan3c susan3c
It's your life and your future. In ten years from now you could be kicking yourself for not telling, as it effected your future education and career. Go for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lms lms
Of course you should report her, not only because it personally affects you but because it is the right thing to do, but what kind of proof do you have? Your credibility only goes so far as your evidence, since you would begin with initial perceptions stacked against you (the first thing teachers would think of your accusations against this student they don't even suspect is that you are moving to eliminate the competition). I suggest you move quickly to have other people (not friends) corroborate your story, get the copy of her cheating papers, etc.... otherwise it only sounds like your words against hers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted