yconic - I know very little.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

I know very little.

A photo of mlegosz mlegosz
In order to become psychiatrist you need to go through med school and obtain an MD, but before you go to med school, you'll need to have at least 3 years of undergrad experience. Most students aspiring med school pursue a bachelor's degree (usually 4 years).

I really encourage you to check out the different programs that universities offer, because as long as you have the med school prerequisite courses, you can study whatever you'd like in undergrad. It's super important that you go into a program and study what you're interested in because you'll need to keep your grades top notch. Take the time to research...it's worth it.

After undergrad and med school, you'll do your residency, which is on-the-job-training in the field (in your case psychiatry) that you wish to work in.

This response in pretty concise, so I recommend you either talk to your guidance councilor at school or Google career paths to get more information.

You might find this site helpful:
http://education-portal.com/psychiatrist.html
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of zacharyyoung zacharyyoung
In order to become psychiatrist you need to go through med school and obtain an MD, but before you go to med school, you'll need to have at least 3 years of undergrad experience. Most students aspiring med school pursue a bachelor's degree (usually 4 years).

I really encourage you to check out the different programs that universities offer, because as long as you have the med school prerequisite courses, you can study whatever you'd like in undergrad. It's super important that you go into a program and study what you're interested in because you'll need to keep your grades top notch. Take the time to research...it's worth it.

After undergrad and med school, you'll do your residency, which is on-the-job-training in the field (in your case psychiatry) that you wish to work in.

This response in pretty concise, so I recommend you either talk to your guidance councilor at school or Google career paths to get more information.

You might find this site helpful:
http://education-portal.com/psychiatrist.html
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nadia93 nadia93
To become a psychiatrist, the first step is to complete a minimum of 2 to 3 years of undergraduate university education. You can do basically any program although many prefer do something medically related so you're prepared for the MCAT, so programs like biology, chemistry, biomedical sciences, psychology (most related to psychiatry!), health sciences etc., which are available from mostly all Ontario universities. You then need to complete medical school, which takes another 3 to 4 years.

Most medical schools accept people from a range of academic backgrounds, including the humanities, though some core science courses are generally required. Because admission to medical school is so competitive, most applicants earn at least a bachelor’s degree before applying. It usually takes 4 years to complete a bachelor’s degree.

Candidates for medical school have to put together lengthy applications and get high scores on the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). Schools then interview the applicants they consider most promising. It is not uncommon for people to apply 2 years in a row before being accepted.

While in medical school, you concentrate your electives on psychiatry. After completing medical school, you are a doctor (MD), but you still have to do a period of on-the-job training, called a residency. The residency period for psychiatrists is usually 5 years.

At the end of your residency, you have to pass the certifying exam of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC). In addition, you’ll need to obtain a licence from the province or territory where you’ll be working.

Best of luck! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0