yconic - I messed up hard in grade 11...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

I messed up hard in grade 11...

A photo of rickysha rickysha
I messed up hard in Grade 11. My grades were below average (60-65), I was going through some really rough times at home so I couldn't really focus on school and what programs to take in university.

So now I'm in grade 12 trying my hardest to get good averages so I could get into a Business program in university. I'm aiming for Ryerson's Business Management program.

My question is, how much will my grade 11 averages influence my acceptance into university programs? If I manage to maintain averages in the low to mid 80s will my grade 11 marks even matter?

Here's my timetable if it matters.

Semester One
GR12 Economics
GR12 Business Management
GR12 Construction Technology
GR12 Mathematics for College Technology (prereq for Advanced Functions)

Semester Two
GR12 Calculus
GR12 Advanced Functions
GR12 English
GR12 International Business Fundamentals
(yeah, S2 is stacked...)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@rickysha wrote

My question is, how much will my grade 11 averages influence my acceptance into university programs? If I manage to maintain averages in the low to mid 80s will my grade 11 marks even matter?

Your grade 11 marks only count for early admission, and do not affect your top six average calculation at all. If you have stellar marks in Grade 12 U or M courses, that's all that matters. Those numbers won't make you any less likely to get into that program. But remember to focus this year; your work habits are what do matter. I wish you better times at home and at school.

Your second semester does look rough. Make sure you have a reasonably good mark in English especially, as it will be in your top six no matter what. On top of two similar 12U math courses... well... make sure your teachers help you with stuff you don't get.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sllencer sllencer
Personally I think semestered schools are really stupid, the worst way to teach students. Anyway... I think it's gonna be tough as you will have to learn advance function and calculus at the same time, as calculus will rely on knowledge of advance functions
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rela Rela
Holy crap... and I thought I had a tough semester. If I had advanced functions, calculus AND English in the same semester, I would kill myself. You better work your ass off second semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@fxoqxc wrote
is your school retarded? unless your advanced functions is a repeat, you shouldn't be getting advanced functions and calculus in the same semester, talk to guidance

The OP got both Advanced Functions and Calculus and Vectors in semester 2 because of the prerequisite for it wasn't completed in grade 11, which is either Functions (MCR3U) or Mathematics for College Technology (MCT4C), which is now taking place in semester 1. Otherwise, the counselors would have put Advanced Functions in first semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@sllencer wrote
Personally I think semestered schools are really stupid, the worst way to teach students. Anyway... I think it's gonna be tough as you will have to learn advance function and calculus at the same time, as calculus will rely on knowledge of advance functions

Wait, what? Can you elaborate on that one? You also mentioned that it's tough taking Advanced Functions and Calculus at the same time, which I completely agree with. Aren't semestered schools what make it possible for students to take them separately (or repeat Advanced Functions)? How are they exactly the "worst way to teach students"? I'm curious about what makes you say that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meridian Meridian
Make sure you have 6 Grade 12 U/M courses in there. The pre-req math in first term probably is not... Check those other ones.

You can do this no problem - just focus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie
Even if you don't get accepted to where you want to be, you can still give it a shot in the summer. Do REALLY well in your semester 2 as there are 3 really important courses in there. Submit your final marks to the university of your choice and ask them to review your admission over the summer, you will still have a chance to get in, or be put on the waiting list at the least.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Meridian wrote
Make sure you have 6 Grade 12 U/M courses in there. The pre-req math in first term probably is not... Check those other ones.

You can do this no problem - just focus.

The OP seems to have 4 U's (CIA4U, ENG4U, MCV4U, MHF4U) and 2 M's (BBB4M, BOH4M). This does mean all of those marks are needed in the top six. In terms of marks, the OP should focus on Economics and Business Management over the other two.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emcee0 emcee0
I'm no math genius but if I were you I would possibly consider doing a victory lap and take calculus in next year instead of busting your a*s off taking both math's and 12U English in the same semester because that would be too hard to balance, but if you think you can handle it then good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of charlotteliza charlotteliza
Knowledge builds. If you did poorly in Gr.11 math, you're probably going to have trouble in functions and calc, even if you work hard. I'll admit that Functions is a pretty easy course though. Maybe you should go through a grade 11 exam or test and see how you do.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki
I heard that if they put MCV4U and MHF4U in one semester, you would learn vectors first and then calculus, so that you could have time to learn the basics of advanced fucntions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
i graduated grd 12 last year

i had calc and adv func in same semester too

it was funny coz i had calc in the morning and adv fun in the afternoon haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki

@Jack555 wrote
i graduated grd 12 last year

i had calc and adv func in same semester too

it was funny coz i had calc in the morning and adv fun in the afternoon haha

haha that sucks man, worse than having functions and data :$
Im wondering if there's someone who has data, functions and calculus in one semester..
Was this helpful? Yes 0