yconic - I need some details on applying for Univeristy as in process/requirements/programs/scholarships.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

I need some details on applying for Univeristy as in process/requirements/programs/scholarships.

A photo of Sudunno Sudunno
Hello all :)
I have a couple questions pertaining to University.

I'm not so sure on what I'll be doing in the future, but I DEFINITELY know it's going to be focused primarily in science (more biology and chemistry- not so much physics). What's a good program to apply into for University? Is Life Science/Health Science the safe bet?

What types of marks do I need to get into University? I'm about a mid-80 with some 90s in certain courses and some low 80s in others. I generally want to go into the best program possible, tuition fee and private school costs aren't important.

What are the per-requisites for Life Science and Health Science? I have a issue actually, I fast tracked and took grade 12 Advanced Functions in Grade 11 and I started off really well, but in the final few months I burned out and just let myself flop, and I was shocked when my final mark was a 75. My question is, I have a high 80/90 in Calculus right now, do I HAVE to show my Advanced Functions mark? Can I retake it/private school it and have them take the higher mark FOR LIFE/HEALTH SCIENCE programs (specifically McMaster, but in general is fine)?

What are some of the best Universities to go to for life/health science along with their requirements?

For Health/Life Science how important are extracurriculars? I'm going all the councils, vice president of computer club, possibly joining Rugby and Badminton team. Additionally I have about 100-150 hours from multiple different places (including places with social interaction).

Sorry about this sounding hefty to respond to, but brief selective answers are fine (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Yeah life sci is pretty general so there's still time for you to take different courses and figure out what you want to do. Most life sci courses require English, bio, chem, calc, adv functions and one other subject (Mac health sci specifies that this last subject must be nonmath and nonscience). I think it's ok if you retake a subject but double check with admissions to make sure.

You'll need at least an 80% top 6 avg for most life sci programs (exception: Mac health sci requires 90+). Queen's and Mac life sci have admission avgs around high 80s and UWO biomed sci is around low 80s. UTSG life sci has a 75% admission avg or something like that. I'm pretty sure McGill sci has a 90+ admission average as well (though they don't say that a 90+ is necessary like for Mac health sci).

The most popular programs for life/health sci are:
- Mac health sci
- Mac life sci
- UTSG life sci
- UBC sci
- McGill sci
- UWO biomed (their health sci program is actually a social sci program)
- Queen's sci

ECs are super important for Queen's (their supp app focuses heavily on ECs), Mac doesn't even ask for ECs and neither does UTSG. I'm pretty sure UWO didn't ask for EC documentation either unless they've changed that and I'm not sure about the others.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sudunno Sudunno
Thank you so much for the response (:

After some career research I've decided that Pharmacy sounds like a healthy balance of what I want to do. Realistically after reading some horror stories, medicine programs seem impossible.

So I hear Uft St.George is ideal for pharmacy, besides the 75% average+ requirement do they look at ECs?

Are these top 6 courses okay?

REQUIRED:
English est. 86-90
Biology est. 90-92
Chemistry est. 85 (it's really tough in my school)
Calculus est. 86-90
----------
Extra:
Food and Nutrition (M course) est. 95
Classic Civilization (U course) est. 90

I know my extras are really really really odd, but do they look down on it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
your courses look fine. I don't think they care what the extras are, lots of people take courses like that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Your top 6 is fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Toronto12 Toronto12
Is Life Science/Health Science the safe bet? Life science generally will require grad school and specialization after your undergrad if you want a decent job

What types of marks do I need to get into University? Your marks are fine. (85-90 will guarantee UofT, Waterloo, York and most universities)

What are the per-requisites for Life Science and Health Science? I have a issue actually, I fast tracked and took grade 12 Advanced Functions in Grade 11 and I started off really well, but in the final few months I burned out and just let myself flop, and I was shocked when my final mark was a 75. My question is, I have a high 80/90 in Calculus right now, do I HAVE to show my Advanced Functions mark? Can I retake it/private school it and have them take the higher mark FOR LIFE/HEALTH SCIENCE programs (specifically McMaster, but in general is fine)?

Life Science generally requires; 2/3 sciences; biology, chemistry and physics. In addition, it will require 2/3 maths as well; calculus, advanced functions and data management. Unfortunately, your math mark will display regardless of you wanting it or not on Ouac, and I recommend you retake it in normal school. If you take private school, you will get a better grade but it will not benefit you in university. The courses in university are way harder so prepare your best during high school.

What are some of the best Universities to go to for life/health science along with their requirements? Although UofT is one of the world's best, I recommend you to not go to any of their campuses unless you are 100% confident that your study habits, grades, and time management skills are outstanding (if you plan to go to grad school), else you can give it a try :P. Waterloo, Mcmasters and Western are fine as well.

For Health/Life Science how important are extracurriculars? You don't really need extracurricular for life science applications. However, you SHOULD get volunteer experience at hospitals, local pharmacy or any medical roles if you are going for med school. The Pcat and other medical exams (2nd year and up) will require interviews and medical related volunteer experiences.

Good luck
Was this helpful? Yes 0