yconic - I still don't understand how semestered school apply for uni(Grade 12)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

I still don't understand how semestered school apply for uni(Grade 12)

A photo of cherryblossem12 cherryblossem12
I'm in grade 12, I have english in second semester. What i don't understand is how do I apply to my university program if i don't have the prerequisites required by first semester. I know if you're in a non semestered school you can give in your mid term marks, someone please explain. I asked my guidance counciller and she said don't worry about it now. So how do university applications work for semestered schools?

P.S. excuse any spelling mistakes i was trying to make this fast :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
They will wait until they have your sem 2 midterm marks (in Feb/March) to offer you an acceptance. That way they'll know how you're doing in English though they won't see the final marks till afterwards.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
Lol your school has fail guidance counseling, and yeah pretty much what the person above me said.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherryblossem12 cherryblossem12
Thank you for your help and yes i agree it is quite a fail :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@inthemaking wrote
They will wait until they have your sem 2 midterm marks (in Feb/March) to offer you an acceptance. That way they'll know how you're doing in English though they won't see the final marks till afterwards.

For semestered schools, semester 2 midterm marks come out in mid-April, actually. On top of that, universities have until late in May to grant you an offer (but this is still based on the reported midterm marks). You might have to wait until then for admissions to some programs. If you get early acceptance, however, you will get an admission even before any of your grade 12 marks are sent to OUAC. Early admission is usually given out between late January and sometime in February, but apparently some people get admitted as early as December.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele
The universities can see what courses you are enrolled in for second semester, so its not an issue if you have prerequiste then. For example, in my case, I had calculus and chemistry (both prereq's) in second semester and it didn't affect my acceptances at all.

The idea is that you should have earned all the required credits by graduation, not by the time you apply.
Was this helpful? Yes 0