yconic - I wanna do computer science but I'm afraid to fail
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

I wanna do computer science but I'm afraid to fail

A photo of Rebecca1 Rebecca1
I'm still undecided wether to purse a degree in CS or shift to sth else!! I'm afraid to get low marks and lose a huge chance of scholarship. ( If I did CS and maintain a minimum average of 80 in all cs courses, im granted a full tuition scholarship from a local orgnization based on my current high school gpa 96).

Thing is, im not into programming that much. Well, I enjoy some programing but I hate math, logic math & I find alogrithms way too complex. I love web design though, I can develop the most prfessional web page using html (wewe :cheese: ), also enjoyed digital art at some points in my life..

I know CS gradute make good money, and they can work pretty much everywhere ( companies, schools, hospitals, banks, etc..) But I also know it's not an easy job to do an entire degree in BSc CS with 80+ avg all years.

FYI.. applied to:

Waterloo: Software Eng.
Waterloo: CS
U of T: CS
U of A: Engineering Science
York: CS
Macmaster: BSc Business Informatics
Brock: Bsc Computing and Business
uOttawa: CS

Any thoughts?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of ChronosKey ChronosKey
Firstly, if you work hard at anything, you can do well. Don't think about "I MUST GET THIS MARK". Just do the best you can and you most likely will, given your high school average.

However, if you hate "math" and "logic math", CS is probably not for you. The courses can be math intensive with at least 1 or 2 math courses per term in your first few years. There's a reason CS at UW is in the math faculty :P.

If you're not really into programming, math, and algorithms, then CS isn't for you. CS really isn't about web design or digital art either so...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@Rebecca1 wrote
I'm still undecided wether to purse a degree in CS or shift to sth else!! I'm afraid to get low marks and lose a huge chance of scholarship. ( If I did CS and maintain a minimum average of 80 in all cs courses, im granted a full tuition scholarship from a local orgnization based on my current high school gpa 96).

Thing is, im not into programming that much. Well, I enjoy some programing but I hate math, logic math & I find alogrithms way too complex. I love web design though, I can develop the most prfessional web page using html (wewe :cheese: ), also enjoyed digital art at some points in my life..

I know CS gradute make good money, and they can work pretty much everywhere ( companies, schools, hospitals, banks, etc..) But I also know it's not an easy job to do an entire degree in BSc CS with 80+ avg all years.

[snip]

Any thoughts?

Okay, so, obligatory question: are you actually lousy at math or are you just not confident? The problem I see with a lot of women and CS (including myself, by the way) is that they lack confidence in their ability, while they are fully able to compete. So think about that.

That being said, you make it sound like you're not interested in CS whatsoever. CS *is* math, logic and algorithms. HTML is *not* a programmig language. It's a markup language. If you don't like that stuff, then you shouldn't go into it. HTML, web design, and digital design in general sounds like what you're interested in---making pretty things with computers. So you should apply for a digital design program! That field has pretty high job demand, by the way.

tl;dr you are saying that you *don't* wanna do computer science, so don't waste your time with it. If you're good with and/or enjoy math, you'll do well, but if not, you'll probably fail out after first year at best. I'll edit again in a sec to add a link to a post with some more cs info so you can be more informed.
LINK: http://www.studentawards.com/Forum.aspx?g=posts&m=104406#post104406
Read the first five links or so in the post.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
I totally agree with greygoose.. honestly, if you are just going into a program that gives you a high paying job, then you're just going to be unhappy for 4-5 years. If you don't think algorithms, logic, and math is interesting, prepare to possibly hate your program for 4-5 years.

Like mentioned, HTML and web design is not real CS.. it's only 1 small aspect of it, which is graphic design.

Also remember that in any degree, it can be hard to achieve an 80+ average. You should never be afraid of failing, I mean even if you fail, if you're still willing to try again, then you will be given the chance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0