yconic - I was wondering....
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

I was wondering....

A photo of Annabubble2011 Annabubble2011
Hi,

So... I was wondering "do you need calculus for social sciences(political science/sociology)"?

I am really confused because for UTSG requirement.... it says social science(including economics) requires calculus...

I don't have any maths right now and there are no adv function next semester for my school!!~
Will it work if I take Data instead or... other options... :(

Thank you!~ :colors:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of HeroOfCanton HeroOfCanton
Calculus is only required to major in economics, and recommended for international relations and cognitive science (perhaps some others I can't remember right now). You can still take some economics courses without calculus, but you need to take some math courses along with them if you want to major in it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NumberOne NumberOne
^
Why would you need Calculus for IR?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HeroOfCanton HeroOfCanton

@NumberOne wrote
^
Why would you need Calculus for IR?

The international relations program at U of T is based on political science, history and economics. It's recommended, as it opens up more courses in the economics department.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Annabubble2011 Annabubble2011

@HeroOfCanton wrote
Calculus is only required to major in economics, and recommended for international relations and cognitive science (perhaps some others I can't remember right now). You can still take some economics courses without calculus, but you need to take some math courses along with them if you want to major in it.

What if I don't want to major in economics? Is it still recommended to take Data???

When I clicked the social science at UTSG, it always have (including economics) along with it..

thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LaPetiteTanya LaPetiteTanya
You definitely don't need it for a social course. It isn't a bad idea to take the course if you can handle it because it looks good on your transcrpits, but it isn't vital.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rourachnitchai Rourachnitchai
You need to have taken grade 12 calculus (or equivalent university course) for a major or minor in psychology as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of FM1 FM1
No it's not a prerequisite for the majority of arts programs you should be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sam22v Sam22v
I hope i don't end up having to take more math courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0