yconic - I.B or no I.B.?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

I.B or no I.B.?

A photo of slight slight
Is it worth it to take I.B.? I'm thinking of applying to Queen's and McGill for physiotherapy, would it help for my acceptance? And the classes? They say it "prepares" you for university, does it really?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of QCman QCman

@slight wrote
Is it worth it to take I.B.? I'm thinking of applying to Queen's and McGill for physiotherapy, would it help for my acceptance? And the classes? They say it "prepares" you for university, does it really?

its more the ib lifestyle that helps me, but yes the classes can be better too and unis love ib.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I'm a huge huge huge fan of IB. I took full IB in high school and found it helped me immensely in university. It really prepared me and receiving a few university credits also helped to make my degree less stressful. I also won a scholarship because of it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33
According to Mcgill representative who came to my school, McGill doesnt look at IB scores, they look at your provincial scores. Unless u can maintain a 90+ even in IB on your provincial marks, then do it. If you think your mark will suffer coz of IB, McGill would be a problem. But every other Uni loves IB. Just McGill.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725

@cliffhanger33 wrote
According to Mcgill representative who came to my school, McGill doesnt look at IB scores, they look at your provincial scores. Unless u can maintain a 90+ even in IB on your provincial marks, then do it. If you think your mark will suffer coz of IB, McGill would be a problem. But every other Uni loves IB. Just McGill.

Really? I've actually heard that McGill is one of the most "IB friendly" schools in Canada, along with UBC and a few others. But that may refer more to their policies on accepting transfer credits.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cherrypie725 wrote

@cliffhanger33 wrote

Really? I've actually heard that McGill is one of the most "IB friendly" schools in Canada, along with UBC and a few others. But that may refer more to their policies on accepting transfer credits.

That's very odd. At our school, most of our IB graduates,including McGill representative, as well as our IB coordinator, claim that McGill is most unfriendly to IB students. They only look at the provincial marks, not IB scores. Weird.................

And yes you are definitely correct about UBC. I live in Van and UBC has probably the most love to IB students, as well as UT. Majority of our IB students like almost 70=80% go to UBC or UT.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725
According to the McGill website it looks like they take your IB predicted grades into account only if you don't meet the requirements with your provincial marks.

Students at schools that offer the IB Diploma program as well as a regular high school curriculum will be considered for admission based on their high school grades, per the requirements for their applicant pool (i.e., Canadian high school, Ontario high school, and U.S. high school). For information about the admission requirements for each of these pools, please visit the website.

Should a student not be admissible based on these requirements, McGill University will then consider the student for admission according to the IB requirements, wherein the student is assessed on school grades as well as the predicted IB results.

Another thing to note about McGill which I think is pretty unique for IB students among Canadian universities. I know several graduates from the IB program at my school who have pretty much gone directly into 2nd year university right out of highschool. This can be a good thing or a bad thing though, depending on how you look at it. One of my brothers wanted to go to McGill but decided not to, I think (could be wrong on this) because if you get a certain mark in an IB course McGill actually forces you to take the credit. At most other universities, you have the option of whether you want to take the 1st year course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I thought it was worth it because it prepared me for the university-style of learning (self-directed, profs don't care if you fail/don't attend class, it's up to you to keep on top of your work/get help if you fall behind etc). If you're an Ontarian then IB marks translation is pretty sweet too - get a level 7 and it becomes 96-100%, a level 6 becomes 90-95% etc on your Ontario report card.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quiz Quiz
If you wanna be the top-dog in HS, no I.B. Conversely, if you wanna be the top-dog in university, yes I.B.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
I didn't do IB but I did take a couple of AP exams... getting university credit is pretty sweet, especially since it'll let me take more diverse courses than if I hadn't taken them (Eg. I get like 3 electives instead of the usual 1 for life science students)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
U of A is VERY IB friendly. They will give you UNconditional acceptance based on your PREDICTED IB grades. Or at least they did when I graduated
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
I personally had no problem adjusting to university workload and environment and I did not do IB.

Ive probably said this a bunch of times on this forums already, but here we go again -- I did pre-IB in grade 9, hated the environment and the people around me, so I switched back to the HS I was suppose to go to. It was also because my IB school didnt have a lot of options of what we were allowed to take for the sci course and the humanities course. Anyways at my new HS, I went from decent student to top student, it was fairly easy to get high marks, but I still put in a lot of effort.

Went to university, still had my mindset of wanting to work hard. Ended up with a very good 1st term average (not the best obviously, but pretty decent).

This is just me though, I am used to asking people for help when I'm stuck, and doing whatever I can to get that help. I slack sometimes but I'm fairly good at time management.

So all in all, I am very happy I didnt have to go through full IB, and put stress on my young self.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm from Vancouver in BC, taking Ib diploma. If I apply for Ontario school, will my IB points (predicted points) or w/e be translated to a higher mark in Ontario if I apply to an ONtario school??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
U of A is VERY IB friendly. They will give you UNconditional acceptance based on your PREDICTED IB grades. Or at least they did when I graduated

I know UBC was very friendly too, gave unconditional acceptance based on IB predicteds LAST YEAR. I dont know if that is the case this year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking

@cliffhanger33 wrote
I'm from Vancouver in BC, taking Ib diploma. If I apply for Ontario school, will my IB points (predicted points) or w/e be translated to a higher mark in Ontario if I apply to an ONtario school??

Unfortunately, I don't think so. I have friends from Calgary who took IB and they just looked at their IB marks but didn't translate them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0