yconic - IB predicted 32 - Should I start panicking?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

IB predicted 32 - Should I start panicking?

A photo of waterfall waterfall
well, my average is not horrible (86.4%) but my predicted IB marks is not competitive. I applied to Waterloo, Toronto, McMaster, and Western all for mathematics. I believe there is the demand for mathematics is relatively low (in comparison to engineering), but what are my chances of getting admission for these?
Because of my low marks, I have not sent my transcrip yet...
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Are you in Ontario? I think universities will take your Ontario average (86.4%) before they look at your 32/45. I'm not exactly sure how it works (I dropped out lulz) but 86.4% isn't horrible by any means although I think you're on the low end for Waterloo math.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Academentia Academentia
You are probably fine with your 86%. The entering average for math at Waterloo was 86% last year, and more than 40% of those admitted had averages lower than yours.

http://analysis.uwaterloo.ca/statistics/cudo/cudo_2010/htmlSectionB.php#sectionb3
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cr?meGlac Cr?meGlac

@waterfall wrote
well, my average is not horrible (86.4%) but my predicted IB marks is not competitive. I applied to Waterloo, Toronto, McMaster, and Western all for mathematics. I believe there is the demand for mathematics is relatively low (in comparison to engineering), but what are my chances of getting admission for these?
Because of my low marks, I have not sent my transcrip yet...

Not sure about other universities, but typically universities look at your Ontario mark, if you are in Ontario.
I know Queens takes what is better and that McMaster only looks at your IB marks IF you ask them too.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm in Nova Scotia.
Well, will my waterloo maths contest results influence on admission? I had 130/150 in Fermat (Provincial Winner), 77/100 in Euclid, and 60/80 in COMC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Those are all really good scores but I think what matters most is your Euclid score for the one this coming April. If you can get 80+ on it I think you're good. But that's just my best guess lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cr?meGlac Cr?meGlac

@waterfall wrote
I'm in Nova Scotia.
Well, will my waterloo maths contest results influence on admission? I had 130/150 in Fermat (Provincial Winner), 77/100 in Euclid, and 60/80 in COMC.

They definitely like to see that. :)
I'm pretty sure a prof at Waterloo told me something along the lines of being automatically considered if you wrote their math contest...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hi again.

These is a list of universities that I have applied to:
Waterloo
Toronto
Westen Ontario
McMaster
(all mathematics)

With my IB 32 or 86.4% average, do you think that I need to apply to more safety schools?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bcd92 bcd92

@waterfall wrote
Hi again.

These is a list of universities that I have applied to:
Waterloo
Toronto
Westen Ontario
McMaster
(all mathematics)

With my IB 32 or 86.4% average, do you think that I need to apply to more safety schools?

Flaunt your IB status, i think you should get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0