yconic - IB transfer credit - should I take it or not?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

IB transfer credit - should I take it or not?

A photo of feu feu
So I'm in IB and I'm applying to university for 2012. On a lot of university websites it says that you can take transfer credits for your HL subjects provided that you get at least a 5 (in most cases). Then I would get to skip the first year course and move to second year. My HL subjects are English, bio, and chem and I want to study life science or something closely related to that. So should I take the transfer credits and take second year science courses? It seems like a pretty big jump for me going from IB to second year science so I was wondering if anyone had been through the same thing and how they found it.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
I did full IB and received a bunch of transfer credit from the U of A. Unfortunately I couldn't use most of it because I was in engineering. I used my English credit, and I would recommend you do the same unless you really want to take university English. It will get it out of the way (I'm assuming you're required to take English to graduate).

You know yourself best. I went to high school with a guy who used his IB credits to basically jump into second year, and as a result he got into med school after 2 years of university (which is super rare).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of feu feu
Just curious why taking engineering meant you couldn't use most of your credits? Were your other HL subjects not really related or something? I don't really want to take university English if I could take something more interesting instead :P But is the IB science curriculum the same as first year science? To me it seems that the IB curriculum wouldn't cover all of first year science but then again I'm not 100% sure.

And two years of uni before med school? Wow intense.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I took Physics (SL) and Bio (HL) as my sciences. The physics class that engineers take is slightly different than the one that science students take, and I got credit for the science one. Bio would have been useful if I had done a biomed specialization. I got 2 courses worth of history credit, but that doesn't do me much good. My English credit was useful in fulfilling my English requirement and then I got credit for 2 100-level options, one of which I used to fulfill my second complementary studies elective. I took SL Math so got no credit there.

Obviously the IB curriculum is mostly the same or the university wouldn't give you credit for it. If I had gone into sciences I think I probably would have used my credits.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I would take the transfer creds for English but not chem and bio since you're going into science. There may be some new stuff introduced in 1st year chem and bio, plus it's good to get a feel for how university science lectures are organized, what midterms are like etc.

My HL courses were English, chem and econ. I took the transfer creds for English and econ but not for chem (since I also went into science for undergrad). I'm glad because even though there was about 80-90% overlap in 1st year chem with IB chem HL, there was still that 10% of new material I didn't know from IB.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of feu feu
Thanks guys for the replies by the way xD

I've heard that for Ontario universities that they let you take first year course if you want, even if you have the transfer credit. But I also want to apply to McGill and apparently they force you to take the credit. If you decide to take the first year course, they won't give you credit for it. I wouldn't want to miss out on 10% of a course and be lost in the second year, so I want to take the first year course anyways. And I'm considering med school so wouldn't first year bio, chem, etc be required? So what should I do in that case? Is it best to just call McGill and see what they say?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah ask them if you could take the course anyway. If you're applying to med then yes you'll want to take the course to use as a prereq (since transfer creds won't apply to med school/count in your GPA). Plus it would be beneficial for you GPA-wise to repeat those 1st year sciences if you already know most of the material, they should be easy As.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of feu feu
Yeah, good point about GPA. So do transfer credits not apply to pretty much every med school in Canada?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@feu wrote
Yeah, good point about GPA. So do transfer credits not apply to pretty much every med school in Canada?

They won't apply because they are high school transfer credits and med schools don't look at high school marks, only what you did in undergrad. Otherwise it wouldn't be fair to other applicants who didn't take IB/AP because they had to take university level sciences while other people are using their high school science marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0