yconic - IB
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

IB

A photo of pumpkinsoup pumpkinsoup
IB Programs are interesting prospects for highschool students that want a challenging environment to learn, but how do you decide whether it is worth leaving your current school( which might be one of the best in the region) for another?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of moodeline moodeline
Yay for IB! I'm in Year 2, 4 months today and I'll be finished. It's really, really, really worth it, because it is considered one of, if not the most prestigious program to get into university. So, even if you're leaving a school that might be one of the best in the region, it will still not be as good as the school with IB, because it doesn't have IB or a program that in some cases will let you skip an entire year of university. Message me anytime for any IB questions
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blackjack blackjack

@moodeline wrote
Yay for IB! I'm in Year 2, 4 months today and I'll be finished. It's really, really, really worth it, because it is considered one of, if not the most prestigious program to get into university. So, even if you're leaving a school that might be one of the best in the region, it will still not be as good as the school with IB, because it doesn't have IB or a program that in some cases will let you skip an entire year of university. Message me anytime for any IB questions

my god can't wait for these 4 months to pass.

Anyways most ontario unis only consider your top 6 grade 12 marks, whether they are IB or not. so contrary to popular belief, most acutally don't care if your in IB or not. if you have a 90 with IB and someone non-IB has 91, they will take the 91. (because being in the IB courses already gives you a boost in marks) But despite that, I still think its a good program and I'm taking it because it will help me substantially in the first year of uni since your used to the piles of hw and it develops your work ethics.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I graduated from the IB program. Looking back, I'm really glad I went into it because I like challenging myself. Also it was awesome (as an Ontario student) to receive marks translations (ie. if you receive a 7 in an IB course, your Ontario mark gets translated to 96-100%, so it's technically possible to end up with a 100% average - a girl 2 years older than me at my school did). The thing it helped with most was a) making life long friends (still best friends with them now even though I'm in 3rd year uni..suffering through IB together bonds you for life haha) and b) prepping me for uni (pulled many all nighters in IB, now I manage my time well enough that I haven't stayed up past 2am ever to do schoolwork/study).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North
I graduated from the full diploma program last year and it was definately a great decision.

I think the biggest difference that I noticed in IB classes over academic classes was that most people genuinely want to learn. There are still people that just goof around but even these people when it gets down to it want to be there. It just makes your classes so much more interesting.

It also seems a little unfair but (at least at my school) the IB classes get the 'better' and more fun teachers. And being done in May is never a bad thing either.

The other benefit as a university prep program is that the weighting for assessments is much closer to that of university since most of the exams are worth 50-75% of the mark.

If you're considering taking IB just ask yourself why you're at school. If you're just ther as a path to university then don't take IB. But if you are really looking to get something out of your high school years and want to be challenged then go for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PlayOn13 PlayOn13

@North wrote
I graduated from the full diploma program last year and it was definately a great decision.

I think the biggest difference that I noticed in IB classes over academic classes was that most people genuinely want to learn. There are still people that just goof around but even these people when it gets down to it want to be there. It just makes your classes so much more interesting.

It also seems a little unfair but (at least at my school) the IB classes get the 'better' and more fun teachers. And being done in May is never a bad thing either.

The other benefit as a university prep program is that the weighting for assessments is much closer to that of university since most of the exams are worth 50-75% of the mark.

If you're considering taking IB just ask yourself why you're at school. If you're just ther as a path to university then don't take IB. But if you are really looking to get something out of your high school years and want to be challenged then go for it.

I absolutely love IB. Time of my life :) I agree with basically everything here, although I have not had the same experience with teachers. I've had wonderful teachers, and awful teachers. There is still a mixture, however I don't think it would be unfair for the students in the more in-depth, serious and gruelling program to have the 'better' teachers. I would like the stronger teachers to be teaching the more difficult program because frankly, they're better qualified and can do a better job for the students. Anyway, IB is really a good way to get prepared for university because it is a more in-depth program. You really do just need to decide what you're going to high school for; how much you want to focus on academics, extracurricular or working part-time. However, my friends and I have all been able to balance all of these aspects while in the program. So I guess I haven't really helped you at all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Escobar Escobar
For those who have graduated from the IB program, what did you guys do after your done?I'm in Year 2 and the IB Coordinator wants us to develop an internship program at our school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking

@Escobar wrote
For those who have graduated from the IB program, what did you guys do after your done?I'm in Year 2 and the IB Coordinator wants us to develop an internship program at our school.

My school's IB program was geared towards science (we all took math SL, French B SL, English A1 HL, chem HL, and then either bio or physics SL and econ or history HL). Majority of my classmates either went into science (including myself) or engineering. Those who went into science have some varied interests (doctors, neuroscience, optometry, vet for myself). A very small group (<10 students) went into humanities (law, psychology, political science).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shannos5 shannos5
I changed schools and I'm still not sure it was worth it, you have to be sure that you want to dedicate your high school life to school. Right now I've been a little slack so if I stayed in regular program my marks would have been better so I would have maybe had a better chance at some scholarships, but I still feel as if I will be more prepared for university once I get there because I am used to a large work load.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xXxUfacStorAxXx xXxUfacStorAxXx
If I had the option to do IB I would.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@shannos5 wrote
I changed schools and I'm still not sure it was worth it, you have to be sure that you want to dedicate your high school life to school.

I don't really agree with your statement that IB is dedicating your life to school. Almost everyone in my school in IB still maintained their own social lives and activities. The only people who dedicated themselves to schoolwork were the ones who would have in a regular program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of asian123 asian123
Can anyone chance me for these Business uni's?

Predicted Grades: 36 + 1 bonus point = 37/45 points

Mid year grades for second year= 35/42 points

Im applying to:

McGill :)
Richard Ivey
Queens
UofT Rotman

thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah
I could have chosen to switch high schools just to go into IB. However, I would have had to drop out of French immersion.

It was a hard decision, but I ultimately decided that the ability to speak French will help me to get jobs.

There is also a high school that offers French immersion pre IB. I would not have been able to qualify for that school though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0