yconic - ICS3CI
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

ICS3CI

A photo of Element1674 Element1674
I'm interested in science but I think taking programming would be a good idea (just to have). However, the suggested prereq to programming is grade 10 Computer Engineering and/or Computer Studies. I did take Communications, but neither of the suggested prereqs. Will I be screwed without the suggested courses (I know NOTHING about programming, at all) or can I teach myself online over the summer (Anyone have a good website)? Or will I just be able to catch on during the course?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of maattp maattp
There was no need to take the prerequisite in my class. I didn't take it and I got 97%. It's a fairly easy class and they will teach you everything you need to know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Alright, thanks! I highly doubt I'll get a mark THAT high but I'm hoping for 88%+. My next year is lined up to be:

MCR3UI
ENG3UI (Might just get this over with in summer school so I can have a 3rd spare)
HSB3MI
CLU3MI
ICS3CI
SCH4UI ("Fast-tracked" SCH3UI this year)
SPH3UI
SBI3UI

I'm happy with this; good variety, courses I'm hopefully strong in. Still really worried about Programming though, but I'm putting faith in your suggestion :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maattp maattp
If you're really worried about it you could learn a language over the summer. Find out what language your class will be using. My school uses Visual Basic for the grade 11 course but I'm sure it differs from school to school. There's tonnes of videos on YouTube that will show you the basics. You could even watch a few University lectures on iTunes U. Honestly though, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cm0011 cm0011
As for me, I didn't need to, I took ICS3CI and got a 92 without the grade 10 prereq :) I'm sure you won't be the only one without the prerequisite, and your teacher will probably do a review, so don't worry :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If you're really worried about it you could learn a language over the summer. Find out what language your class will be using. My school uses Visual Basic for the grade 11 course but I'm sure it differs from school to school.

Yep, we use Visual Basic too (according to the course outline)! I'll follow your advice and look at some "tutorials" on Youtube to prepare myself during the summer! Thanks everyone :D!
Was this helpful? Yes 0