yconic - Ideal Laptop for University
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ideal Laptop for University

A photo of Cuiter23 Cuiter23
Please share your thoughts on which laptop you guys think would be the best for A first year University student in terms of memory, ram, processor etc etc.

Please post laptop models if you can as well!

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
49 replies

A photo of aimango aimango
Okay here's what it comes down to:
1) battery life
2) good processor/speed for performance and gaming

pick 1 of those 2 because you can ONLY have 1 or the other. Also, please do not get an HP because you'll probably come back here complaining. Lenovo usually provides good battery life and great customer service, ASUS is known to be super reliable and good on the gaming department (depending on model of course).

Dunno a lot about the other brands, SONY is usually overpriced for what it's worth, DELL and TOSHIBA aren't bad picks either.

Or you can go with a MAC, that is if you can afford about $1000 extra for all the same specs a PC has and buying all your extra software & issues with most PC games.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
Anything by Lenovo is usually a good choice given their reliability. And like aimango do NOT buy an HP. I used to have one, and I didn't have a great time with it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
i just picked up the new dell inspiron and it's pretty wicked. 6gig ram, i5 sandy bridge processor, 500gig 7200 rpm hard drive, bluetooth, graphics card is meh. for $700 tax and shipping included, i think the sale ended, so it's probs back at 1000.

i'd recommend a couple of things if you're buying a laptop:

buy one with a sandy bridge processor. you'll have this laptop for years to come. don't start behind the curve.

get at least 500gig of memory, or invest in an external hard drive

4 gigs of ram minimum, if you plan on gaming, you'll need more.

heres the thing about graphics cards, if you game, GET A GOOD ONE, if you don't, DONT GET A GOOD ONE. it eats away at your battery life. i personally opted for the cheapest one, so i could have a longer battery life because i don't game.

screen resolution... most laptops say they are "720p" which means they have 1300x700 resolution. ITS HORRIBLE. i have to resize everything on my screen and make everything super small for me to fit everything. definitely get one with a larger resolution.

honestly, spend the extra couple hundred bucks for a slightly better laptop. nothing is worse than being mad at your computer for the next 3 years because it crawls like a snail.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yaroslav64 Yaroslav64

@chatmike wrote
i just picked up the new dell inspiron and it's pretty wicked. 6gig ram, i5 sandy bridge processor, 500gig 7200 rpm hard drive, bluetooth, graphics card is meh. for $700 tax and shipping included, i think the sale ended, so it's probs back at 1000.

i'd recommend a couple of things if you're buying a laptop:

buy one with a sandy bridge processor. you'll have this laptop for years to come. don't start behind the curve.

get at least 500gig of memory, or invest in an external hard drive

4 gigs of ram minimum, if you plan on gaming, you'll need more.

heres the thing about graphics cards, if you game, GET A GOOD ONE, if you don't, DONT GET A GOOD ONE. it eats away at your battery life. i personally opted for the cheapest one, so i could have a longer battery life because i don't game.

screen resolution... most laptops say they are "720p" which means they have 1300x700 resolution. ITS HORRIBLE. i have to resize everything on my screen and make everything super small for me to fit everything. definitely get one with a larger resolution.

honestly, spend the extra couple hundred bucks for a slightly better laptop. nothing is worse than being mad at your computer for the next 3 years because it crawls like a snail.

Sandy Bridge, yes. That thing competes with some of the top end processors out there yet its priced at mid to low range. Unbelievable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Yaroslav64 wrote

Sandy Bridge, yes. That thing competes with some of the top end processors out there yet its priced at mid to low range. Unbelievable.

Yep. Mine goes faster than my friends Mac counterpart and it costed half of the price XD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for the replies guys!

I was looking into the alienware lineup that dell offers. The computers look sooo sick. Im thinking about either the m11x or the m15x.

The thing is the m11x is too small and the m15x is on the pricier side.....

What should i do?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

ugh, dont get an alienware, its in the same category as a Mac. you're buying the brand. you can get the same specs on a different computer for half the price.

if you're really adamant though check to see if the m11 has an hdmi port, you can always use an external monitor in your dorm, and the small size is perfect for going class to class.

i'm using a 14 right now, and i could do with it being smaller. all preference really.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Inspiron is a nice cheap labtop imo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jessicadonnan jessicadonnan
What laptop is best out of these 5 i get to pick one

http://www.tyendcomputers.com/notebook.cfm

any help would be apprechiated :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jessicadonnan wrote

i'd choose the lifebook
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@chatmike wrote

@jessicadonnan wrote

i'd choose the lifebook

Thanks and what would be the second choice just in case
Was this helpful? Yes 0

i guess the 15.6inch asus.

do you have to buy from that website? you can probably find better deals elsewhere.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@chatmike wrote

do you have to buy from that website? you can probably find better deals elsewhere.

i dont have to but its on a reservation so there is no tax and microsoft office is included with it ,but if i bought from future shop or best buy is that a better idea?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jessicadonnan wrote

@chatmike wrote

i dont have to but its on a reservation so there is no tax and microsoft office is included with it ,but if i bought from future shop or best buy is that a better idea?

hmm, fair enough

i'd check the websites of those stores. and costco, costco usually has well priced laptops. look for laptops with similar specs as the one you found on that website. could you also buy them online? you might find something better from online stores. like dells website, or lenovo
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AsianFail93 AsianFail93
1) Find a laptop (NCIX.com has a large selection)
2) Google for reviews
3) Goto shopbot.ca or pricecanada.com to find lowest price
4) Go to NCIX and add the item to cart -> select pricematch -> follow instructions
5) :D

So yeah, thats what I would do. Might want to list a price range for your laptop. Several laptops i've looked at for friends include the samsung qx411 (best buy), asus K53E (ncix)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
Just bought a Dell Latitude - E6520. 4GB ram, 320gb hd, i7 processor, built in webcam, 15.6" anti-glare. Should do much better than the broken batter 1gb ram, 100gb hd piece of crap I have right now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@jessicadonnan wrote

Ever heard of torrents?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zion wrote

@jessicadonnan wrote

Ever heard of torrents?

I have no idea what torrents is
I am the worst when it comes to computers, is torrents a store or part of a computer?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sweeperkeeper sweeperkeeper
Jessica, Don't be in a rush - I just finished my first year at Queen's Nursing - you can get awesome deals at the Campus Computer store at Queen's - they will mail you out a flyer in July or you can see it online too.. The advantage is if anything goes wrong and you bought it from them you take it to Stauffer Library and they will fix it for you and if it takes longer then a few days they will let you have a replacement to get you through your classes until its fixed. I had a friend who got screwed by Future Shop in that she had to take the bus to their store and they shipped out her laptop and she got no loner laptop. Alot of students by from the Campus store - they have great specials (including all the Mac stuff with the free Ipods that come out in the summer....) THey will even ship your laptop to your house for free....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@sweeperkeeper wrote
Jessica, Don't be in a rush - I just finished my first year at Queen's Nursing - you can get awesome deals at the Campus Computer store at Queen's - they will mail you out a flyer in July or you can see it online too.. The advantage is if anything goes wrong and you bought it from them you take it to Stauffer Library and they will fix it for you and if it takes longer then a few days they will let you have a replacement to get you through your classes until its fixed. I had a friend who got screwed by Future Shop in that she had to take the bus to their store and they shipped out her laptop and she got no loner laptop. Alot of students by from the Campus store - they have great specials (including all the Mac stuff with the free Ipods that come out in the summer....) THey will even ship your laptop to your house for free....

Wonder if they have laptop stores in other Unis in Canada...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@jessicadonnan wrote

@Zion wrote

@jessicadonnan wrote

Ever heard of torrents?

I am the worst when it comes to computers, is torrents a store or part of a computer?

Torrents are a file type. I was indicating that you could just download Microsoft Office for free from a torrent site, such as PirateBay.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@Cuiter23 wrote

@sweeperkeeper wrote

there definitely are but usually it's better to get it somewhere else cause it's still somewhat overpriced @ school. try tiger direct for the best deals. its online but theyll do shipping of course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@sweeperkeeper wrote

that sounds like a pretty good idea maybe i should wait because im likely to breaka laptop by clicking on a virus or something :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zion wrote

@jessicadonnan wrote

@Zion wrote

@jessicadonnan wrote

Ever heard of torrents?

Torrents are a file type. I was indicating that you could just download Microsoft Office for free from a torrent site, such as PirateBay.

is that illegal though?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17

@Cuiter23 wrote

@sweeperkeeper wrote

They have the same thing at Western.
Was this helpful? Yes 0