yconic - IDEAS FOR BACK UP PLANS?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

IDEAS FOR BACK UP PLANS?

A photo of KOBEstyll KOBEstyll
like most people in this health/med forum, I want to pursue medicine as well, but its more wise if I dont no head on bc its such a competitive program.

so i was wondering if anyone can give me advice on back up plans if i dont make med school even after the third try :S

I know theres dentistry but its just as hard as med school, theres optometry, physio, kinese and stuff. However I DONT WANT TO DO research or lab work or teaching.. so other than the ones ive listed, is there any other profession for back up that pays good salary and working conditions??
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of hippoo hippoo
There are so many other health professions out there.
Just off the top of my head, the most common health service professions (and uncoincidentally also pay decently) include occupational therapy, dietetics, physiotherapy, pharmacy, nursing and social work. More common now are also public health officers and health administrators -- these are likely more office jobs but deal with health on a population basis.

No matter what profession you end up in, it will take hard work as it is getting tougher to enter these types of professions. But that's only because they are rewarding in the end!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Reality Reality

@KOBEstyll wrote
like most people in this health/med forum, I want to pursue medicine as well, but its more wise if I dont no head on bc its such a competitive program.

so i was wondering if anyone can give me advice on back up plans if i dont make med school even after the third try :S

I know theres dentistry but its just as hard as med school, theres optometry, physio, kinese and stuff. However I DONT WANT TO DO research or lab work or teaching.. so other than the ones ive listed, is there any other profession for back up that pays good salary and working conditions??

Judging by your username, I would suggest to take your talents to South Beach.

I hear LBJ needs a 4th man.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheLaw TheLaw

@hippoo wrote
There are so many other health professions out there.
Just off the top of my head, the most common health service professions (and uncoincidentally also pay decently) include occupational therapy, dietetics, physiotherapy, pharmacy, nursing and social work. More common now are also public health officers and health administrators -- these are likely more office jobs but deal with health on a population basis.

No matter what profession you end up in, it will take hard work as it is getting tougher to enter these types of professions. But that's only because they are rewarding in the end!

plus you can apply to med schools in the US, which kinda expensive. If that fails you can try caribbean, ireland, england, hungary, ...
you can get ur med degree in another country, pass a test and practice in canada.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WendyLai WendyLai
occupational therapy?
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EdwardL EdwardL
what is a competitive mark to get into med school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
have you ever considered nursing?
i know a lot of people who are taking it for that reason... you can go to med school with it, but if you don't get into med school you have that at least and could go back for your NP.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of neuropsy neuropsy

@EdwardL wrote
what is a competitive mark to get into med school?

Definitely 3.7 + to be considered
A 3.85 and higher would be a good aim in terms of competitiveness
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
Here's what the Mac brochure claims are possible avenues of career-paths:

- bioethics graduate school (?)
- business
- chiropractic college
- clinical psychology graduate school
- dentistry
- international health graduate school
- law
- medical sciences graduate school
- medicine
- md/phd program
- midwifery
- naturopathic medicine
- pharmacy
- occupational therapy/physiotherapy
- speech pathology
- teacher's college
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
^ To add onto onlymatthew's list, I am taking a bioethics course (health sci elective) this semester and my prof acts as a consultant for health care professionals. Basically she sits in on meetings where surgeons are discussing an issue (eg. taking a patient off life support) and guides them towards making not only a legally right decision but an ethical one. Just to clarify what a PhD in bioethics might entail.

Was this helpful? Yes 0