yconic - Ideas/Help/Tips with Extra Curriculars?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ideas/Help/Tips with Extra Curriculars?

A photo of ManUtd123 ManUtd123
Hey guys, im going into Grade 12 this September and I have terrible ECs. I will most likely join the Grade 12 Soccer Team, possibly join an Indoor Soccer League, I have some job experience, I once volunteered for this ScotiaBank event where I helped out little kids, and I have some church volunteer hours -- that's about it.

I know these ECs are really bad and I'm wondering if you guys could give me an idea of what to accomplish my final year? Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK
Take anything you like and get involved in that field. Your application will need to show leadership abilities rather than a certain club or organization. Take charge. Lead a group of students. If there is no club of your interest at your school, start one. Basically show that you can be a leader. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MINTOK wrote
Take anything you like and get involved in that field. Your application will need to show leadership abilities rather than a certain club or organization. Take charge. Lead a group of students. If there is no club of your interest at your school, start one. Basically show that you can be a leader. :)

Hmm... that's going to be tough, ahahha. I see, in your signature, that you are a Schulich student. If I maintain a 93 average with those ECs mentioned, would I be guaranteed entry, added that I give a decent-to-good essay?

Thanks for the response. Are there any competitions or things that top bschools specifically look for.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@ManUtd123 wrote

@MINTOK wrote

Hmm... that's going to be tough, ahahha. I see, in your signature, that you are a Schulich student. If I maintain a 93 average with those ECs mentioned, would I be guaranteed entry, added that I give a decent-to-good essay?

Thanks for the response. Are there any competitions or things that top bschools specifically look for.

I can't say that anything in life is guaranteed. You would have a good chance, but nothing is for sure. I would recommend to get involved more at your school. Find 2 more clubs that you like and become an executive for them. It's also about how you sell your experience in your supplementary application, not just about the experience itself.

There isn't anything specific that they look for (except for Waterloo which requires you to participate in its competition). You just have to show that you're a well-rounded student with leadership potential. These qualities can be demonstrated at your school, church, work, community, whatever.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
Here is something that I have posted in the past:

@g93 wrote
I'm not going to claim to be an expert. However, I have had a fairly good degree of success with applications and such, so here are a few things to keep in mind that I have been told or are common sense, or are inferences I have made:

1) Don't stretch things too far - honour roll is good and all, but chances are everyone in your program was on honour roll too. It doesn't make you a God. If you volunteered and ran a fundraiser benefiting impoverished children in Africa, and raised $5000, end it there. You didn't solve world hunger. it's great what you did, but you're no Mother Theresa.

2) Tangible results - this applies to work experience, volunteerism and extra curriculars more. It's cool that you worked at McDonald's and were "a dedicated, reliable employee" and provided "excellent customer satisfaction", but it is better to say "improved efficiency of drive-thru by 22%" (note this is a crappy example and might not work totally well with McDonald's)

3) Relate - what are you applying for? Try and relate your accomplishment to what you are applying for. This isn't always possible (eg. if you just have to list your awards) but if there is a spot to explain or if it is an interview, then do it. If you are applying for a job as a landscaper, and you are a top-ranked triathlete, you could say that you have great endurance, are able to work well in heat, are physically fit, and work very hard. But if you merely say you are a triathlete that is really good, the interviewer is going to have to make those connections on their own. You don't want to rely on them doing so.

4) Size of competition - as ktel mentioned, this lends to the general importance of the accomplishment. This could work for you and against you, so be careful when you include it. If you are the top scorer on the Euclid Contest, you might want to say that you were first of however many thousand competitors. But if you just won an award for having the highest mark in some class, let's say Business Leadership, and there is only 16 people in your class, it might be better to leave that out (unless they ask for it, then be honest)

5) Be Honest - don't lie about things. There could be severe consequences if you lie about your ECs (stories of people getting kicked out of university, for example). Going along with # 1 as well, don't say you were the top in your school if you were recognized as being top 5% or something. Unless you were actually awarded it, don't claim it.

Going with what MINTOK said, find something you enjoy and do something with it. They want leadership qualities to be demonstrated. So lead, take charge!

These top schools are looking for people who can make an impact at their school. You have to figure out what it is they want, and you have to tell them how you are the right guy for the job.

As for getting into Schulich, you will have a very good shot with a 93. Schulich claims they pay equal attention to marks and ECs but it seemed that everyone with an average of 92/93 and over got in. Pretty well anything over 91 was good, and people lower usually didn't get in even with great ECs. Try to boost your average and find some good EC activity. It will only help you in the future.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
Try and take on some sort of leadership position at your school. Also look at coaching youth soccer, thats great leadership experience as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@ManUtd123 wrote
If I maintain a 93 average with those ECs mentioned, would I be guaranteed entry, added that I give a decent-to-good essay?

A 93 should get you into Schulich, although nothing is guaranteed.

Queen's and Ivey you'll need decent EC's even with that average. And good essays. People with 95s have been rejected due to either poor EC's and/or poor essays.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks everyone for the responses! So I'm guessing top b-schools are, generally, looking for leadership qualities within a students ECs. I have another question: I'm kind of finally getting involved with the school during Grade 12. Would the lack of comittment impact me in anyway?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ManUtd123 wrote
Thanks everyone for the responses! So I'm guessing top b-schools are, generally, looking for leadership qualities within a students ECs. I have another question: I'm kind of finally getting involved with the school during Grade 12. Would the lack of comittment impact me in anyway?

They shouldn't no. Obviously someone who did the same club as you for 4 years is a bit better off, but what you're doing is great and it is what it is.

Some b-schools don't care. For example, McGill, Schulich, Laurier. With them, if you make the cut-off, you're in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote

@ManUtd123 wrote

They shouldn't no. Obviously someone who did the same club as you for 4 years is a bit better off, but what you're doing is great and it is what it is.

Some b-schools don't care. For example, McGill, Schulich, Laurier. With them, if you make the cut-off, you're in.

The cut-off for Schulich is 91. What are the cut-offs for Laurier and Mcgill? Which university, in your opinion, is best for finance oppurtunities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

McGill I believe was a 92 or a 93 this year. Laurier is 86 I think (a bit lower you can do a supplementary essay to try to get in).

For finance, #1 would be Ivey because they place better in the States (and Canada) than #2. #2 would be Queen's.

Out of those 3, I'd say Schulich, McGill, Laurier. I'm not 100% certain though on how these 3 place though :/. I do know that Laurier has an underrated finance stream.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@ManUtd123 wrote

I had no ECs/community involvement until grade 12, but I turned out fine. Don't worry. Just get involved with clubs that you like and get 3-4 executive positions. If you have a part time job, get 2-3 executive positions and you should be good.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@ManUtd123 wrote
The cut-off for Schulich is 91. What are the cut-offs for Laurier and Mcgill? Which university, in your opinion, is best for finance oppurtunities.

Cut off for McGill is in the low 90s as well. Finance is broad. If you're looking at iBanking, Ivery is #1, Queens is #2 and all the other schools are about the same with Schulich, Rotman and McGill being preferred for their reputation. If you're looking at other areas of finance such as investment advising or portfolio management, Schulich, Queens, Ivey, Rotman, McGill are about the same. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MINTOK wrote

@ManUtd123 wrote

I had no ECs/community involvement until grade 12, but I turned out fine. Don't worry. Just get involved with clubs that you like and get 3-4 executive positions. If you have a part time job, get 2-3 executive positions and you should be good.

Thanks for the responses! 3-4 executive positions? Dang, I'm quite clueless from where to start. Do you have any ideas of some executive positions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
While I didn't go into business, here is what I would be doing in your situation:

1) Creating is better than maintaining. Start something new. Exec is nice, but it's not the end all be all.
2)Anything managing money would be a plus.
3) Working with other people in a team is a good way to get a lot done, and it's easier than doing it on your own.

So, here are a few ideas.

Do a fundraiser for a cause you believe in. The best kinds of fundraisers in highschool are those in which students get something in return for their donation. A great idea would be organizing a talent show. You can work with AV students, you can charge admission/ food/ drinks and raise money, plus students will want to attend to see their friends perform.

If you believe in cancer research, maybe try hosting the Relay for Life. It's a huge committment, don't get me wrong, but it can be very rewarding as well. I was on the organizing committee for this event at my university, and it was our first year ever hosting it. We raised over $50000.

Otherwise, you could also start a intramural league at your school. Inspring people to have school spirit shows that you can influence large groups of people, which is a plus in business.

Starting a club is also a pretty easy process. Just ask a teacher to sponsor you, get a few members and voila. This could be anything.
Was this helpful? Yes 0