yconic - IF YOU GOT ACCEPTED TO WATERLOO OR UOFT HELP YOUR BROTHER OUT
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

IF YOU GOT ACCEPTED TO WATERLOO OR UOFT HELP YOUR BROTHER OUT

A photo of lalalogi lalalogi
The title introduces the case;
im in grade 11, going to grade 12 this september,
and my god, reading through these forums about admissions just made me cry.
i want to apply for UofT engsci and Waterloo EE, Mechatronics, and Mechanical but looking at the marks in the forum, i feel like an incompetitive junk. i took couple of grade 12 courses in my grade 11 year, and here are marks so far,

adv func: 90
calc: 94
data: 98
physics: 88
chemistry: (grade 11) 90
english: (grade 11) 85

my ecs are okay, 300+ volunteer hours, leader of 2 clubs, various awards in debate teams, and etc. all the usual stuff.

my marks are decent in my opinion, but holy crap im shatting my pants reading how ppl with 95+ avgs have been rejected from these programs... only thing that relieves me is the fact that i come from a reputable school with very respected science and math backgrounds. my school always scores within the highest range for SIN contest, all sorts of math contests and bio contests, and literally, there was one year where waterloo's comp sci/soft eng admitted every student who applied from my school. (about 65, it was all over our school newspaper). im sure if you go to waterloo you've probably heard of our school because many profs and current students are from here. yeah i know, i sound like a cocky baaastard but what can i do, its my school, not me. anyways,

[size=7]WHAT THE FACK IS MY CHANCE, WHY DO I FEEL LIKE AN IMBECILE IN THIS FORUM? WHYS EVERYONE SO SMART YET IS REJECTED FROM THESE PROGRAMS? SHARE YOUR MARKS AND ADMISSION RANGES PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I THINK IM GONNA PUKE.[/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of x711Li x711Li

@lalalogi wrote
i want to apply for UofT engsci and Waterloo EE, Mechatronics, and Mechanical but looking at the marks in the forum, i feel like an incompetitive junk. i took couple of grade 12 courses in my grade 11 year, and here are marks so far,

my ecs are okay, 300+ volunteer hours, leader of 2 clubs, various awards in debate teams, and etc. all the usual stuff.

my marks are decent in my opinion, but holy crap im shatting my pants reading how ppl with 95+ avgs have been rejected from these programs... only thing that relieves me is the fact that i come from a reputable school with very respected science and math backgrounds. my school always scores within the highest range for SIN contest, all sorts of math contests and bio contests, and literally, there was one year where waterloo's comp sci/soft eng admitted every student who applied from my school. (about 65, it was all over our school newspaper). im sure if you go to waterloo you've probably heard of our school because many profs and current students are from here. yeah i know, i sound like a cocky baaastard but what can i do, its my school, not me. anyways,

[size=7]WHAT THE FACK IS MY CHANCE, WHY DO I FEEL LIKE AN IMBECILE IN THIS FORUM? WHYS EVERYONE SO SMART YET IS REJECTED FROM THESE PROGRAMS? SHARE YOUR MARKS AND ADMISSION RANGES PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Your ECs sound similar to mine, but work experience is always nice to add on as well. Just watch out for English next year, and as long as your cumulative average amongst all the other courses exceeds a high 80's average, you'll be fine. EngSci is an exception, but again, your current trend so far looks fine. If anything, your average should just increase at this point.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Waterloo seems to put an emphasis on the school you come from, so that could work in your favor. Besides, your marks are great. You're sitting at a 92.5% average with your 4 grade 12 courses. That's a great average for almost any engineering program. Your ECs are decent too, so you're good for a program with a supplementary application. Now I doubt you wouldn't get into at least one of the programs you're interested in, but if you didn't, there are TONS of reputable engineering programs that you could get into with those grades.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of adv4ntag3 adv4ntag3

@ktel wrote
Waterloo seems to put an emphasis on the school you come from, so that could work in your favor. Besides, your marks are great. You're sitting at a 92.5% average with your 4 grade 12 courses. That's a great average for almost any engineering program. Your ECs are decent too, so you're good for a program with a supplementary application. Now I doubt you wouldn't get into at least one of the programs you're interested in, but if you didn't, there are TONS of reputable engineering programs that you could get into with those grades.

I agree...if ur school is on good terms with waterloo, an average above 90 with good EC's is like, guaranteed a spot...not too sure about uoft, but theyre typically more lenient with first year acceptances so they can take ur money right away
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@lalalogi wrote

Bro.

#1: You're on the internet. Don't let these people make you feel inadequate. Plenty of them probably lie/inflate their marks. Do you have copies of their transcripts with official seals? No? Then you have no idea if they were exaggerating or not. Your marks are quite good, as are your extracurriculars, and I'm sure you have a very good chance of getting in to *all* of the programs you want.

#2: If you want to increase your chances of acceptance, apply early. Since you have a bunch of grade 12 courses already, and your marks are quite respectable, it can only work in your favor.

#3: Take a deep breath, work a little on your self confidence, and tell yourself slowly "I can do this." Then--and this is the key step--git 'r dun! I have confidence in you, and I'm sure you will too with time. There's room for you to mature plenty, there's room for you to improve plenty, but you're not in a terrible spot. Do your best and don't look back!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@greygoose wrote

#1: You're on the internet. Don't let these people make you feel inadequate. Plenty of them probably lie/inflate their marks. Do you have copies of their transcripts with official seals? No? Then you have no idea if they were exaggerating or not. Your marks are quite good, as are your extracurriculars, and I'm sure you have a very good chance of getting in to *all* of the programs you want.

Why would they lie to random people on an internet forum? It's more likely that this forum just attracts a large number of over achievers, so no wonder their marks are all very high
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
That is not a couple of courses. That's SIX...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vel vel
Chill, it looks like you have decent grades and your marks are above to CUDO cutoff so I'm fairly sure you'll get in. Don't spasm, enjoy senior year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JustWatchedCanucksFail JustWatchedCanucksFail

@lalalogi wrote

[/size]

These three marks could be better. English mark shouldn't matter too much, but also a bit on the low side (especially for Engsci). ECs sound fine. So overall just make sure to get your physics mark up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0