yconic - If your parents won't help pay for tuition and refuse to support?...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

If your parents won't help pay for tuition and refuse to support?...

A photo of Stranger Stranger
I want to go to Waterloo for CS (co-op), but I don't know if my parents will help pay for tuition. If I consider residence, food, plus other necessities, it will cost me approx. $115,000 over five years.
Assuming I make $50,000 through co-op, I'm still looking at $65,000.

How much does OSAP usually lend out? What if they won't lend me much since my parents make okay money?

What if my parents kick me out onto the streets right after I graduate high school?
Where do you go? What do you do?

Obviously I'll need a place to stay before I can get a job...

I'm really worried...

Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats
That's pretty harsh...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX
I'm on the same boat as you do, applied for CS co-op at UW as well.

However that my dad is in and out of works, and I haven't seen my mom for like..6 years..so I have to pay it all by myself anyway.

I applied for some scholarships as well, hope you did too.

Man, life sucks.......it is never gonna get better. Oh well, at least for me.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@blurX wrote

However that my dad is in and out of works, and I haven't seen my mom for like..6 years..so I have to pay it all by myself anyway.

Yeah, I applied for some scholarships too.

I'm from a dysfunctional/abusive family so I want to get away from them, but it's not like I can really support myself either. I think my parents would pay for me if I went to UofT instead since it would be less expensive, but I really don't want to live with them. Be kicked out or stay with a dysfunctional family that makes you miserable? What great options...

I hope everything works out for us.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Doorhandle Doorhandle

@Stranger wrote

@blurX wrote

Yeah, I applied for some scholarships too.

I'm from a dysfunctional/abusive family so I want to get away from them, but it's not like I can really support myself either. I think my parents would pay for me if I went to UofT instead since it would be less expensive, but I really don't want to live with them. Be kicked out or stay with a dysfunctional family that makes you miserable? What great options...

I hope everything works out for us.

You know, there is such a thing as child protection services.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lisawasylyniuk lisawasylyniuk
OSAP will asses how much money will be given to you according to how much your parents earn income wise. If your parents refuse to support you and you do not live with them (if they kick you out) then that needs to be brought up with OSAP. If your parents are planning on kicking you out of the house right after high school check with your local financial assistance programs to help you. If you are really concern with getting to this particular college/university then get good grades now and earn a scholarship to help you with the financial troubles that might happen. Also talk to your advisors/councilors at school they know all the answers in detail and will guide you, have goals and have support and then the rest is easy. Good Luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX

@Doorhandle wrote

It is really easy for you to say that isn't it? Where is he gonna live if some lawsuits are involved in his family? They are his parents nonetheless.

The way you see his situation is your point of view and it might be logical from your perspective but you don't know how he sees the situation from his point of view. Nobody can see it. You could give him thousands of logical reasons to get the child protection services involved, but how would you feel if you are him in his situation?

Sorry for the rant, it is just making me sick how people are just judge things on the surface.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@blurX wrote

@Doorhandle wrote

It is really easy for you to say that isn't it? Where is he gonna live if some lawsuits are involved in his family? They are his parents nonetheless.

The way you see his situation is your point of view and it might be logical from your perspective but you don't know how he sees the situation from his point of view. Nobody can see it. You could give him thousands of logical reasons to get the child protection services involved, but how would you feel if you are him in his situation?

Sorry for the rant, it is just making me sick how people are just judge things on the surface.

Thanks for the suggestion Doorhandle, but yeah, I'm with blurX here...
I'm actually quite terrified to get them involved in case they make things more complicated or worse.

I'm a she btw, heh..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX

@Stranger wrote

I'm a she btw, heh..

wow..sorry lol..due to the ratio of male/female in the CS field, I automatically assumed that most people who are into CS are guys..there were literally no girl in our ICS4U class..

Cheer for girls who apply for CS!!!YAH!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
If you're parents aren't going to help you, do some legal work so OSAP assesses you as independent and they'll give you enough money. If all else fails, there are still student bank loans and other sorts of financial aid. You don't need to worry, just contact Waterloo's financial aid center and ask about your options.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Doorhandle Doorhandle

@Stranger wrote

@blurX wrote

@Doorhandle wrote

Thanks for the suggestion Doorhandle, but yeah, I'm with blurX here...
I'm actually quite terrified to get them involved in case they make things more complicated or worse.

I'm a she btw, heh..

This may sound totally ignorant and stupid, but Im gonna say it anyways because I have no idea how it is going to be perceived (and I am only trying to help). Here is the way I see it: if your parents are going to kick you out anyway, why not get a lawsuit and compensation out of it? One of my brother's closest friends lived in a group home (not like an orphanage or anything, just a place where ~10 teens lived with an adult) for all of highschool and did not end up having that many problems, it just takes some time to adjust. You would not even be there for long if you are moving out to university anyway. It may be a hard thing to do but it doesnt seem like staying with your abusive family is doing you any good. There are better people out there for you. Sorry if this sounds offensive, ignorant, stupid, etc etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@blurX wrote

wow..sorry lol..due to the ratio of male/female in the CS field, I automatically assumed that most people who are into CS are guys..there were literally no girl in our ICS4U class..

Cheer for girls who apply for CS!!!YAH!

Lol, no problem. :P The ICS4U at my school was canceled this year due to a lack of interest.

@Doorhandle wrote

This may sound totally ignorant and stupid, but Im gonna say it anyways because I have no idea how it is going to be perceived (and I am only trying to help). Here is the way I see it: if your parents are going to kick you out anyway, why not get a lawsuit and compensation out of it? One of my brother's closest friends lived in a group home (not like an orphanage or anything, just a place where ~10 teens lived with an adult) for all of highschool and did not end up having that many problems, it just takes some time to adjust. You would not even be there for long if you are moving out to university anyway. It may be a hard thing to do but it doesnt seem like staying with your abusive family is doing you any good. There are better people out there for you. Sorry if this sounds offensive, ignorant, stupid, etc etc.

Aw, thanks for trying to help. :)
I think I will just stay with my family for now since I only have a few more months left of school anyways.
I'm not sure if they'll help pay for UW yet or kick me out, so taking some kind of legal action might make things worse.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx

@Stranger wrote
I want to go to Waterloo for CS (co-op), but I don't know if my parents will help pay for tuition. If I consider residence, food, plus other necessities, it will cost me approx. $115,000 over five years.
Assuming I make $50,000 through co-op, I'm still looking at $65,000.

How much does OSAP usually lend out? What if they won't lend me much since my parents make okay money?

What if my parents kick me out onto the streets right after I graduate high school?
Where do you go? What do you do?

Obviously I'll need a place to stay before I can get a job...

I'm really worried...

Then you do what about 50% of students do. Pay for it yourself. You can get student loans. Save as much money as you can.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meridian Meridian
Stranger, your calculations are too high. Yes it takes 5 years because you are rotating school-work-school every 4 months. You are still only at school for eight 4 month terms.

Waterloo CS costs are ~ $5500 tuition+books + $4500 rez+food = $10K per term. You should be able to do rent+food for about $3500 if you are frugal and off campus, so lets say $9K total per term. $9K x 8 = $72K total School costs.

If you are successful at getting a co-op job for all 6 work terms (CS should be good), you should be able to cover your work term living costs and save $5K towards the next school term ($5Kx6=$30K).

So you need to come up with about $42K total going into University.

OSAP will give you up to $11.9K per year. If you sign forms that show you no longer have any parental support, you can reach near that and half of it could be grant. That would leave you with maybe $20K in total loan left to pay at the end.

If you have +90% you can qualify for atleast $2K Entrance scholarships. You could also apply and achieve other awards or bursaries for need.

You can work a little bit of part time work during school term which is good for another $1.5K extra per term.

You can do this...

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks Meridian. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0