yconic - I'm a bit confused...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

I'm a bit confused...

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz
Is this the "Business" section, or the "Schulich" section? If someone could direct me to the place where non-Schulich discussions take place that would be great...
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of redherring redherring
I guess their marketing department has been doing a good job?

Every thread seems to be about supplementary applications and such: stupid questions that can be answered by looking at the FAQs on the website or a 2 minute call to admissions. The questions asked by people last year were so much better. I was able to learn a lot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Augustus1 Augustus1
It's because the Schulich application is due in 2 days...if you looked at this forum January 15-17 it was all Ivey Ivey Ivey because it was due on the 18th and people were doing theirs last minute (as they are for Schulich). Now watch it all be Queen's Queen's Queen's February 12-14 for the 15th early decision deadline.

To be honest though I can't judge...I did my Ivey and Schulich ones a few days earlier than the deadline, but Rotman and Trinity were absolutely borderline, and Queen's will probably be the same.

Needless to say I can't wait until May when this whole damn application process is over, regardless of the outcomes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Augustus1 wrote
Needless to say I can't wait until May when this whole damn application process is over, regardless of the outcomes.

My friends in university say that high school (with or without applications) is so much more relaxed and simple than university. They keep saying enjoy it while you still can.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Augustus1 Augustus1

@redherring wrote

@Augustus1 wrote

My friends in university say that high school (with or without applications) is so much more relaxed and simple than university. They keep saying enjoy it while you still can.

That's a cognitive bias because their brain is subconsciously eliminating the bad memories and emphasizing the good ones for them. Even the suffering they remember, it all seems "worthwhile" in the end if they achieved whatever goal they did. However at this point none of us know if we will get into whatever school we want to, etc. I'm sure if I got the offer of my dreams all the hard work before would vanish into immateriality, but it's a lot different when you're in the actual situation. Same way some adults idealize their childhood/teen years, and frustrated married people only remember the good parts of being a bachelor, it's cognitive bias. Not that that's a bad thing, after all humans need coping mechanisms.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Augustus1 wrote

@redherring wrote

@Augustus1 wrote

That's a cognitive bias because their brain is subconsciously eliminating the bad memories and emphasizing the good ones for them. Even the suffering they remember, it all seems "worthwhile" in the end if they achieved whatever goal they did. However at this point none of us know if we will get into whatever school we want to, etc. I'm sure if I got the offer of my dreams all the hard work before would vanish into immateriality, but it's a lot different when you're in the actual situation. Same way some adults idealize their childhood/teen years, and frustrated married people only remember the good parts of being a bachelor, it's cognitive bias. Not that that's a bad thing, after all humans need coping mechanisms.

Applications aren't really that hard. You put a day's work into each and you're done (some maybe spread over a week or so). School doesn't last very long and there isn't much homework.

My friend had 5 hours of class last year with high school (minus his one spare) and did 1-2 hours of homework a day, give or take. A few extra hours for the odd project or university applications, and the rest devoted to ECs, sleep and leisure.

Now in engineering he has over 6 hours of class per day, and 4-5 hours of homework per day. Add in studying for intense exams, lab reports, and now co-op jobs, and it can often be more. He still tries to devote some time to ECs. That leaves awfully little time for sleep and leisure. Since sleep is fairly important, the leisure usually gets sacrificed first.

One of the biggest changes I'm told is the care-free level. High school you go to school, you come home. The teachers tell you what to do and when to do it, your parents tell you what to do and what to do better. In university, you're on your own, no one tells you what to do, the work never ends and your free time is diminished. You might not be worrying about getting into the right program, but you do have to worry about impending midterms where the class average is 40%, doing laundry or making meals do you can live normally, and getting good co-op jobs, among others.

Not really this cognitive bias imo. Maybe plays a small part, but not really.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of viii viii
I'm finding university to be a much more enjoyable experience than high school. I get to do what I love, and am surrounded by people who share common interests with me more so than in high school.

The amount of time that you spend working is more than what you did in high school, but it's much more interesting because you do work related to your interest, not something that you're forced to do for the sake of acquiring the necessary credits. I mostly love doing anything that's related to the field of business, and don't even consider it to be much work. I'd be learning about it anyway even if I wasn't studying it at university. I could never get that feeling from Chemistry or Biology.

If there was one thing I loved from day one, it was the freedom that university granted me. You don't get spoon-fed by teachers any more. If you want to do the assigned work you do it, and you're not forced to complete it for the next day for homework completion marks or whatnot. You have the freedom to space out your own schedule as you please. There's no need to pointlessly go to school for ~7 hours in order for your teacher to check off your attendance and teach you what you easily could have taught yourself in half the time at home. This freedom allows you to learn more about yourself than ever before, and is a taste of the real world.

University isn't bad as long as you enjoy what you do and surround yourself with like-minded people who motivate you to learn. The work never ends anywhere, but as long as you have a passion for what you do, it's never really work.

Don't worry about university being so much more overwhelming than high school. You guys will adjust to it just fine, trust me. University can be a ton of work, but you get to meet a lot of people, have new experiences, and have a lot of fun :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33
It's stupid because people are making useless threads for single questions or merely to celebrate that they submitted their apps, when they could all be accumulated into ONE thread, just like in the previous years. I clearly saw a Schulich discussion thread but people still just make their own thread, probably for more attention, idk LOL. Honestly, it's more effective and convenient to put everything into one thread. Creates a better sense of community too. I attempted to make one for Queen's, like the previous years too. Making one thread will be a great resource for the future SAers too :)

Just my $0.02 :batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@redherring wrote

@Augustus1 wrote

This is what the stupid kids say.

@redherring wrote

Every thread seems to be about supplementary applications and such: stupid questions that can be answered by looking at the FAQs on the website or a 2 minute call to admissions. The questions asked by people last year were so much better. I was able to learn a lot.

If anything their marketing department has done a terrible job if people don't know where to find such basic information.

@redherring wrote

@Augustus1 wrote

@redherring wrote

@Augustus1 wrote

Applications aren't really that hard. You put a day's work into each and you're done (some maybe spread over a week or so). School doesn't last very long and there isn't much homework.

My friend had 5 hours of class last year with high school (minus his one spare) and did 1-2 hours of homework a day, give or take. A few extra hours for the odd project or university applications, and the rest devoted to ECs, sleep and leisure.

Now in engineering he has over 6 hours of class per day, and 4-5 hours of homework per day. Add in studying for intense exams, lab reports, and now co-op jobs, and it can often be more. He still tries to devote some time to ECs. That leaves awfully little time for sleep and leisure. Since sleep is fairly important, the leisure usually gets sacrificed first.

One of the biggest changes I'm told is the care-free level. High school you go to school, you come home. The teachers tell you what to do and when to do it, your parents tell you what to do and what to do better. In university, you're on your own, no one tells you what to do, the work never ends and your free time is diminished. You might not be worrying about getting into the right program, but you do have to worry about impending midterms where the class average is 40%, doing laundry or making meals do you can live normally, and getting good co-op jobs, among others.

I tend to work the same amount of time as Mr. Engineering, but I like what Im doing so its fine.
I'd also like to argue that sleep gets sacrificed first. 5 hours of sleep is more then enough to operate on.

@cliffhanger33 wrote
It's stupid because people are making useless threads for single questions or merely to celebrate that they submitted their apps, when they could all be accumulated into ONE thread, just like in the previous years. I clearly saw a Schulich discussion thread but people still just make their own thread, probably for more attention, idk LOL. Honestly, it's more effective and convenient to put everything into one thread. Creates a better sense of community too. I attempted to make one for Queen's, like the previous years too. Making one thread will be a great resource for the future SAers too :)

This x1000. I tried to tell the one Schulicher that theres 3 other Q&A threads on the first two pages but they just keep going on their merry way.
For better or for worse, having one DD plus a few that just lurk on SA keeps the threads rather consolidated.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Nick0rz wrote

@redherring wrote

@Augustus1 wrote

hy do you say that? Are you saying stupid as in that they're struggling with university? Because they definitely are not (far from it).

@Nick0rz wrote

@redherring wrote

If anything their marketing department has done a terrible job if people don't know where to find such basic information.

guess that's true. I was just referring to there being a lot of applicants (or so it seems).

[quote=Nick0rz]

@redherring wrote

@Augustus1 wrote

@redherring wrote

@Augustus1 wrote

I tend to work the same amount of time as Mr. Engineering, but I like what Im doing so its fine.
I'd also like to argue that sleep gets sacrificed first. 5 hours of sleep is more then enough to operate on.[/QUOTE]
Well he said he sacrifices sleep, but he can't go without it. Like you said, you gotta have around 5. He says he can go with 3-4 hours of sleep (give or take) for a week tops. But normally is around 5 or 6. So that's never gone, just minimized.

@Nick0rz wrote

@cliffhanger33 wrote

This x1000. I tried to tell the one Schulicher that theres 3 other Q&A threads on the first two pages but they just keep going on their merry way.
For better or for worse, having one DD plus a few that just lurk on SA keeps the threads rather consolidated.

Completely agree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of erudite erudite

@Nick0rz wrote

@redherring wrote

Disagree. If anything, its the applicant's fault. Schulich sends out emails about everything you need to know about applying. Even when their email clearly says stuff like
"The Undergraduate Programs Unit is open until 7 pm, Monday to Thursday and until 5:00 pm on Fridays. After office hours, and on weekends, a drop box will be available at the Concierge Desk at the entrance of the Seymour Schulich Building." people still ask when they close and if there is a drop box. SMH

and just for more proof, here's some more things that they state in their emails:
"The final deadline to submit supplementary forms and recommendations is February 8, 2012. This is the deadline for your referees to complete the online form."
"You may submit your Supplementary Information Form in person or by mail. Location and address information is detailed under step 6 of the form. "
"We are offering PRIORITY ASSESSMENT for applicants who submit their supplementary application by February 6th!

Applicants who submit a complete supplementary application to Schulich by February 6th will have their application reviewed early and receive priority consideration" (lol at people thinking that they changed their due date)

Honestly, when people ask questions are already answered in the EMAILS...it makes me think they shouldn't even be going to Schulich at all...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of viii viii

@erudite wrote

@Nick0rz wrote

@redherring wrote

Disagree. If anything, its the applicant's fault. Schulich sends out emails about everything you need to know about applying. Even when their email clearly says stuff like
"The Undergraduate Programs Unit is open until 7 pm, Monday to Thursday and until 5:00 pm on Fridays. After office hours, and on weekends, a drop box will be available at the Concierge Desk at the entrance of the Seymour Schulich Building." people still ask when they close and if there is a drop box. SMH

and just for more proof, here's some more things that they state in their emails:
"The final deadline to submit supplementary forms and recommendations is February 8, 2012. This is the deadline for your referees to complete the online form."
"You may submit your Supplementary Information Form in person or by mail. Location and address information is detailed under step 6 of the form. "
"We are offering PRIORITY ASSESSMENT for applicants who submit their supplementary application by February 6th!

Applicants who submit a complete supplementary application to Schulich by February 6th will have their application reviewed early and receive priority consideration" (lol at people thinking that they changed their due date)

Honestly, when people ask questions are already answered in the EMAILS...it makes me think they shouldn't even be going to Schulich at all...

Agreed.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@erudite wrote
blah blah blah

In this case the people are probably not intelligent enough to belong in Schulich.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@redherring wrote

@Nick0rz wrote

@redherring wrote

@Augustus1 wrote

hy do you say that? Are you saying stupid as in that they're struggling with university? Because they definitely are not (far from it).

This comment was more in jest then anything else.

Personally I would never want to go back to high school. I love university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0