yconic - I'm an Ivey AEO2. Ask me anything.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

I'm an Ivey AEO2. Ask me anything.

A photo of PurpleMustang PurpleMustang
Hey guys -

I'm currently at Western and I'm an AEO2. If you have any questions about AEO status, Western, or anything else, feel free to ask.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
43 replies

A photo of Ankit Ankit
How hard is it to maintain AEO status? Planning on doing the BMOS program for my first 2 years. I've heard its boring, but is it easy to maintain an 80. IS it true that 1/3 of people actually lose their AEO status after their first 2 years?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Ankit wrote
How hard is it to maintain AEO status? Planning on doing the BMOS program for my first 2 years. I've heard its boring, but is it easy to maintain an 80. IS it true that 1/3 of people actually lose their AEO status after their first 2 years?

I'm not sure of the actual statistic re: how many students lose AEO status after their first two years, but I do know people who did. I have a ton of friends in BMOS and the general consensus is that it is very easy to maintain an 80% in BMOS provided that you work hard (like with every other program). I would certainly rank BMOS near the top of the list for programs that will likely allow you to maintain your AEO status.

I strongly believe that if you have the motivation to do so, you should be able to keep an 80% average. I'd like to stress, though, that you cannot solely focus on school. While grades are important, there is so much other facets to university that is so beneficial to experience. Not only does Ivey require leadership involvement, but I believe that getting involved with university is one of the best things you can do. You should certainly study hard but don't neglect your social life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bieber Bieber
what was your top 6 average going to AEO1? and do you know anyone who took online courses in grade 12 who got AEO status? thank you
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Augustus1 Augustus1
Is a 95+ average guaranteed AEO, granted that essays/ECs were decent?

Also, do you know what will happen to the old building once the new one is fully active? Will some people be in the old one, or does everyone go to the new one?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greatwallpaul greatwallpaul
How hard is it to maintain AEO in MIT?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Bieber wrote
what was your top 6 average going to AEO1? and do you know anyone who took online courses in grade 12 who got AEO status? thank you

My top six from grade twelve was 95.0%.

I don't know anyone who took online courses in grade twelve and got AEO status.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Augustus1 wrote

Also, do you know what will happen to the old building once the new one is fully active? Will some people be in the old one, or does everyone go to the new one?

I had a 95.0% and had fantastic ECs, and I was accepted on the first day of acceptances (March 30th). I am almost certain that you will get an admission with a 95% average and average ECs.

All students will go to the new building. I believe the old building is being used for the Faculty of Music at Western.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@greatwallpaul wrote
How hard is it to maintain AEO in MIT?

I know a few people in MIT who have AEO status. MIT is one of the more difficult faculties, in that there is a lot of essay writing. This does not bode well for the vast majority of first year students.

I believe strongly that: if you truly want to maintain the 80% and go to Ivey, you won't allow yourself to fall short of this goal.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Augustus1 Augustus1

@PurpleMustang wrote

@Augustus1 wrote

I had a 95.0% and had fantastic ECs, and I was accepted on the first day of acceptances (March 30th). I am almost certain that you will get an admission with a 95% average and average ECs.

All students will go to the new building. I believe the old building is being used for the Faculty of Music at Western.

Thanks, that's encouraging. Was your high school semestered or non-semestered? Because I heard that the first round is only for semestered students who have a set of final grade 12 grades. However, I'm in a non-semestered school so my courses are full year, therefore all my grades are "interim", as I won't be done until June.

Do you think I still have a chance of getting in first round if this is the case? I'm worried because the first set of grades my school sent were December marks (where I had 95.33), but if I don't get first round, Ivey will most likely see my March grades which I'm guessing will be a bit lower. If I drop from a 95.33 to a 94 point something or even a 93 point something, will Ivey look at that badly even if the latest average is still pretty high?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Augustus1 wrote

Thanks, that's encouraging. Was your high school semestered or non-semestered? Because I heard that the first round is only for semestered students who have a set of final grade 12 grades. However, I'm in a non-semestered school so my courses are full year, therefore all my grades are "interim", as I won't be done until June.

Do you think I still have a chance of getting in first round if this is the case? I'm worried because the first set of grades my school sent were December marks (where I had 95.33), but if I don't get first round, Ivey will most likely see my March grades which I'm guessing will be a bit lower. If I drop from a 95.33 to a 94 point something or even a 93 point something, will Ivey look at that badly even if the latest average is still pretty high?

I was at a semestered high school, but I know of students who were accepted on the first day who went to a non-semestered high school as well. I wouldn't worry, to be honest. You'll find out before June, regardless of the fact that you go to a non-semestered high school. The last round was in May, I believe.

I still think you have a chance at first round. If you don't get first round, though, it's really not a big deal. Nobody knows who received first round and who didn't. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. You really don't have anything to worry about a 90%+ average. My best friend got AEO with an 87%ish in high school. Granted, he got accepted last round, but he still was accepted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CMA2014 CMA2014

@PurpleMustang wrote

@Augustus1 wrote

Next year, HBA1's will be in the old building for the fall semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CMA2014 wrote

@PurpleMustang wrote

@Augustus1 wrote

Next year, HBA1's will be in the old building for the fall semester.

Yes, I'm aware. I was referring to *when* the building is made available, the old building will no longer be used.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
PurpleMustang - I see you are in psych!!

I applied to bmos and psych for the first two years and I've heard quite a few reviews of bmos - but how is psych? :P is it harder/easier than bmos? how are the classes and profs? and what kind of work/projects do you get? lastly- do you like it! :)

thanks! :bigsmurf:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Windsongs4 wrote

I applied to bmos and psych for the first two years and I've heard quite a few reviews of bmos - but how is psych? :P is it harder/easier than bmos? how are the classes and profs? and what kind of work/projects do you get? lastly- do you like it! :)

I would honestly say that BMOS is easier than Psych. Almost all of my close friends are in BMOS and they seem to have an easier courseload. There is a lot of reading in Psych, and not so much in BMOS. I'm not suggesting that BMOS is a walk-in-the-park, but when compared to Psych, I would say that BMOS is the easier route to take. Though, I must say that, with any program, you really do need to work hard because the 80% average won't come too easy.

Re: do I like Psych? Yes, I do. I'm specifically interested in Forensic Psychology (which is a combination of Psychology and the Law). My ultimate goal is Law School, so perhaps that's why it intrigues me. I'm certainly getting bored of Psychology, though. I was considering continuing with my Psych degree and then going to Law School instead of going to Ivey in 3rd year, but I'm pretty sure I will go to Ivey now. Psych is already getting repetitive, so I don't know how I'll manage for another two years.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@PurpleMustang wrote

@Windsongs4 wrote

I would honestly say that BMOS is easier than Psych. Almost all of my close friends are in BMOS and they seem to have an easier courseload. There is a lot of reading in Psych, and not so much in BMOS. I'm not suggesting that BMOS is a walk-in-the-park, but when compared to Psych, I would say that BMOS is the easier route to take. Though, I must say that, with any program, you really do need to work hard because the 80% average won't come too easy.

Re: do I like Psych? Yes, I do. I'm specifically interested in Forensic Psychology (which is a combination of Psychology and the Law). My ultimate goal is Law School, so perhaps that's why it intrigues me. I'm certainly getting bored of Psychology, though. I was considering continuing with my Psych degree and then going to Law School instead of going to Ivey in 3rd year, but I'm pretty sure I will go to Ivey now. Psych is already getting repetitive, so I don't know how I'll manage for another two years.

....oh dear :P i was almost sure of choosing psych over bmos -but i get bored really easily, and if both are boring, I can see the benefits of choosing the boring but easier program :S ah well, we'll see. thanks for the input! how are teachers?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I would definitely choose BMOS over Psych, personally. But that's just me. It's really up to your personal preferences.

The teachers are pretty meh. I haven't had terrible experiences and I haven't had fantastic experiences. My favourite professor is one that I have right now, but it's for a third year honours seminar class - so, not second year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@PurpleMustang wrote
I would definitely choose BMOS over Psych, personally. But that's just me. It's really up to your personal preferences.

The teachers are pretty meh. I haven't had terrible experiences and I haven't had fantastic experiences. My favourite professor is one that I have right now, but it's for a third year honours seminar class - so, not second year.

okeydokes- thanks a bunch!:bigsmurf:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

sorry one last question; is there a lot of essay writing?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Windsongs4 wrote

In Psychology? It depends on what courses you take. But, I've only had one Psychology essay class (and it's a half credit) and it's the third year honours seminar that I'm taking. The rest (I've taken 1.0 Psychology credits in first year and 3.0 Psychology credits this year) have had 0 essays required.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@PurpleMustang wrote

@Windsongs4 wrote

In Psychology? It depends on what courses you take. But, I've only had one Psychology essay class (and it's a half credit) and it's the third year honours seminar that I'm taking. The rest (I've taken 1.0 Psychology credits in first year and 3.0 Psychology credits this year) have had 0 essays required.

..i thought psych had lots of essay writing.. :P awesomeness.

so then what exactly are your assignments?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

We don't have any. They're all exams. Some of my classes had labs, where we had like 3 assignments for the term and they weren't worth very much. Other than exams, you may be given a participation mark in some of your smaller classes/classes with labs or tutorials, but that's about it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

so basically no homework....

exams- are they multiple choice and short answer?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Windsongs4 wrote
so basically no homework....

exams- are they multiple choice and short answer?

Usually only multiple choice.

And, no, it's not "no homework", believe me. There is so much reading to do, in addition to preparing for exams - which appear to happen all the time. So far, I've had about 12 exams since September, and I have 3 more next week.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greatwallpaul greatwallpaul
Heard any reviews of MIT + AEO?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@greatwallpaul wrote
Heard any reviews of MIT + AEO?

One of the most difficult programs because it's essay-intensive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0