yconic - I'm Freaking out Here!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

I'm Freaking out Here!

A photo of SockMonkeyKing SockMonkeyKing
Okay here's the problem. I'm in grade 10, my grades are fairly average, and almost every adult except for my parents are telling me to choose a post secondary education and all that. I AM HAVING AN EFFING PANIC ATTACK! Please help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of kraken kraken
tell them to stfu till next year. then chill out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AkumaChan AkumaChan
It's way too early. You might want to start thinking about possible careers, maybe start roaming websites of Universities or Colleges, but don't stress too much over it. The end of Grade 11 into 12 is where things will really start as far as deciding your future.
It's understandable that adults around you would want you to stay on track, but they're really just causing unecessary stress.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Your grade 10 marks don't matter at all. You still have time in grade 11 to pull them up if necessary. Go to the university fair held every year at the Metro Convention Centre in downtown Toronto (if you're from nearby), it's usually one weekend in October. All the major Canadian universities will be there with representatives so you can ask questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
You'll be fine, you're not even half way through high school, tell your parents to chill. But i suggest get involved in extracurricular activities, teams and such, so that you don't have to hear them nag that you're not doing any thing for your future. If the say anything, just say it'll help you with scholarships and such.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I remember when I was in grade 10.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx
I had no idea what i wanted to do back then.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tzunamis Tzunamis

@Nyx wrote
You'll be fine, you're not even half way through high school, tell your parents to chill. But i suggest get involved in extracurricular activities, teams and such, so that you don't have to hear them nag that you're not doing any thing for your future. If the say anything, just say it'll help you with scholarships and such.

That's exactly what I'm doing and I'm in grade 10 too aha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of anita.tran anita.tran
CHIIIIIIILLLL !!!!

Even if you DO choose what university you want to go in to, your first year of university is just general courses all having to do with what SPECIFIC course you'll be taking your SECOND year of university. So general courses will be something like Biology and Chemistry. You really have NOTHING to worry about !

Even if you DON'T know what you want to go into, what you can do is just volunteer around and see what you like and continue volunteering there. Volunteering is kind of like trying on what career you like, and if you don't like it, you can leave it, or if you do, continue with it.

Hoped that helped ! Goooood Luck !!!:cheers: :cheese: :cheers: :cheese:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of academicgirl academicgirl
Don't worry at all! Even grade 11 marks don't really count, unless you are interested in scholarships. Just relax and enjoy the time you have when marks won't actually make a difference. :/ Good luck, I'm sure everything will turn out well in the future.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
Your Grade 12 marks are what count.
Universities care less about Grade 10+11 marks.

However, I guess it's arguable that doing good now will prepare you for Grade 12.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stuiecam123 stuiecam123
There is no set outline for life
run away from your parents...hitch hike get some REAL life experience so that when you DO go to university you'll have more to talk about than your grades and clubs....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
you don't really need to know in grade ten what you wanna do. that being said, try to either A) have a general idea, or B) leave your options open when it comes to choosing the courses youre going to take next year - if you don't take the right ones in grade 11, you can't get into the right ones in grade 12
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Odie Odie
Don't worry so much about it. I myself have known what I wanted to be since grade three. But for others they don't end up knowing till way after high school. My older sister is in her second year of university and she still doesn't know what she wants to be. But at least now she has an idea of what she wants to do. Plus my guidance counseler is always telling us that our generation will have at least seven carreer changes in our life. But if your parents are pressuring you I would get them to sit down with a guidance counseler. It worked for my parents so it might work for yours.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
Get a social life, don't be a reject
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sn86 sn86
Your parents are probably just wondering if you are thinking about your future and are just putting suggestions here and there. Before you can think of what college/university you would want to apply to try thinking what kind of career you would be interested. You can base that from the courses you are taking now and in the next two years.

Just make a small plan, and tell your parents what your intentions are. This initial plan is not solid and is going to change but hey at least they know you are thinking about you future
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Love2travel Love2travel
Your parents just want the best for you..I remember my parents asking me what I wanted to be back in Grade 5! If you had a kid in high school, wouldn't you wonder what their aspirations were? It's quite exciting for the parents, you can't blame them ;)
However, I get where you're coming from and why you're stressed. If you don't really know what you want to be, don't worry. That's what high school is for. These three years will be the time for you to map out what you'd like to be. Do some career research, and think about what your interests are. It never hurts to explore these things, and you'll be ahead of the game when it actually comes to making the decision in Grade 12 when you apply for university and choose your major. I was pretty intimidated when I first started doing career research, but once you get into it, it's fun to think about your future and picture yourself in different professions. You learn a lot more about your interests and become motivated to achieve success in pursuing your goals. Don't stress too much, have fun and I wish you the best of luck! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JOLEECHAN JOLEECHAN
I know how you feel! It's stressful! But you really shouldn't worry too much about it. At the beginning of grade 12, I still didn't know what to go into. My advice is just to take it easy, people just want you to do well and be prepared for post secondary life. The best thing you can do right now is research. Look up careers or jobs that you're interested in! If people are giving opinions left and right, tell them you'll think about it, and do some research, you might come across something you really want to go into. Take time to visit your post secondary schools if you're planning on going to one. Most schools do campus tours whether or not you're in grade 12, and there's probably an annual university fair hosted somewhere in your community.
I'll also suggest talking to your friends and classmates, even your teachers. They're probably interested or were interested in a wide range of careers and jobs that you might have never even thought about.
By the way, if you've ever heard of the _____ for Dummies series, the books that that black and bright yellow? There's one for finding a career that might suit you best! Go take a look!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pamela13 pamela13
Find what interests you and VOLUNTEER there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of riverbkstar riverbkstar
they are saying that because A. u have average grades and need to lpan ahead incase u pick a demanding field thats tough to get into. B ur in gr 10 and sometimes to get into school @ places like university u need like a total of so many courses in lets say gr 12 and u need to plan ahead starting gr 10 like me. i am gr 9 and already have to take summer skool to b where i wanna be in university 4 yrs from now. start planning. look up jobs or take online tests to give u a level of where u shood b when ur an adult. aptitude tests they r called. all the best
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ffcelik ffcelik
I decided what to do this summer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MaybeMelody MaybeMelody
When I was in grade 10 I thought it was stupid that everyone was telling me to choose something there and then. And in some ways it is. Obviously you don't need to decisively choose your career right now.
However, now that I've graduated, and am taking a year off before going to university... I can definitely see some wisdom there.
If you think about it now, you'll have some idea as to what you want to do, so you can 1) choose courses that will be helpful to achieving your academic/career goals. Also, 2) it takes a lot of pressure off in the coming years. Grade 11, and especially grade 12, get more difficult, and if you already have a clear goal in mind, it's a lot easier to work towards. Better than dividing up your time between homework, socializing, part-time job, and worrying about your future, for sure!
Don't stress yourself out about it though. You still have time. Your grade 11 course selection will be coming up soon, but during the summer if you realize "Hey, I want to be a chemist! I should have signed up for chemistry..." (or whatever) then you have time to make that change in September.
So I would recommend thinking about it, but you don't need to stress yourself out over it, and you definitely don't need to "KNOW" right now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of elletia elletia
It's always important to think about your future, and to do your best in school. But in grade 10 it's not important to the point where you should be stressing about "choices" or too much about grades even. Heck I know people in grade 12 who still have no idea where they want to go for university or what they want to do.

Don't stress :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AnnW93 AnnW93
don't worry so much
Grade 10 marks don't matter. In grade 10, I think you should explore a bit and see what you are interested in. To be honest, when I was in grade 10, I didn't know what I wanted to study. So I explored a bit, taking some science courses and business courses. In grade 11/12, you can decide what you want to pursue and take the courses on what you are interested in. So no worries!
Was this helpful? Yes 0