yconic - I'm going to McMaster for business/commerce, but want to go to Ivey
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

I'm going to McMaster for business/commerce, but want to go to Ivey

A photo of Yokii Yokii
So I graduated from HS with an 85%. I'm really disappointed in myself for not getting into ivey at western because I have the extra-curricular and leadership (head of clubs, part of councils, 3 sports teams, plus out of school jobs, a service trip to Ecuador). My overall average wasn't great enough for me to be as competitive as I would like. I want to know of how to aim to get into ivey for 3rd year entry. Also, how is the mac commerce/business program at McMaster, I've heard it isn't the best.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
To get into Ivey as a transfer is obviously a bit more difficult than getting the AEO status, they take 1/3rds outside of Western so you still have a chance. You need to keep up with extracirruculars, work experience and your marks. If your marks are around 85% and you have a good level of involvement, then you are a competitive applicant. As for MAC's business program, in short: it sucks. Lol I don't know what else to tell you really, just transfer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yokii Yokii
Should I try to transfer to Laurier for second year and then try to transfer to Ivey for third year? I feel if I do that, then it will be hard to keep grades up and activities if I continue changing universities. Also, what sorts of activities should I get involved in when I'm at university to be competitive?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
Yeah I think you'll have a hard time adjusting to activities if you switch around universities, but Laurier is a very transfer friendly school keep in mind. You should just stick to MAC, do DECA and all the other opportunities you have thrown on your way. I think one of the most unique things you can do is start a business. Like a small time low scale thing, you stand out greatly from the rest of the applicants, oh and you can also volunteer abroad, that would set you apart a lot. May be after first year, you can do something like that. So just do those things and try your luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yokii Yokii
I'm for sure going to join DECA and I'm already planning a service trip to Brazil for next summer which I'll be paying for with my summer job :) What would you say constitutes a small business? I've heard of others making them which greatly helped them with Ivey but I'm not sure what kind of business :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Yokii wrote
Should I try to transfer to Laurier for second year and then try to transfer to Ivey for third year? I feel if I do that, then it will be hard to keep grades up and activities if I continue changing universities. Also, what sorts of activities should I get involved in when I'm at university to be competitive?

No. You will be switching schools and will have to put up with all of that on top of making sure your grades are superb and dedicating large amounts of time to ECs. Stay at McMaster. Applying from Laurier will not give you much of an advantage, if any. The whole transfer process to Laurier and switching schools and making new friends to study with and stuff is something you can do without. You will have to do that if you get into Ivey anyways. Do you really want to attend 3 schools in 3 years?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ceeps ceeps
get a decent internship, get some sort of leadership position in a club (ie VP ________) and an 80+ (preferably 83+) will pretty much do the trick. I know a few ppl who were able to transfer and that's what it took for them. I also saw a few ppl who had high 70s plus the ec's who didn't get in, so make sure you at least get an 80. And don't transfer to Laurier, not a whole lot of differential between McMaster Comm and Laurier Biz
Was this helpful? Yes 0