yconic - I'M SO DEAD.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

I'M SO DEAD.

A photo of lilMCDawg lilMCDawg
So I'm a high school student with poor marks.
For first semester, I got
Eng-76 (should be higher)
Adv. Func-61 (i'm hoping my calc mark will me higher)
Bio-72 (will get higher)
Chem-70
other-87
other-90
AVERAGE:76 (AHHHH)

I want to go into either life sciences or nursing. I am really hesitant because I feel that my marks are the only thing that's stopping me from pursing my interests in the medical field. I want to apply to:
- UTSC or UTSG life sci
- UW life sci
- Ryerson nursing
- Western sci
- Brock nursing
Will I get accepted by any of the these universities??? :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0
30 replies

A photo of Zion Zion
Well, marks are kinda important. I'd cross off UTSG, UW, and Western. The others I'm not sure about.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey do universities just reject students or do they offer an alternate program to go into??

And how is science at York???
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
They only offer an alternate if you applied to an alternate.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx

@lilMCDawg wrote
Bio-72 (will get higher)
Chem-70
other-87
other-90

I want to go into either life sciences or nursing. I am really hesitant because I feel that my marks are the only thing that's stopping me from pursing my interests in the medical field. I want to apply to:
- UTSC or UTSG life sci
- UW life sci
- Ryerson nursing
- Western sci
- Brock nursing

Are you in grade 11 or 12? If your in grade 11 you really shouldn't worry. If you're in grade twelve there is still hope. Just work really hard. My first semester was terrible, but my second was great, which is all that matters.
I'm not sure about the general sciences, becuase I only applied to nursing programs. But a 76 will def NOT get you into Ryerson (blunt, but honest). I knew people last year getting rejected with averages of 86 (and some above). I'd say aim for an 80 to get into brock nursing..

On that note, if you don't get into Brock nursing I think they offer alternates. At least they did last year... Last year after first semester (so Feb.) my chem mark wasn't high enough for their nursing program (you need 65, i had 64) so they offered me public health instead. I ended upgrading my chemistry and getting into their nursing in May, but that's a different story. Look into Brock some more though. I heard that since their nursing program is still fairly new it's really unorganized.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
On another note. I suggest nursing over life sciences...
Why? Because you will always have a job. I'm assuming if you did life sciences you would hope to go to med school after. But if you didn't get in then what can you do for work? Least with nursing you will always have that, or that's was my train of thought before I realized i actually wanted to be a nurse, not a doctor.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AbinahTee AbinahTee
Life Sciences is pretty competitive so you're going to have to work much harder next semester!!! Yeah, my marks are pretty much the same and I heard that if you're not doing well in advanced functions you're not going to do well in calculus. I suggest getting a tutor or some after school help for calculus!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

hey cosstickxx, since I see that you're in UWO nursing, why do they require grade 11 functions mark?!? I really want to apply to UWO but my gr.11 functions mark did not succeed above 65! :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dbrenpong dbrenpong
i wouldnt be discouraged because your marks arent to bad and univeristies give u a chance to explain why u may have done so poorly in your individual application letters. Remember academics isnt the only thing they look at. They also look at volunteer work, work experience and letter of references. I would advise you though to put more effort into your studies and see your teachers to ask if there are any additional projects you can do for extra marks!All the best =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mar Mar
You should study very hard over the Christmas Break.
Talk to your teachers, they can give you another chance to improve your grades.

If you will get 85%+ on rest of your tests/quizzes/homework and final then why wont they help you?
Last year my friend was failing Math but he studied very hard over the Christmas break. On Final Test he got 90% and teacher changed his grade to mid 80s.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx

@lilMCDawg wrote
Hey do universities just reject students or do they offer an alternate program to go into??

And how is science at York???

Depends on the university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
You're not dead, it's just not possible in your current state
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tashahuggins tashahuggins
I know Brock offers alternate courses without application, but I'm not so sure about the others.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Reality Reality

@lilMCDawg wrote
Bio-72 (will get higher)
Chem-70
other-87
other-90

- UTSC or UTSG life sci
- UW life sci
- Ryerson nursing
- Western sci
- Brock nursing

With those marks, you won't be getting into UofT, Ryerson, or Western. Not too sure about Brock. But for UW, mid to high 70s should be adequate enough, and your chances are even higher if you have a competitive AIF form.

Do reflect on your academic abilities however. Ask yourself - how can you change your studying habits or your time management skills to ensure that you'll get higher grades? Because trust me, it doesn't get any easier, especially if we're talking about science.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx

@dbrenpong wrote
i wouldnt be discouraged because your marks arent to bad and univeristies give u a chance to explain why u may have done so poorly in your individual application letters. Remember academics isnt the only thing they look at. They also look at volunteer work, work experience and letter of references. I would advise you though to put more effort into your studies and see your teachers to ask if there are any additional projects you can do for extra marks!All the best =)

Are you high? there's only some universities that even take extra material into consideration. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about/ you've mixed up SA with CC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@Nyx wrote

@dbrenpong wrote

Are you high? there's only some universities that even take extra material into consideration. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about/ you've mixed up SA with CC.

+5000
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of esin esin

@Zion wrote

@Nyx wrote

@dbrenpong wrote

+5000

x2
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I agree marks are so important
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of theboydetective theboydetective
If you're a really dedicated student who loves academia, you can go to a non-top university, or even a college, work hard and get good grades, and transfer to a better university. If not, it's not really a big deal, unless your parents are really harsh.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shesoartsy shesoartsy

@lilMCDawg wrote
Bio-72 (will get higher)
Chem-70
other-87
other-90

- UTSC or UTSG life sci
- UW life sci
- Ryerson nursing
- Western sci
- Brock nursing

hey if all fails come to uoit then transfer after first year:compress: ........... you're guaranteed a spot in both programs with your marks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brett7788 brett7788
Just persevere and work as hard as you can. In the short run it will be exasperatingly, in the long it will be even more worth you time making big bucks and doing what you always wanted to do. If you get your biology mark up it should be fine but if your struggling well... work harder!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shacheung shacheung
well.. life science is easier to get in than health science
it may be difficult to get into universities that are more well known in the science field
still apply and see

i rmb Waterloo was the first to send me an acceptance letter
but Waterloo isn't all that great for science...
you can always switch universities if u work hard and do great in first yr... but it's always a hassle...

gd luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vNIELSEN vNIELSEN
after first semester my marks are pretty bad too, I'm afraid that chemistry will mess up my chances of getting into a kines program...

i hear ya..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of susanwu22 susanwu22
See how your second semester goes, if your average does not improve, or falls even lower, there's always the option of staying back a year to raise your marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of trollface101 trollface101
dude, retake adv functions in night school if you're serious about getting in since that is pulling down your avg..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of al1993 al1993

@AbinahTee wrote
Life Sciences is pretty competitive so you're going to have to work much harder next semester!!! Yeah, my marks are pretty much the same and I heard that if you're not doing well in advanced functions you're not going to do well in calculus. I suggest getting a tutor or some after school help for calculus!

Life Science isn't that competitive as you may perceive it to be. My friend last year applied to Life Science at Waterloo, Toronto and a general science at Windsor with an average of around 78% and she was accepted to all of them. We're located in southern Ontario in a high ranked university. She's great at math(mid 90s), but in the low 70s with English, and low 80s/high 70s in Biology and Chem. But really, just look at the requirements. If you meet the requirements, you will most likely make it.

The requirements for Life Science at Waterloo is in high 70s(regular) and low 80s (co-op). Windsor's requirements are much lower. If you have a 70 or above average, you will be accepted to Windsor.

Functions and Calculus are extremely important marks though. With a low mark in those areas, it is difficult to get accepted into a Science program.

A little advice for you. NEVER slack off. I did that all my years of high school(excluding grade 10) and I regret it. I'm one of those people who use to brag about getting high grades without having to put any effort. Yes, a LOT of people do that. It doesn't make you look smarter. It makes you stupid. Put effort in tests and assignments, ask questions, go for extra help when needed, etc.

hope that helps:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0