yconic - Importance of English..?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Importance of English..?

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats
Hi. I was just wondering if ALL Ontario universities and ALL their programs takes English into account even if it is not your top 6 marks. For example, let's say you got 90 in bio, 87 in physics, 85 in chemistry, 95 in vectors and calculus, 94 in health care, 92 in physical education and 80 in English. And I was to apply to Biology. Would English count? Thanks for clarifying!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of jelly jelly
English always counts, for every program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan

@jelly wrote

This is true, but only for universities in Ontario.
Some universities like McGill will take your french mark instead of your English mark
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brady23 brady23

@KingKhan wrote

@jelly wrote

This is true, but only for universities in Ontario.
Some universities like McGill will take your french mark instead of your English mark

Actually, not for every program in Ontario. For example, all Laurier & Ryerson programs will accept any English course (Writer's Craft, Literature, etc.)

Health Studies & Kinesiology does not require English for Waterloo.

Engineering at Lakehead does not require English.

And a whole bunch of programs at Brock and Carleton does not require English.

http://universityadmissions.ca/2011/ontario-university-programs-not-requiring-eng4u-for-admission/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of napinhei napinhei
For starters, 80 is not a bad final mark at all. From what I have seen out of friends of mine who have already gone to university, a lot of them only had marks between 70 and 80. Granted, they didn't go into incredibly competitive science programs, but they went on to take a variety of different things from Languages to History and so on. Even so, your hypothetical averages are excellent, even the 80 average.

Now to more specifically answer your question, as long as your top six are U/M courses and your marks meet or exceed the entrance requirements, you'll more than likely get in. As I said, it may be more challenging if you're applying to something really competitive because if they have more applicants who meet or exceed the requirements than they have spots for, they will look at other things such as your averages in other courses, and even your grade 11 marks.

Why? Let us say that there are two people trying to get the last spot in a program. And for arguments sake, they hypothetically have identical grades in their top six U/M courses. What are the admissions people going to do? They are going to compare more grades. If all of their other grades are consistantly high and the same, they will make their decision based on the smallest difference, even if that difference ends up being a mere 1% in a course, whether that be English or otherwise.

Now, that is assuming that you have applied to programs where the university does not ask you to fill out a background information form - I recently had to do a few for my application - which asks about you and why you want to study that program at that particular institution. That is likely to be more heavily considered than a small percentile difference.

Though, I would like to add one thing. This is only my personal opinion based around, what I believe to be, logic. In university, regardless of your subject of major interest, you are basically guaranteed to have to write something at some point. Perhaps it will be an essay, or a lab like I remember from science class. Regardless, you will have to write. Now, even if they don't consider English as far as admission requirements go, whose to say they won't have a look at your English mark? An 80 isn't bad, but let us say that 80 is instead a 60. It may not bring down your average because it isn't in the top six, but it may make them wonder if you will be able to write essays properly or even follow along in complex textbooks.

...And now that I think about it, you may want to read entrance requirements carefully because I think that some universities do in fact consider English. I could be mistaken. Random brain wave. Just make sure you check. Back to what I was saying...

I know that the fact I am a perspective English major could suggest that I am bias in what I'm telling you, but consider it food for thought. Some valid points that you should keep in mind. No matter what program you go into, you're going to always have to use the skills you learned in English class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of englishbuff englishbuff

@KingKhan wrote

^ Hmm.. I've never actually heard of that before. Where did you hear/read about that?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Joshki Joshki

@englishbuff wrote

@KingKhan wrote

^ Hmm.. I've never actually heard of that before. Where did you hear/read about that?

http://www.mcgill.ca/applying/standards/ontario/

Same thing for uottawa
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of englishbuff englishbuff

@Joshki wrote

@englishbuff wrote

@KingKhan wrote

http://www.mcgill.ca/applying/standards/ontario/

Same thing for uottawa

That's a really useful guideline. Thanks for sharing!
You have a great average by the way
Was this helpful? Yes 0