yconic - In a bit of a dilemma
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

In a bit of a dilemma

A photo of BrendanSong BrendanSong
Hello everyone,

So my original first choice was Math/CA at Waterloo, but I've received admission to their Computer Science & Business Administration program (Waterloo and Laurier joint program). I've been researching a bit and have heard that the Math/CA program is very narrow and specific. I don't want to be doing math all day so my perception of this program is now distorted. However, I still think the Math/CA program is a great opportunity for me to pursue a CA designation. I'd appreciate any suggestions/thoughts and it would be great if someone could tell me more about the CS/BA program. Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey,

I don't know much about the CS/BA program but I do know quite a bit about the Math/Ca degrees. About I year ago when I was considering that program, I came across a family friend that took it at Waterloo just a few years ago. She said it was a great program because you're able to get two degrees and it can be useful when looking for a job. It's CA specific and that can be a positive or a negative but I when I asked whether she would change something if she had a chance to do it all over again, she told me that the program is VERY difficult and wasn't necessary. She chose to go the CA route and works at Deloitte. For her, it was more work than needed because she would have been fine with just a BA degree. I don't know if this answers your question, hope it helps.

Good Luck
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@BrendanSong wrote
Hello everyone,

So my original first choice was Math/CA at Waterloo, but I've received admission to their Computer Science & Business Administration program (Waterloo and Laurier joint program). I've been researching a bit and have heard that the Math/CA program is very narrow and specific. I don't want to be doing math all day so my perception of this program is now distorted. However, I still think the Math/CA program is a great opportunity for me to pursue a CA designation. I'd appreciate any suggestions/thoughts and it would be great if someone could tell me more about the CS/BA program. Thanks

Actually, the Math/CA program leans far more heavily towards the accounting than it does towards the mathematics.

However, regardless of what you choose, if you pursue a BMath, at some point you'll be doing math all day. So if that's not what you're interested in, why did you apply to these programs?

The CS/BBA program is pretty new (I don't think anyone's graduated from it yet). It's a business degree with a CS degree, what can I say?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@BrendanSong wrote
Hello everyone,

I think I may have answered your questions before but not sure. Anyways, I am a former Math/CA, now a CS student so I can offer a relevant perspective. If you want to pursue your CA and you are interested in pursuing a somewhat challenging undergraduate academic experience, then the Math/CA program might be for you.

Generally, those qualities do not match (i.e. if you're the type who wants to pursue a CA, you wouldn't want a challenging undergrad - and if you wanted a challenging undergrad then the CA definitely wouldn't satisfy your ambitions. These are just from my observations and my opinion).

If you are deadset on a CA, you should consider the new AFM program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BrendanSong BrendanSong
Thanks for your input, looks like I'll have to seriously consider which direction I'm going to head in. I just think both programs are excellent, but am not sure whether I would enjoy just crunching numbers all day, because math/ca just sounds like that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0