yconic - In lectures: typing or writing?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

In lectures: typing or writing?

A photo of asyeda asyeda
In a lecture, do you absorb more when writing your notes down or when you're typing? Which one do you prefer and why? :study:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Typing is faster. However, having a laptop and Internet access might not go well together for many many people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EastSideBoyz EastSideBoyz

@heesoup wrote
Typing is faster. However, having a laptop and Internet access might not go well together for many many people.

many on this site spend there time on studentawards when they should be learning :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EastSideBoyz EastSideBoyz

@heesoup wrote

many on this site spend there time on studentawards when they should be learning :p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of asyeda asyeda

@heesoup wrote

Good point. I went from writing at lectures to typing and then back to writing :)
I found that while typing was indeed faster, it was very much like tape recording the lecture - I didn't always absorb the material right away, and had to go back and *really* think about what I wrote. Typing made it easy to just copy down at lightning speed (an advantage if your professor is talking fast), but at the same time, it forced me not to think about what I was writing, so I ended up re-doing the learning process. At the end, had to do double the work when I actually got down to studying.

Any university or college students have a differing opinion?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Neither, I don't absorb and retain information until I read it aloud to myself (whether it's typed/written). When I'm taking notes in class, I'm not actually taking in the info, I'm just concentrating on getting down what the prof is saying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I bring an old-fashioned non-electric typewriter to all of my lectures. And I make sure to get a seat up at the front so as to piss everyone off as much as I can with the loud clicking.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CYYZ24ILS CYYZ24ILS
laptop = distraction.

Listen 80%, write 20%. Lecture notes are typically hosted online, and if not, most of the material is in your textbooks. I really cringe at the people that jot down WORD FOR WORD every single little thing a prof would write on the board in a math class, when the exact crap is in your textbook
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
I wrote for all my classes this year mostly but this term, I had to type all my CS lec notes simply because our prof likes to write 3 boards and talks about them after... so you pretty much have to copy while he writes and listen when he finally decides to talk or else nothing would go into the brain.

but honestly this term i was being a little stupid and i copied notes without paying attention, which really did not help me. i didnt even have my laptop out most of the time. my mind started to go blank and i just wouldnt want to listen. it may be due to the fact that i went on a bad sleeping schedule and i had early morning classes.

also if youre taking a math class, it's usually better to write instead of type.. since there can be notation and diagrams involved that you cant just type out or Paint it.

Internet access is good when the profs have lec notes that are similar to the board notes. It's distracting but keeps you awake lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mikhaylova13 mikhaylova13
some of my classes in high school are lecture-type, and some kids type but i've always found it easier to write because i use this kind of self-invented shorthand that only i understand and my page is covered in arrows and such, and i feel like if i used a laptop i'd just make a thousand spelling mistakes and try to go back to fix them when the prof is still talking and it would just get messy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
I usually print off the slides so there's lines on the side to write on, and take my notes on there. If I know there isn't a slide show for that week (and the prof allows it) I bring my laptop.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of treecows treecows
Depends on the prof and their style of lecturing.
If most of the info is on the slideshow, I'll print them off and write whatever notes there.

If they don't use powerpoints or they make crappy ones where each slide is like one word, I'll type my notes
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
Every professor and every lecture will be different. Some classes, as others said, I would print lecture notes and write around them for extra information. Some other classes, I'd just sit and listen because the readings gave me all the information needed. I've never brought my laptop though, because I can write fast enough and don't want to carry around my laptop. You'll figure it out once you get into university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of danselikeme danselikeme
For me, it depends. If its a subject like math- where a laptop wouldnt really help, id use writing
if it was more english-history-facts based, id bring a laptop
Was this helpful? Yes 0