yconic - IN NEED OF SERIOUS ADVICE: western (media theory & production) or guelph humber (media)?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

IN NEED OF SERIOUS ADVICE: western (media theory & production) or guelph humber (media)?

A photo of wcreid wcreid
so here's my dilemma. applied for ryerson (radio television arts), western (media theory & production), guelph-humber (media studies) in that order. heard from the latter two early on and yesterday found out i'd been put on ryerson's wait list. naturally i'm disappointed since that was my top choice and i've had my heart set on that school since at least grade 9.

as a result, i have 2 questions:
1) does anyone know anything about the waitlist beyond what the letter tells you/what my odds look like in terms of the wait list? i'm not getting my hopes up at all but i'd still give anything to do RTA.
2) because i now have to make a final decision in a very short period of time, i would be thrilled to get some advice on western vs. GH. i've heard their programs are nearly identical, i visited GH but haven't been able to get out to western. so naturally my dad & i are rushing to book a tour before june 2nd. he doesn't really want me commuting to GH because it's kinda impractical where i am (mississauga) and western is more reputable.

i'd be hugely appreciative to anyone who could give me some guidance in terms of what to do, i'm now even more stressed out and anxious and nervous. thank you so much in advance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Between Guelph-Humbers media program and Western's media program.

I would have to tell you to choose Western. Guelph-Humbers program is great but the school does not have tons of job resources after you graduate compared to Westerns.

Give Guelph-Humber 10 more years and there program will be outstanding!

I wish you good luck with Ryerson!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Western!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of wcreid wcreid
thanks for both your responses! so western eh? heesoup, why do you think it's better than GH? i booked my tour for may 30th which is 3 days before i have to accept an offer :/ my friend's brother just finished his 2nd year in media studies at GH and apparently loves the program so that's something i'm taking into consideration as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of afpm09 afpm09
WESTERN:
pros: - more prestige, more competitive stream, fewer classmates = possibly more time with professors to learn, joint program with Fanshawe, great school atmosphere
cons:- small town = not too many internship possibilities during the year, far from home (I don't know if that's a con for you or not)= expensive, competitive program- have to reapply in second year= really hard to maintain marks.

GUELPH-HUMBER
pros:- closer to downtown = more internship opportunities,great facilities, closer to home= less expensive, different streams you can focus on
cons:looks like a highschool, not as much prestige as Western

Western seems like a more prestigious school, I don't know if that's important to you or not. The campus atmosphere is also lively.However, Western is quite far from the media opportunities in Toronto - I guess you can maybe intern downtown in the Summer...

My boss and colleague at Rogers Television both went to Guelph-Humber, said very nice things about it and both are currently employed. One of my colleagues got an internship with Global TV during the Olympics and produced segments for them. They open up great doors too.

Hope this helps! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of wcreid wcreid
thanks a lot ^
and congrats on getting into rta!! maybe if i'm really really lucky a spot will open up & i'll see you in the fall :) when did you find out?

my dad seemed to prefer western largely because it's more prestigious. but at the end of the day, he & i agreed that the most important thing is that i go to the school i'll enjoy most and be able to get a job afterward. i'm pretty sure george stromboulopoulos (sp?) came from GH when it was still at guelph & look where he is now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of afpm09 afpm09

@wcreid wrote
thanks a lot ^
and congrats on getting into rta!! maybe if i'm really really lucky a spot will open up & i'll see you in the fall :) when did you find out?

my dad seemed to prefer western largely because it's more prestigious. but at the end of the day, he & i agreed that the most important thing is that i go to the school i'll enjoy most and be able to get a job afterward. i'm pretty sure george stromboulopoulos (sp?) came from GH when it was still at guelph & look where he is now.

thanks! I found out on March 25, the only day didn't check my account.

My friend told me that if you get waitlisted for RTA, it usually means they haven't gotten around to your stuff yet (I know it sounds hokey but, it's possible). Another friend of mine was dropped from the program after being accepted because she didn't meet the requirements. She was later readmitted into the program the week before school started. So anything is possible. What I'm trying to say is, don't give up hope.

RTA is a great program but your other options are fantastic ones too. I hope you make the right choice and go to the school you see yourself most in and the one you'll benefit the most from. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! Hopefully, I'll see you in the fall :D

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xxalyssa xxalyssa
Western maybe the more prestigious school, but Guelph-Humber is probably better out of the two for media. I have coworkers who went to Guelph- Humber and love it. I know one of them did an internship with Glow magazine (isn't an internship required or is that only for the journalism stream?) Plus, what makes Ryerson great for media is the location; although you are waitlisted for it, at least Guelph-Humber comes close to that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of wcreid wcreid
Thanks afpm & I hope I see you too! If I get in I'll def let you know so that I somewhat know someone when I get there lol.
xxalyssa, you pretty much sum up my dilemma. It'd be much easier getting an internship in Toronto than in London, and it'd likely be more beneficial. Plus I was looking at it and tuition (not counting res) is SO much cheaper at GH. Bursaries/scholarships included my 1st year at least would essentially be free of charge. Western would be almost $80,000 for the 4 years. If I stay home & go to GH, I could travel during the summer, go out more often, hell my parents could buy me a car or a down payment on a condo for graduation & still come nowhere near $80k. I'm visiting Western on Monday but unless my mind is blown, I think my choice is obvious.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of wcreid wcreid
ok, i think i'm going with GH. it's an honours degree (i'd have to do an additional year at western to get my honours), better internship opportunities it seems, and a lot less money. my parents basically said they'd let me travel over my summers with all the money we'd save, which is an incentive to stay home. plus the money GH is willing to give me would pay for over half my tuition at least for first year. western is beautiful, but i think if i want proper media training/experience toronto is the obvious place, being the media capital of canada.

if anyone objects or has a reason why i should pursue western instead, speak now or forever hold your peace!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0