yconic - Incoming Commerce/Business 2021 Student
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Incoming Commerce/Business 2021 Student

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey guys! I've been seeing a couple of these incoming student posts, so I thought I'd do one for Business/Commerce in general.

I applied to York Schulich, UofT Rotman, UTM Commerce, Queen's Commerce, WLU BBA, and Western BMOS + Ivey AEO and got into all of them. I ended up choosing Queen's Commerce.

So feel free to reply to this post if you have any questions about any of the above universities or programs. I used this website a ton when I was applying so I thought I'd try to help some 2022 kids :) I also researched a lot for the above schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 3
112 replies

How did you decide on Queens? I really love the city and I like the program, but it doesn't have co-op like some of the other business programs. I also haven't heard as much about its business reputation over schools like Western.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Queen's Commerce is a pretty well-known business program as long as you stay in Canada. Most people tend to compare Western Ivey and Queen's Commerce and those were the two programs I was choosing between. I did a summer program with Ivey and I felt really out of place when I was there. You know that feeling that people say they get when they find their school? I didn't think it was real until I stepped onto Queen's campus. Something about it made me fall in love with it. It gave me more of a community feel.

As for the program, I like that Queen's gets me right into business whereas Western wants me to wait 2 years before Ivey. Secondly, neither programs offer co-op but acquisition rates are still high. I know last year's Queen's rates were 97% found jobs within 6 months of graduation. 

To be completely honest, I didn't think I'd get into Queen's Commerce, but the second I got my acceptance letter, I was already leaning towards Queen's over all the other schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 3

What are the pros/cons of WLU bba?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

If you get into their co-op program that's really good, but if you don't it's a mediocre program at best. Reputation and opportunity wise, it's below Ivey and QC in my opinion, but it's still a good program. If I'm not mistaken, it's also cheaper than Ivey and QC. The social scene isn't too bad either. A bunch of my friends are going into their bba program.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

What extracurriculars did you have and what types of things did you use for the PSE? Also what were your top six marks?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I tried to get a bit of everything, but my main ec's were leader of a school club that also helped to donate a bunch of food and toys to local charities, tutored a grade 7 student that had a learning disability, DECA VP, member of diff clubs, leader of another smaller club, co-founded a student organization outside of school, and stuff like that. 

My PSE mostly mentioned the first club above where we donated a ton of stuff to local charities. I talked about my experience as a leader and how that helped me to help other people and such. 

My top six was around 96% in Feb.
Was this helpful? Yes 2

why not rotman???
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Rotman is more well-known for their MBA program and I didn't like that they had a high acceptance rate for first year, but then a lot of students don't meet the requirements for second year and get cut out of the program. Rotman doesn't technically start 'til second year which is why there's a huge jump in tuition from first to second year.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Which programs in Ontario are the best for accounting?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

From what I've heard, Waterloo's AFM program is pretty good. I'm not too familiar with Accounting because I only researched/applied for general commerce. As well, I think Waterloo's Mathematics/Chartered Professional Accountancy program is good. It has co-op. But in all honesty, the big 4 hire from most universities. Best of luck :)
Was this helpful? Yes 2

How about Brock ?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Any tips for applying to Queens commerce? thx for doing this btw :)
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hey! Sorry for the late reply, I didn't see your comment. 
For applying, I would strongly recommend to show, not just tell. Give examples of how you demonstrated your skills rather than just state what skills you have. This was the best advice someone gave me when I was struggling with my application. Also, make sure you have some strong ec's to talk about, and it'd be best if you had experiences all across the board because it makes you sound more well-rounded. For example, have a leadership one, have some volunteering ones, sports, arts, something you started, and/or something you have continued for a couple of years. There are two documents you must fill out. Once just asks for up to 5 activities you've done, and that is where I would recommend briefly talking about the different activities you've participated in. It's only 90 characters so make it to the point! 
One very important tip is to stay within the limits. If I remember correctly, they don't actually stop you if you go over the word count limit. But, if they say 300 words, stay within 300 words.
They would typically then ask you to elaborate on one of your extracurricular or employment opportunities and I would recommend one that you can easily talk about without much fluff. Choose an activity that you're passionate about, and something that you feel has helped another person or more people in your community. Lastly, always start with a strong opening and end with a strong closing. It's their first opinion of you and your lasting impression. 

Hope this helped, best of luck! 
Was this helpful? Yes 3

I'm involved in a lot of ECs but they are mostly music-based, will that hurt my chances of getting in?
I do a lot of volunteering but it's kind of all over the board (tree-planting, English tutor, donating food to the homeless etc.). How do you recommend I spin that so that the admissions team will like me?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hey! I don't think they care what you did as long as it impacted your community and it was something you're passionate about. Being able to spread out your ECs is quite important though because it shows the admissions team that you're well rounded. The volunteering part is good because you're doing a bit of everything, but make sure you find three main things that you want to discuss in your application. Try to spread them out into maybe one leadership, one position you've held for a while, and something you're clearly passionate about. Not having a whole lot of business clubs is okay because you're applying to business so it's clear that you have an interest in the topic. One very important part is not necessarily what you write about but how you write it as well. "Show don't tell" is very useful in this instance. For example, if you say you're someone who perseveres, write about an example where you exemplified the quality that you are discussing. Hope this is useful.
Was this helpful? Yes 2

this was very helfpul thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I want to apply to Schulich. How was the interview process? Also, they say that they recommend Calculus and Vectors as opposed to Data Management. I got a 92% in Grade 11 enriched (Pre-AP) Functions. Do you think its better to take Calc or Data? Do they take into account the fact that Calc is harder and does that increase your chances of getting in?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hey, so for the Schulich app there's the written piece and the video piece. Personally, I don't think I did too great on the video, but my written piece probably saved me. Go over the practice questions they give you because they come in handy. As well, go over basic questions like "Why do you want to come to Schulich" and "Have you ever held a leadership position, and if so, how did you contribute." 
As for Calc vs Data, I found Calc much easier than Data because Data's more analyzing whereas Calc is straight to the point. I don't think they really consider which one you take as long as your meet their required math. Good luck! 
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Hi there! Thanks for doing this :) There are some questions that I want to ask about Ivey How does Ivey AEO work and what does it exactly mean?  Why did you have to wait for 2 years before getting into Ivey?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hey! AEO stands for Advanced Entry Opportunity and this is specifically for Ivey. Ivey is only offered in year 3 and 4 which means for the first two years you're studying something else. For some, this could be their normal business program, BMOS, or another field in which they have an interest in. Having AEO means that Ivey will hold a position for you at Ivey as long as you meet their requirements, so that's an 80% average over year 1 and 2, as well as having extra-curriculars alongside schooling. If you don't meet these requirements, you lose your saved spot. Ivey also takes normal applications for year 3, having AEO just means you have an advantage since a seat is saved for you, it doesn't guarantee a spot in the program. If you need anymore info go visit their website, they have a ton of info about the Ivey AEO application.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

lol getting into these business programs is easy. especially cuz its business lmao
Was this helpful? Yes 1

lmao you must be joking, rotman, ivey AEO, sauder UBC the list goes on all require 90+ highschool average with great extra curriculars. In what universe do you live in to think business programs are easy/
Was this helpful? Yes 5

In modern canadian societies, i think it is reasonable to assume businesss is very easy

And fyi, acheiving 90%+ in high school is easy due to inflation, plus i see most kiddos on here lie about their ecs anyways 

And lets be honest, no employer in canada cares about what program you go to for business, university is about aquiring skills not a ROTMAN degree or a SAUDER degree lmao no one gives af. Once you enter workforce, youll realize. 
Was this helpful? Yes 3

Getting into university isn't all about marks, especially for Business programs. Most acceptances are based on your extra curriculars and they only accept well-rounded students. Employers don't necessarily favour one university degree over another, but the main difference is that one school may have more opportunities as compared to another.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi! So on the Ivey site, there are two dates for two different applications. The AEO one, and the HBA one. If I'm applying from Grade 12 (so for AEO), do I have to do both?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

If you're in grade 12, go with the AEO date, the HBA date is for those who already have their AEO status and are going into HBA1 (year 3) aka the first year of Ivey. You don't have to look at the HBA one, or at least not yet :)
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Do you have any tips about writing the supplementary? Or at least things that they look for?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

don't bullshit, they'll see right through it
Was this helpful? Yes 2

One of the best pieces of advice I got was "show, don't tell." Always give examples of the skills that you have. For example, if you say you have experience in leadership, provide a scenario in which you stepped up to lead a group. Usually at the top, they have a couple of main things that they're looking for, sometimes that's breadth, perseverance, leadership, etc. Try to hit all those points. As well, when you're trying to think about which extra curriculars to talk about, try to get a whole range so it makes you seem more well-rounded. It's a safe bet to choose a mix of arts, sports, leadership and volunteering. I would not recommend exaggerating too much because they will be able to tell. Lastly, get friends to read over your essays and get a second and even third opinion! Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Hi,
I was wondering which school it better, Schulich or Rotman. I've heard great things about both, but I've heard that they teach the same things. Is it worth going to Rotman then if their fees are much higher?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

It all comes down to preference I think. First year of Rotman is pretty general so the tuition is quite low, and you don't technically start Rotman until second year. They also weed out a ton of people after first year, so make sure you meet those grade requirements. As for Schulich, it's also a great program. In my opinion, Schulich is great, but York, not so much. It's not too safe of a school and the location isn't as great as Downtown Toronto. Although, at the same time, they have a higher retention rate so they don't weed out students after first year. Rotman is more well-known for their MBA program, but their undergraduate program doesn't have the same name value. Schulich has one of the lowest tuition costs for Business, if not the lowest. Rotman's tuition spikes in the second year. It honestly comes down to preference. Personally, I would've chosen Schulich over Rotman if I hadn't gotten into my school.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Do you have any tips for the supplementary application for Ivey AEO? Does someone with a low 90 (91-92) have a shot of getting AEO status?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Yes, you do have a shot at AEO because it all comes down to your application. Try to get upper years or teachers to read over your application because getting a different perspective is pretty great. As well, don't lie on your application, be truthful and when you're talking about your extra curriculars, try to spread them out. By this I mean try to have one athletic, one leadership, one arts, etc. Don't have them all be athletic, or all arts. Have a mix to show them that you're good at more than one thing. As well, feel free to read my replies above because I gave more tips for applying up there.
Was this helpful? Yes 3

Why would queens and graduate with over 80k in debt..
Was this helpful? Yes 1

For people choosing Ivey vs Queens just wanted to bring up some points. People say Ivey is the place where people who do not get into QC go but frankly, I am and also know many people who selected AEO over QC. Below I will explain my reasoning:

Ivey > QC. The reason being that the alumni base is much stronger and the caliber of students is so much higher. Anyone can be HIgh school smart and BS an application, but in university it reaches a point where you can't anymore. University makes the strong students shine while exposing the others! I will agree Queens is a tiny bit more selective in high school picking but once you are there you, chances are you will stay because the progression requirements aren't as rigorous and we all know some people who lied on their apps/took some private school/bird courses.  However for Ivey you not only need to maintain academic excellence but also maintain ECs. This weeds out the high school smart people from the actual smart people creating a much more intelligent student body. Both school perform well and have similar firms coming to recruit from them but there is a reason Ivey grads have outperformed Queens Com grads over their career spans. Ivey makes you a leader.. 

If any of you have any questions feel free to message me. AEO student here with a 90 average thus far in my university career :) 

Was this helpful? Yes 1

Do you think I have a decent chance with a 93 average 

Was this helpful? Yes 1

Average at Q Comm doesn't matter as much as the application. 93% should be fine for Ivey as long as your application is good!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

For everyone asking about Ivey and whether or not you will get in, here is some important info:
- 90% avg is their recommend competitive average (some with 88's have gotten in)
- they weigh your marks and EC's 50/50 (turned down over 100 96%+ averages last year bc they had weak EC's - info straight from an admissions officer)
- they check EVERY single reference you give for your EC's so you can't really bs too much 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

what are some suggestions you have for a grade 12 student to make their application more appealing to universities other than academic grades? I am also looking into and signing up for volunteer work but I'm not sure where. or if you have any other tips/advice in general!! 
Also, my grades from grade 9 - 10 are mostly in the 70s (I did not take school seriously lol), even though my average now is 85-90% ish, would universities care about those grades in freshman and sophomore year?  
Thank you :)
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Look for more leadership roles and be part of projects/clubs that you're passionate about because you'll find it much easier to write about on your applications. Also, on OUAC (Ontario University Application Centre), only your grade 11 and 12 marks get uploaded, so don't worry too much about your prior marks. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Hey man thank you so much for doing this!
I'm wondering if i achieve a 93-94 average with the following EC's
1.Deca Prez  and founder( 4-5 hours a week 2years)
2. Basketball Coach (6 months x 2)
3. Interned at a grassroots drone company since 2015 
Do you think I have a good chance?

Was this helpful? Yes 1

Those are very good ECs as long as you're able to expand on how it impacted you and your community/peers. These applications are more about how you articulate it rather than what it actually is. If you can get an English teacher or guidance counsellor to look it over, that'd be even better.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

How about McMaster Business program
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Can't speak to that one as I didn't apply to it. Sorry!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Does QLEAD help?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Doesn't make a difference. It's only a comsoc club and not a program run by the admissions department. I know of people who've gone to QLEAD who didn't get in and those that didn't go to QLEAD but got in. The point of QLEAD is to let you experience Queen's Commerce before you get here! Hope this helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Lol it's actually stupid. I wasn't accepted to qlead but actually got into queens comm...
Was this helpful? Yes 1

haha I didn't either but I'm still at Queen's Comm!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi I am a grade 12 student applying for QC this upcoming winter. I'm not sure if you know the answer but I'll give it a try. My grade 11 average was very bad because I did not try but I fast tracked some grade 12 courses and now have over a 90 average. Because my grade 12 year isn't over , will they be looking at my grade 11 marks or will they wait for my grade 12 ones to complete? 
Also did you submit a reference and have them get contacted?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

They tend to look at grade 12 marks unless you're applying as a chancellor nominee in which they will most likely look at your grade 11 ones. You only submit one reference and I'm not 100% sure if they got contacted.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Does being a Queens Chancellor's Nominee improve my chances for acceptance into the commerce program? 

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 1

From what I've read on previous Queen's commerce acceptance threads it does improve your chances.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

If you're a Chancellor's Nominee you will get in 9/10 times. I have yet to speak to anyone who got nominated and still got a rejection, but there are probably still some. I don't want to say that everyone who gets nominated gets into QComm, but a vast majority def do.
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Hi! For submitting PSE and SE, is the sooner the better? When do you recommend to submit it? Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I submitted mine around a week before the deadline (Feb 15 last year I think), but if you can get it done earlier, go for it!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

do you guys know by any chance what the minimum IB score is for admission? (referring to both Rotman and Queens) Thanks! 

Was this helpful? Yes 1

I didn't do IB so I'm not entirely sure, sorry!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I'm second year Queen's Commerce. I had 40 all in with 7s in Econ, Math, Chinese and 6s in History, Bio and English.  I got early acceptance to business at U of T, Ivey and McGill as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi there! I plan to apply to Western's Ivey program in these next upcoming months and while I have done a lot of research into it, I'm still confused and a bit scared to be honest. Do you think that these EC's are strong enough?
1) Peer Mentor for Grade 9's 
- Basically, I have a group of 10-12 grade 9's where I am their "go-to" person, I help them with any homework they have, peer tutoring especially in English, guiding them into the right clubs/groups they wanna join, and basically answering any questions they have for high school. I've done multiple workshops to prepare to lead the grade 9's into navigating high school, and have presented various different presentations to them regarding drugs/alcohol substance, peer pressure, cyberbullying, and so on

2) Volunteer at my Local Mosque
- My mosque has Sunday School for children 7-14 and I have been volunteering there for the past two years. As well, I have volunteered at our annual religious events where approx. 20,000-30,0000 people visit, and I volunteer with food, cleaning up the place, and security, making sure everything is safe for the visitors

3) Coordinated/MC of Winterlicious Play
- Performed in the Winterlicious Play last year, but this year going to help the Drama Teacher coordinating the order of the acts, and being the MC of the show itself.

Overall, I compete in sports, part of clubs like Model UN, DECA, HOSA, and so on, including volunteering in the local community. I also range a 87-92% average so I don't know if this will be enough

People keep saying that these EC'S need to be something that you devote 6+ hours too?? Is this true because while some people are telling me yes, others are telling me no.

Any advice will help!!! Thank you!!
Was this helpful? Yes 2

I think your EC's are pretty good since your first one talks about the impact you made in others' lives while the second one talks about dedication since you have been volunteering there for the past 2 years, and the last one shows the arts side of you and by coordinating, you're leading, so you can talk a bit about these things. As long as you devote a couple hours a week to these activities, you're fine, it doesn't have to be 6+ hours. Some of my activities averaged around 3 hours a week. It all comes down to how you write it. The one thing that I would say to improve is your grade. Ivey cares a bit more about your grade than other programs such as QComm. Hope this helps! Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 2