yconic - Incoming Commerce/Business 2021 Student
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Incoming Commerce/Business 2021 Student

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey guys! I've been seeing a couple of these incoming student posts, so I thought I'd do one for Business/Commerce in general.

I applied to York Schulich, UofT Rotman, UTM Commerce, Queen's Commerce, WLU BBA, and Western BMOS + Ivey AEO and got into all of them. I ended up choosing Queen's Commerce.

So feel free to reply to this post if you have any questions about any of the above universities or programs. I used this website a ton when I was applying so I thought I'd try to help some 2022 kids :) I also researched a lot for the above schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 3
112 replies

Hey! I applied to UofT and McMaster but I don't live in Ontario so I'm not sure if the application process is taking long because of that. I have a low 90s average and I applied to Commerce in U of T but I haven't yet received anything from them. How long did you have to wait for your acceptance, and is that because you might be living in Ontario and they review those first? Also, what was your average because it seems like you're pretty smart and involved in extra curriculars to be accepted into all of these schools? And I also heard that the Schullich has a very high employment rate after graduating so why did you accept Queens? Also, have you found any good scholarship opportunities to apply for? I've went through so many and have found maybe one or two that apply to me. Any for academics or leadership involvement you've come across? Thanks for putting your input in these threads. It's nice to see other people's perspectives here...
Was this helpful? Yes 1

U of T does not accept until they receive your grade 12 grades if I remember correctly. I got accepted during the first round which was on Feb 15th. 

In my personal opinion, Queen's has more opportunities than Schulich. Schulich has a much cheaper tuition rate, but overall when compared, Queen's just prepares you more for the working world. If I hadn't gotten into Queen's, Schulich would've been my #1 choice though, if that puts it into perspective.

I tried looking for scholarships, but I couldn't find many that matched me, but Queen's does give up an admissions bursary, a general bursary, and automatic scholarships. 

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hey! I am thinking of applying to the same schools you did (what a coincidence! Hopefully, I'll get similar results tho). However, I was wondering how the learning environment at Queens feels? And is it worth the expensive tuition?

Also, my EC's includes: being VP of a club, senior treasurer of Student Council, mentor to grade 9 students, 200+ community hours, part-time job, tutoring students at lunch etc. Would that be enough to showcase being in a variety of clubs? Or would they care more about exhibiting leadership skills? 

Thanks for doing this by the way! These posts really helps a bunch :)
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Personally, I feel it's very different from high school. The courses are super interesting with the exception of one, but overall I love it so far. It is definitely more work than high school, but that is to be expected. The tuition is not necessarily for the education, it is for all the network opportunities you get. I didn't see this value until I got here because now I can clearly see they have events essentially every night for students to interact with hiring reps. 

They would more likely care for leadership ability through these clubs. They don't necessarily have to be all about leadership, they just want to see that you're a well-rounded student and this usually means one leadership, one EC you've been committed for more than a year, and a club in which you've impacted someone else's life. I had somewhat similar EC's. You just have to be able to write well and clearly articulate what you did in those clubs and what it is that you accomplished.

Hope this helps! 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

Which business school is better for someone who might choose to stay in Toronto: Schulich or Rotman? Will I be missing out on a lot of opportunities if I reject offers to queens/ivey/laurier/Waterloo?
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Same omg! That's my biggest fear especially not having the option to move out
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Schulich and Rotman are around par. Rotman has a better name due to their MBA program, but it is also hard to get through first-year. Schulich is more lowkey, but their program is still good. Schulich does come with the name "York," so that might play a key role in some people's decisions. They both offer great opportunities, but overall if you're not afraid of the low retention rate at Rotman, that would be a good option. 

Secondly, you may miss out on opportunities such as independence, but in terms of schooling, you could be missing out on other networking opportunities. I can't speak for the other schools, but at Queen's, we have events going on nearly every single night in Goodes Hall (our business building) and it allows students to network and there are literally so many events you will never run out of things to do. I feel like in comparison, other schools may be lacking in this area and therefore may miss out on these critical opportunities. 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Do you notice a lot of private school kids go to queens commerce? I heard top private school kids like UCC and St.Mikes have a lot of students there! Would I not fit in since I go to a public school?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I definitely see a mix. We have kids from schools like UTS, UCC, Havergal, HTS, etc. At the same time, we also have a bunch of public school kids. Most of my friends are public school kids so that's the perspective I see. Don't worry, you'll definitely fit in!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

When you applied to UofT, how did you rank your college choices? I am not planning to live on res so will this matter a lot?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

You'll still be a part of a college, so maybe just research them before picking. I placed University, Trinity, and Victoria close to the top because I heard they were great.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

If I remember correctly, Trinity and Victoria both require a supplemental, and they're a bit more exclusive due to that. (Especially Trin). As well, I think University College is one of the biggest ones? I'm not entire sure, but if you're not living on res, it's not gonna be that big of an impact, but it's still gonna be considered your home. I honestly had no clue they had colleges until I was actually applying haha
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Do Chancellor's Nominees have a pretty good chance of getting into Queen's?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Yes, they do. Not just a pretty good chance but a very good chance. Being nominated means that you have 90%+ cumulative average and the school believe's you to have the best chance out of all the other students in your school.
Was this helpful? Yes 2

This post was deleted

For Queen's Commerce, I'd say a fairly good chance. I have yet to hear of a nominated chancellor not getting in. Some schools barely have anyone applying to be nominated so those kids that actually do apply just end up getting nominated with no hassle. Some schools are super competitive. It all depends. From Queen's point of view, if you are nominated, you will most likely get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 3

As a visible minority, I'm a little hesitant to go to Queen's Commerce because I hear that the majority of the population is Caucasian. I'm South Asian so I'm not sure if I'll fit in. Does Queen's have a welcoming student culture?
Was this helpful? Yes 2

There is definitely something with the racial diversity, but I think they're trying to change that. There's a ton of South Asian guys this year, and some South Asian girls. Don't worry about diversity. It's honestly not as bad as people make it out to be. I know people from a wide variety of backgrounds, and it's honestly super chill. Don't let this be the one reason you don't come to Queen's Commerce.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hello! I'm looking to go into Commerce as well and I have applied to 8 programs, including Rotman Commerce, Queen's, Western BMOS + Ivey, and York Schulich (I already got accepted to Ryerson and Ottawa).

I currently have an average of 96% and I'm on my school's music council, I'm the president of the Reach for the Top club and captain of the school team (it's a trivia thing) and I'm in various musical ensembles in school and out. I've volunteered as a tree-planter, as an English tutor at the Toronto Public Library, as a peer tutor at my high school, and at public events like Nuit Blanche Toronto. I've also attended leadership camps like the Ontario Educational Leadership Centre and I was a Senior Leader in my school's music program, so I helped facilitate two week-long leadership retreats in the fall.

I haven't really won any awards except for skill awards at Reach for the Top - my team won the house league and our school team has won regionals.

I haven't had a job, but I am wondering if honorarium counts as employment experience. I get paid per concert as a member of the Chinese Artists' Society of Toronto, but since it isn't hourly and not a typical job (like working at Starbucks etc.), does it count?

I know there's nothing I can do really except try my best in school and work the hell out of those essays, but I'm a pretty anxious and paranoid person, so what do you think my chances are of getting into my top four choices (Queen's, Ivey, Rotman, and Schulich)? Also, does anybody have any advice on writing the supplementary applications? Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Are you a Chancellor nominee for queens?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

no, somebody else got it.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hey, those extra curriculars sounds great, now it all depends on how you write about them! Talk about how your participation/leadership impacted your community and how you personally made a difference (show, don't just tell). Rotman and Schulich are basically guaranteed based on your information, and Queen's and Ivey are subjective based on the application. Don't stress about the Schu and Rotman apps, they're a breeze and mine for Schu went terribly, but I still got in haha. Feel free to put that as your job, it wouldn't hurt. 

Good luck! 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

This post was deleted

Hi, I've applied to Western's Dan Management school (was just accepted today), their Ivey business school, McGill's management school, Queen's commerce as a Chancellor's nominee, and Laurier/Waterloo's double degree bba and bmath program. I was wondering which programs are the most competitive to get into?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

When did you receive your Western acceptance? I applied to the same universities and I can guarantee that they're all super competitive. McGill may be less because they're mainly marks based.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Ya McGill is probably the least competitive out of all as it is only based on grades (which is kinda stupid for a business program tbh)
Was this helpful? Yes 1

In terms of acceptance rate, Queen's Comm is the most competitive. Followed by Ivey, and then McGill and then BMOS. 

If you're a Chancellor's Nominee you should be getting an acceptance soon lol I have yet to hear of a nominee not getting in. Good luck! 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I received my western acceptance yesterday. I heard that people who have applied to sciences just got accepted to Queens today but I haven't heard anything from them yet for commerce. Has anyone been accepted to Queen's commerce yet?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Acceptances start next week
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Early rounds, especially for Chancellor's Noms should be coming out soon. The rest go til May.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Not for Western BMOS, I got in earlier this week and I know a few people who did as well. Schools like Western, Brock and Laurier are already giving out acceptances so check your OUAC or email.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi,

I applied to Schulich through OUAC on a Friday December 8th and still have not received an acknowledgement or my York Reference Number. On the Schulich website, they said it would take 1-3 business days and it has been over 5. I check my applications and the e-mail confirmation said it was approved, but I'm wondering if I should just e-mail OUAC or Schulich or both?

Thanks. 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I got an email from Schulich today saying that there's been an error with their system and that they're trying to fix it.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi,
I'm currently a G12 student and I'm aiming for Rotman and Ivey. I have a few questions about the supplemental:
1)What were some of your EC you used?
2)Will there be a huge disadvantage if you don't have any contest awards or non-academic awards (cuz I only have an academic award)
3)Was there enough time for you during the writing component  for Rotman?
4)Any tips for the video interview?
5)When did you submit your supplemental (specifically for Rotman) and when did you receive your acceptance?
6)Does business students usually receive their acceptances later than other program? (cuz I heard several of my friends received their acceptances already, but they are all non-business programs)
Thank you very much for answering!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

1) I was a leader of a couple of clubs at school, I also led an event, and they focused around charity work so it was not too difficult to talk about the impact it had on others. I also talked about my job, and the volunteer work I did. 
2) Not at all, I don't think awards matter too much to them, tbh. I mean, how meaningful can your high school awards can be haha 
3) Yes definitely! The writing part for Rotman was easier than the oral part.
4) Don't fidget or be too nervous. Just try your best to speak confidently. Make some jot notes for some questions that you think they'll ask you. Ex. Give an example of a time you demonstrated being a leader
5) Dec 19 or whenever the last day for early acceptance applications were and I think I got it in January? I know it was first round but I can't be too sure about the date. 
6) Usually yes, but it depends. For contrast, these were approximately my dates: Laurier BBA (mid December), Rotman (January?), Schulich (February), Western BMOS (February?), UTM (January?), Ivey (March), Queen's Comm (April).

Good luck with apps!
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Do you suggest Rotman or UTSC BBA Coop
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I'm unfamiliar with UTSC BBA Coop, but for Rotman, it comes with both the great name and deadly drop out rates
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi, I applied to business programs, yet my strongest ECs are all music/art-related plus a non business related volunteer. Will that affect my application? Thank you for answering!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Absolutely not! It's not really what you do, but how you write about it. It doesn't have to be of business-related clubs because if you're applying to business programs, they already know you're interested in business, that's what I was told by an admission rep for Ivey. Best of luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

How extensive is the Schulich application? I'm considering applying but with the deadline at mid January I was wondering if I would have enough time to submit a quality application
Was this helpful? Yes 1

My application took approximately a week or so to do. It is a lengthy application due to the fact that it is a two-part application as there is a written portion and a video interview, and although the written piece is simple to fill out, but it does take time to write and edit it. It is worth it to try if Schulich is a school that you're aiming for! Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Deadline is at the end of January.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

It legit takes like few min to fill out the written part and you just do the interview quickly and done - that’s what everyone does
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi,
For my Schulich Supplementary Application, they ask me to describe up to 5 activities and provide a reps information. Does this rep have to be a teacher for a school club or can it be the student president? 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

An adult reference would be better.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Adult reference preferred. For your reference, none of my references got contacted and I still got in. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 1

This post was deleted

Who gives a shitttt? They are gonna look at both combined.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

This post was deleted

This post was deleted