yconic - Interested in Health Sciences & Nursing: Retake Gr 11 math?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Interested in Health Sciences & Nursing: Retake Gr 11 math?

A photo of Kaff Kaff
I'm officially ending my Grade 11 year tomorrow with my last exam. I'm interested in the UWO-Fanshawe Nursing program as well as the Health Sciences program and I think if I try really hard next year, I have a great chance on getting in. Here's the dilemma: my math mark is definitely not be as wonderful as I would like it to be. I know that Grade 11 marks don't count unless I want early admission/scholarship, but for the Nursing program they look at your Grade 11 Mixed or University math course, and the requirement is not 65% as stated by the schools website and brochures. Does anyone know if the program would look down on me for retaking this course to get a higher mark in exchange for one of my spares next year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of emotycka emotycka
They won't look down on you for taking it at all. However, if you just work to improve your grade 12 marks and show how you can do better, they likely won't pay as much attention to your grade 11 math mark. It's more important how you do in grade 12 than what you do in grade 11.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I got accepted to the Western (UWO) Nursing program for next year and I also agree with emotycka; they will only look at your grade 11 marks for the purpose of early admissions. But the Western-Fanshawe collaborated nursing program will only give out 10-15% of offers to early admission folk, and the remaining 85-90% of offers is for regular admission (grade 12 marks). So, don't worry about your grade 11 mark... as long as you work hard and get a good average in grade 12 (I think the cut-off average this year was 87 or 88% for Western... Fanshawe site tends to be a bit lower.), you will be fine. :)
You can re-take the grade 11 course for yourself if you really want to, but it is not necessary as regular admission evaluation is done with your "top 6" grade 12 courses. It's totally up to you (especially if you want to aim for Scholarships and whatnot).

If you have any questions about the Western-Fanshawe program, let me know. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kaff Kaff
Thank you! I might take a night class instead of taking away a spare, but for now I'm trying to figure out if I'll be allowed into a class :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kaff Kaff
By the way, I had a guidance appointment today at my school and my guidance counselor had told me that the school will look to see if I have at least a 65% in Math?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

They'll look at your top six and your grade 12 marks. grade 11 marks really only come into play for early acceptance. If you're worried about the math, take gr.12 math and work to get a higher grade. It would show progress. Honestly, I wouldn't retake the course. they don't put much emphasis on grade 11....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

and for the record....I've never heard about this 65 percent math thing...
Was this helpful? Yes 0