yconic - Interested in Vet Tech Pre-Vet Med blog?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Interested in Vet Tech Pre-Vet Med blog?

A photo of aca10 aca10
Are there any grade 11/12s out there that are interested in getting into the Veterinary Technology/Pre-Vet Med field? If you are, would you be interested in reading a blog about the day-to-day life of someone in this program? It could be very useful for you in helping you make up your mind, and it could also be interesting to read about something that you're interested in as well.

Let me know! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
18 replies

A photo of squirrelly1995 squirrelly1995
I'm interested!:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aca10 aca10
Really, you're interested? That's awesome! I didn't really think anyone would be, honestly! Are you in high school now and wanting to pursue a career in animal sciences?

I will definitely get it started & post the link for you!:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Are you in vet tech/vet school right now?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aca10 aca10
Yes I am, why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Just wondering :). Which school do you go to? I just started my first year at OVC. There aren't very many people interested in vet tech/vet med on here, and there isn't anyone else who's a current vet tech/vet med student; so it's cool that there's more of us now!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aca10 aca10
Oh okay! I thought you were going to say something negative about my idea lol sorry! I am currently at Medaille College and OVC is definitely a dream of mine once I'm done at Medaille. How is first year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Are you Canadian or American? That's cool if you're from the US, all the international students in my class are from the US as well :) (including several from NY). First year is great, things are definitely starting to pick up though. We have at least one midterm per week starting next Monday until exams ahh :/.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aca10 aca10
I'm actually Canadian. The school and program were just a better fit for me than doing everything individually .. if that makes any sense! LOL I'm glad to hear that your first year is going well! I hope all your midterms go well .. I'm sure you'll have no problem! :) Like I said before, my dream is to be admitted into the OVC program -- any advice you'd care to share?:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aca10 aca10
So if anyone is interested in reading the blog, please PM me and I will send you the link! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh that's cool. As for advice, most people at OVC seem to have taken one of 2 roads to get into the program: great marks (3.8+ GPA) and low-average amount of experience, or average-good marks and lots of experience. Very few people have both amazing marks and 5000+ hours (unless they grew up on a farm or something). If you're one of those lucky people, then you're golden haha. If not, whichever side you're on (great marks or great experience), work on making the good part of your application stand out even more. I was part of the great marks but embarrassingly little experience group, so I just focused on school to make sure I applied with the highest GPA possible rather than volunteering more and possibly having my grades drop (and losing my one advantage). Similarly, if you have a lot of diverse experience, work on your relationships with those vets so you get excellent reference letters and you'll have lots to talk about in your essays/interview. But grades are still important to getting an interview in the first place so just don't let them drop too low for the sake of gaining more experience.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aca10 aca10
That's great advice, thank you! This may sound like a juvenile question but, when you apply to OVC do they require your high school transcripts as well or just transcripts from a post-secondary institution? I was reading on the OVC website and the interview seems intense .. along with writing the MCAT's. Any advice on that one?! Hahah
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Nope they don't need your high school transcripts. The only exception to that is if you weren't born in Canada and then they'll ask to see it to make sure you're competent in English/have taken 4 years of high school English and don't need to write the TOEFL (English proficiency test).

The interview is pretty intense since it's 80 mins long but the time honestly flies by. I practiced with med school MMI samples but really the key to doing well is just make sure you're ok with public speaking. I have a friend who applied with good marks, above average experience (better than mine), and he got an interview but was rejected afterwards because even though he's a very friendly and outgoing guy, he freezes up in public speaking situations and he didn't do well on the interview. The interview is marked out of 90 and the average for my class was 65/90 or something like that, with the range being 53-85.

The MCAT..oh man it was the most brutal test I've ever sat. Luckily for OVC you don't need a stellar MCAT score and it only counts for 20% of your ranking (if you look at the class statistics, the mean is usually about 27-28Q). I got a 32Q, which is a pretty average score, and I have friends who got in with 28Q/29Q. I didn't take a prep course (bought the Kaplan MCAT Premier book and self-studied) but a lot of people do, so that's a personal choice. Study continuously/daily for 2-4 months max before writing it (any longer and you risk burning out). Find past AAMC MCAT exams, there's usually 1 free one on the AAMC site, some come with the prep books, and the rest I downloaded through torrents. Those are the best gauge of how prepared you are for each section.

Hope this helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aca10 aca10
Wow, you've been very helpful! Thank you so much! I now know who to go to if I have any questions! LoL Thanks again & good luck with all your midterms, finals and the remainder of your program! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

No problem, and thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NicholeHudson NicholeHudson
Being a veterinary technician is really satisfactory for animal lovers. But sometimes the work can be unpleasant, physically and emotionally demanding, and dangerous even.
Getting into this career needs either a 2-year associate program or a 4-year bachelor's degree in veterinary.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aca10 aca10
I definitely agree Nicole! It can be unpleasant, physically and emotionally demanding, but if you love what you're doing, it can be very rewarding.
And again, you're correct, you need either a 2 year Associates or 4 year Bachelors in order to get into this career.
I'm completing a dual major where you get your Associates and Bachelors with vet school pre-reqs. I find that another option for students who want to do both and who do not have an undergraduate degree, imo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aca10 aca10
Inthemaking -- how many hours did you have when you applied & what is the lowest amount of hours you've heard
someone get in to OVC with (experience hours).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

My hours:
vet experience - 1246 h SA, 80 h exotics
animal experience - 587 h SA, 10 h avian, 40 h equine, 20 h zoo

I don't know too many people's numbers, to be honest, the ones I do know have a lot (5000+ overall), there are a lot of people who have been raised on farms or show/breed dogs or compete/show horses from a young age so they've accumulated a lot of hours over the years. The most important thing is to get sufficient vet experience (at least 800-1000 h imo) in the area you want to go into. One of the essay questions asks which part of vet med you're interested in and it would reflect poorly on you if you have no vet experience in that field. I want to go into SA/exotics surgery, and my friend who wants to go into zoo/wildlife only has zoo/wildlife vet experience with minimal SA experience (20 h). So it's not a dealbreaker if you have limited vet experience so long as you do have experience in your area of interest.
Was this helpful? Yes 0